BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Not in January. Impossible to do dealings in January that are of any note.

A well worn myth.

Of the top of my head Conway, Graham and Bennett all arrived at Rovers during January windows.

They surely are of some note.

There will be plenty more examples at most Clubs.

It just comes down to the quality of the scouting and recruitment department.

If we are now just in for 2/3 loans it explains why Waggot and Mowbray's Pune trip was rightly cancelled as pointless.

As others have said if a club is not continuously looking to improve it's squad then it will start to regress.

I hope Mowbray's continuous talk of loyalty to the squad is for the players ears to protect their fragile egos and that in reality he actually does have a masterplan. One can hope.

• Like 1

Having dished out new and improved contracts in the last 6 months to the majority of the squad Mowbray might have some difficulties in persuading the money men in India that  we need to continue to evolve and improve. They'll be wondering why they bothered sanctioning those wage rises and extensions if after 6 months back in the Championship we're looking at replacing most of them.

Just now, JHRover said:

Having dished out new and improved contracts in the last 6 months to the majority of the squad Mowbray might have some difficulties in persuading the money men in India that  we need to continue to evolve and improve. They'll be wondering why they bothered sanctioning those wage rises and extensions if after 6 months back in the Championship we're looking at replacing most of them.

They would have a good point too!

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

A well worn myth.

Of the top of my head Conway, Graham and Bennett all arrived at Rovers during January windows.

They surely are of some note.

There will be plenty more examples at most Clubs.

It just comes down to the quality of the scouting and recruitment department.

If we are now just in for 2/3 loans it explains why Waggot and Mowbray's Pune trip was rightly cancelled as pointless.

As others have said if a club is not continuously looking to improve it's squad then it will start to regress.

I hope Mowbray's continuous talk of loyalty to the squad is for the players ears to protect their fragile egos and that in reality he actually does have a masterplan. One can hope.

And Savage, Nelsen, Samba, Dunny...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

And isn't it great the new contacts were offered and signed in such a timely manner? Shows things are becoming more organised behind the scenes and that players have no hesitation signing on to stay here. 

Six months is a long time in football. Teams and players lose form, managers gets sacked. Just because players were given new contracts last summer doesn't mean they should be automatic picks and or that they cannot be replaced. Football is constantly changing;  the "money men" in India or at Ewood should know that by now. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

And isn't it great the new contacts were offered and signed in such a timely manner? Shows things are becoming more organised behind the scenes and that players have no hesitation signing on to stay here. 

Yes, I was very pleased that that element of business was done quickly and particularly in the cases of Graham, Lenihan and Dack we acted to protect our investments.

I suspect Mowbray managed to convince the owners that those needed doing as without doing it we would be open to having them picked off by rival clubs and unhappiness from those players if they weren't paid competitive salaries by this level. I also suspect that some of those players who 'signed' improved terms were actually entitled to such upon promotion back to the Championship.

But again, if I were the one signing the cheques and Mowbray came to me asking for a couple of million quid to sign another striker or a CB to improve on Mulgrew and Lenihan, purely from a business perspective I'd be asking why those already here aren't sufficient.

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Football is constantly changing;  the "money men" in India or at Ewood should know that by now. 

Absolutely, they should know that, but I'm not sure they do. Hence spending massive amounts on a teenage multi-year development project like Brereton and not on players who could hit the ground running and improve the squad here and now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes, I was very pleased that that element of business was done quickly and particularly in the cases of Graham, Lenihan and Dack we acted to protect our investments.

I suspect Mowbray managed to convince the owners that those needed doing as without doing it we would be open to having them picked off by rival clubs and unhappiness from those players if they weren't paid competitive salaries by this level. I also suspect that some of those players who 'signed' improved terms were actually entitled to such upon promotion back to the Championship.

But again, if I were the one signing the cheques and Mowbray came to me asking for a couple of million quid to sign another striker or a CB to improve on Mulgrew and Lenihan, purely from a business perspective I'd be asking why those already here aren't sufficient.

Well I can imagine them saying that if he asked for more money for a striker alright. 

At the end of the day, Wigan and Preston games aside, we are very competitive this season and are over achieving. So Mowbray is doing a great job building the squad and working with who is at his disposal. 

I think we have a good squad, so hopefully we can have a good end to the season,. I'm not too bothered about transfers this month to be honest. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

35 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I would hazard a guess that it is. Said the same last January that nobody was coming in to 'replace' anyone, yet Armstrong and Bell are both currently first choice in our system and Jack Payne more than weighed in with his fair share although was probably slightly underused.

A quick winger or 2, a goal grabber and a centre half and I think that'll be job done for January. 

Chapman/Maddison 

Tom Eaves /Maja

Bauer

Those 3/4 would be able to come straight into the first team squad and wouldn't cost a great deal either. 

Leave the rest of the money until summer then really push on and build a team able to maintain a promotion push. 

Edited by ChrisPriceBaldSpot

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No. The likes of Conway, Bennett, Evans and Graham should never have been given new contracts.

As he aluded to in his interview with Henry Winter, TM is far too focused on looking after players already here and doesn't seem to be showing any appetite for the occasionally uncomfortable task of upgrading the squad and replacing certain  players with better ones.

Arguably when Reed goes back we'll be in exactly the same position as we were when we were promoted save that certain players who TM considers mainstays will be another year nearer retirement but still enjoying their golden handshakes.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No. The likes of Conway, Bennett, Evans and Graham should never have been given new contracts.

As he aluded to in his interview with Henry Winter, TM is far too focused on looking after players already here and doesn't seem to be showing any appetite for the occasionally uncomfortable task of upgrading the squad and replacing certain  players with better ones.

Arguably when Reed goes back we'll be in exactly the same position as we were when we were promoted save that certain players who TM considers mainstays will be another year nearer retirement but still enjoying their golden handshakes.

I agree re Conway...possibly Evans. But Bennett certainly seemed worth a new contract...and Graham's latest one seemed to be a condition of his previous one..i.e. after so many starts or something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's rubbish and I think most fans will agree with me.  

Mowbray has improved the squad since he took over. The thing is he is doing it the right way. Slash and burn will get you nowhere. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Looking back over the history of football management not being able to improve a successful team has got plenty of managers the sack. I was reading about Bill Shankly the other day, a great manager but totally ruthless when it came to moving players on, as club legends like Ian St John, Roger Hunt, Ronnie Yeats all found out

• Like 2

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

and Graham's latest one seemed to be a condition of his previous one..i.e. after so many starts or something.

That's just ridiculous. So after another 25 appearances next season he should be automatically entitled to another one?

You never know if he's going to be available. He should have been replaced in summer with someone in his prime (not BB) and used more sparingly as capable back up this season allowing him to leave at the end of this season with everyone's thanks when his previous deal expired.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking back over the history of football management not being able to improve a successful team has got plenty of managers the sack. I was reading about Bill Shankly the other day, a great manager but totally ruthless when it came to moving players on, as club legends like Ian St John, Roger Hunt, Ronnie Yeats all found out

Has Mowbray improved the squad he inherited? 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

That's just ridiculous. So after another 25 appearances next season he should be automatically entitled to another one?

You never know if he's going to be available. He should have been replaced in summer with someone in his prime (not BB) and used more sparingly as capable back up this season allowing him to leave at the end of this season with everyone's thanks when his previous deal expired.

That's not how contracts work. 

What are actually talking about? Graham is one of our best players. What nonsense. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Has Mowbray improved the squad he inherited? 

Only Dack has been a roaring success. Reed is a good player but will he be here next season. Everybody else will be a year older and the stalwarts are not likely to be better. If we stay up I think we'll probably be OK next season but if we're looking for promotion we need changes.

• Like 1