BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Don’t know if you were in here at the time but there actually was a lad who’s bedroom window faced the training ground at Brockhall. He used to post the Saturday team early and was bang on every time.

IIRC his dad found out and gave him a bollocking and he stopped posting. Hopefully he came back under a different alias.

Turns out his dad is Argentinian.

• Like 1

Criminal to let Downing out, absolutely criminal. If Mowbray really does want to play 3 at the back, then we're one injury at centre half away from having to play Williams there... I'd put my house on Downing being a better left back too.

My thoughts on this summers transfer window is ''Upgrades''

Paul Downing is very much a League One defender, he's not what we need long term if we want Premier League ambitions.

Decent servant though.

29 League Starts (2 sub) 1 League Goal - Blackpool (a) 28/11/17

1 Cup Start (1 sub) 1 Cup Goal - vs. Lincoln City (h) 28/8/18 

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Criminal to let Downing out, absolutely criminal. If Mowbray really does want to play 3 at the back, then we're one injury at centre half away from having to play Williams there... I'd put my house on Downing being a better left back too.

8 days of the window left 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

8 days of the window left 

Listening to Mowbray's live presser now on twitter. Stated he's more than happy with his Centre Half options of Mulgrew, Lenihan, Rodwell and Williams. Also said that Nyambe and Bell have played there recently and that if another 'defensive crisis comes up we'll manage". Not one of them players above are centre halves.

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Mowbray not interested in a replacement for Downing ..hes happy with who hes got ..from the horses mouth at his pre game press conference.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Listening to Mowbray's live presser now on twitter. Stated he's more than happy with his Centre Half options of Mulgrew, Lenihan, Rodwell and Williams. Also said that Nyambe and Bell have played there recently and that if another 'defensive crisis comes up we'll manage". Not one of them players above are centre halves.

Those comments are certainly worrying. The fact Downing has already played this season, suggests we needed him or another centre half. 

Another quote from Mowbray just now. 

"we'll only look to strengthen if the player comes in and improves our starting XI" and that he wasn't interested in squad players just now. Not being funny Tony but you said the exact same thing in summer and of all your signings in summer only one gets in the team regularly in Reed and he isn't even our player. Armstrong was here last year so not really counting him.

• Backroom
Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Unfortunately that probably tells you all you need to know about our ambition for this season. If Mowbray considers Nyambe, Bell and Williams good enough cover at centre back for the rest of the season then he's either praying for a miracle in Mulgrew & Rodwell both staying fit or isn't targeting anything close to a top six finish.  

If we are serious about trying for top 6 then we will bring in a centre back, if we are happy with the season petering out with a mid table finish then we will go with what we have. I don't see Williams as a viable option at centre back particularly for a side looking towards top 6, so that leaves us with Lenihan, Mulgrew and Rodwell. In Mulgrew and Rodwell you have two players who are both prone to knocks that can keep them out for a few weeks at a time. And the fact that Downing has played and been on the bench this season shows that we are now a central defender light. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

Another interesting one was he deliberately stated ‘possibly one or 2 free signings that can help our depth as we progress’ after talking about waiting for signings. I assume this was referencing the summer window and Bauer and Chapman, both linked and publicly liked by Mowbray. 

12 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

TM - Downing 3 appearances in 28 .. not one to usually make the 18

Ya, but what would we have done in those 3 games if Downing wasn't here is the question. 

We have loan spaces. I don't see why we can't just loan a Premier league reserve centre half in, particularity as we have let Grayson leave on loan too. 

This could come back and bite us in the ass 

Ya, but what would we have done in those 3 games if Downing wasn't here is the question. 

We have loan spaces. I don't see why we can't just loan a Premier league reserve centre half in, particularity as we have let Grayson leave on loan too. 

This could come back and bite us in the ass 

How long is a piece of string? Could say we need ten ..just in case.

25 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Mowbray not interested in a replacement for Downing ..hes happy with who hes got ..from the horses mouth at his pre game press conference.

Foolish if we're not bringing someone in. Rodwell and Mulgrew have a history of injuries and Lenihan was out for a long while last season. In my experience centre halves take a bit of a bashing physically, or they should do.

Don't get ya? 

Well you could have six CBs and still end up with all six injured. How many players for each position does a club have to carry to cover every eventuality.

Liverpool lost all their CBs and had to draft in a midfielder to play CB ..Fabinho. It happens ..but you hope it doesn't !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HowieFive0 said:

Well you could have six CBs and still end up with all six injured. How many players for each position does a club have to carry to cover every eventuality.

Liverpool lost all their CBs and had to draft in a midfielder to play CB ..Fabinho. It happens ..but you hope it doesn't !

True, but we have spaces for loans, so I don't see why we don't just use them. 

12 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

How long is a piece of string? Could say we need ten ..just in case.

Better to be over prepared than under. I don't care if a youth kid from the premier league plays. Just that he's an option if needed. They can sit in the stands for 6 months for all I care.

Missing a trick not going for it this year. It's a piss poor division and it's there for the taking. Do people generally believe Dack or Reed will be here next year in the championship? 

Another bowyer I'm afraid to tell you all.

• Like 2

True, but we have spaces for loans, so I don't see why we don't just use them. 

Maybe other positions already earmarked for future loan signings ? ?

No question that we need a CB long term  but a CB that's better than any we ve got now and on a permanent deal.