Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

4 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Bowyer,  also had a very good squad at his disposal and fluffed his lines  !!!

See how he  does at Bradford !

Not saying it wasn’t time for him to go, it was. More comparing how TM avoids any criticism with the majority of Ewood.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

At the end of the day, some fans are simply blinded by the blues-and-white halves and want to be seen as a proper, thick-and-thin, RTID supporter.

Some are like that, of course.

But I can’t remember a manager that gets such unequivocal support by so many as this fella.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

But I can’t remember a manager that gets such unequivocal support by so many as this fella.

I’m not convinced it’s unequivocal across the fanbase but clearly the section you sit in is.

I’d wager that there is now a lot of apathy that has replaced what would have been anger a few years ago.

• Like 1

Have you heard anyone at Ewood or anyone you know in ‘real life’ that is an attendee saying he should be replaced?

I haven’t. And not just that, he rarely seems to even get criticised directly, ‘it is player x’s fault’, ‘player y isn’t good enough’ etc. The total opposite of Coyle and later Bowyer eras.

Edited by Mattyblue

Apathy rules at Ewood, from the boardroom to the manager to the players to large sections of the crowd at Ewood.

I can understand (partly) the people at the top now wanting to upset the applecart, because they're getting very well paid and don't want to lose their jobs, but fans not appearing to care about the direction of the club is inexcusable.

Why can't they see that Mowbray's time is up.? 

• Like 3

Have you heard anyone at Ewood or anyone you know in ‘real life’ that is an attendee saying he should be replaced?

I haven’t. And not just that, he rarely seems to even get criticised directly, it is player x’s fault, player y is it good enough etc. The total opposite of Coyle and later Bowyer eras.

Well, yes, I do but not enough people to refute the point you are making.

I just think people are losing interest in the process.

The fact is that the time to bring in a new manager is now and not when we are in a relegation battle.

• Backroom

Promotion and the good will that came from that last season probably plays a huge role in that. The fact we should never have been in that division in the first place and had a squad and budget far beyond the reach of pretty much every other club isn't really taken into account. We should probably have won the division, but coming second was the bare minimum in my view. Playoffs would have been below expectation. 

I'm not trying to diminish the achievement as big clubs have gone down to L1 and struggled to get back up quickly, but nor do I see last season's promotion as anything magnificent. It met the expectation. You could argue we've also met the expectation this season by most likely consolidating our position, but much like second place last season was bare minimum, we're similarly likely to finish at bare minimum requirement this season of just about keeping our heads above water. There's nothing to suggest that Mowbray will ever take us beyond those minimum expectations, and as a result the margin for error is very small and the chances of punching above our weight become close to impossible to attain. If we as a fanbase have any ambition for this club we need to demand much better than what we're seeing now.

• Like 2

As tomphil says, takes a lot to move the Rovers support - unless you’re Coyle.

I can still remember getting into rows about Kean on the Blackburn End, in his SECOND season. He had much more support for much longer than many like to remember.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

As tomphil says, takes a lot to move the Rovers support - unless you’re Coyle.

I can still remember getting into rows about Kean on the Blackburn End, in his SECOND season. He had much more support for much longer than many like to remember.

Very true and the stewards were patrolling looking for dissenting voices !!

End of the season I’ll have a good hard think.

After today I genuinely don’t know where the next point is coming from.

Thats a worry.

It was the complete lack of fight or urgency that worried me today - my favourite aspects of the last couple of years and what has still  kept me believing we have something to work with.

• Backroom

With Mowbray's recent comments about letting the dressing room sort itself out, I do wonder how much of that spirit was down to him, and how much was down to a lot of the players just being mates and getting on with each other. Now that Dack is going off the rails, Mulgrew is completely out of form, Bennett is all over the place and the youngsters are struggling, perhaps the players are struggling to get themselves on the same page. Does TM retain the type of authority where he could get the players together and sort them out? Based on past comments I'm not sure, and it was worrying to me when he started talking about how the dressing room is the player's domain and he doesn't get involved. I can't imagine many top managers coming out with comments like that. In fact I've never heard any other manager say that.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

With Mowbray's recent comments about letting the dressing room sort itself out, I do wonder how much of that spirit was down to him, and how much was down to a lot of the players just being mates and getting on with each other. Now that Dack is going off the rails, Mulgrew is completely out of form, Bennett is all over the place and the youngsters are struggling, perhaps the players are struggling to get themselves on the same page. Does TM retain the type of authority where he could get the players together and sort them out? Based on past comments I'm not sure, and it was worrying to me when he started talking about how the dressing room is the player's domain and he doesn't get involved. I can't imagine many top managers coming out with comments like that. In fact I've never heard any other manager say that.

I think you could call it a modern approach. The kind of thing that works with a Pep or a Solksjaer in comparison to a Mourinho.

Difference is a lot of our “big characters” are not Kompanys or Pogbas and have been pretty fucking shit.

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Backroom
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I think you could call it a modern approach. The kind of thing that works with a Pep or a Solksjaer in comparison to a Mourinho.

Difference is a lot of our “big characters” are not Kompanys or Pogbas and have been pretty fucking shit.

I appreciate that in the modern game you need to give the players some degree of control, but Mowbray's comments made it sound like at half time he just went out for a cup of tea whilst the lads discussed amongst themselves, then came back just as they were about to go out and said "alright boys, go get 'em!" ... now it was probably just TM wording it badly, but even so those comments didn't give me confidence Mowbray has a good grip on this team. They like him, sure, but do they respect him enough to really listen when he has something to say? Based on the last five months, barring January, it seems increasingly that the answer is no.

Just now, DE. said:

I appreciate that in the modern game you need to give the players some degree of control, but Mowbray's comments made it sound like at half time he just went out for a cup of tea whilst the lads discussed amongst themselves, then came back just as they were about to go out and said "alright boys, go get 'em!" ... now it was probably just TM wording it badly, but even so those comments didn't give me confidence Mowbray has a good grip on this team. They like him, sure, but do they respect him enough to really listen when he has something to say? Based on the last five months, barring January, it seems increasingly that the answer is no.

Sorry which post match interview are you referring to?

Nothing on Radio Lancs Twitter and the ifollow one is a whole lot of nothing as I remember.

• Backroom

Sorry which post match interview are you referring to?

Nothing on Radio Lancs Twitter and the ifollow one is a whole lot of nothing as I remember.

Not sure it was post match, I can't remember where it was from. It caused a bit of a furore when it came out though. I think it might have been back in November when Wigan and Preston beat us.

Just now, DE. said:

Not sure it was post match, I can't remember where it was from. It caused a bit of a furore when it came out though. I think it might have been back in November when Wigan and Preston beat us.

Ah I thought you meant today.

If that second half urgency was due to a self directed team talk I’d sack the lot of them.

If you’re playing well, and the lads are up for it - let them take care of it.

The “leaders” we’ve got on the pitch in Benno, Mulgrew and Graham were absolutely nowhere today.

Lifeless.

Need surgery.

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Backroom

Ah I thought you meant today.

If that second half urgency was due to a self directed team talk I’d sack the lot of them.

If you’re playing well, and the lads are up for it - let them take care of it.

The “leaders” we’ve got on the pitch in Benno, Mulgrew and Graham were absolutely nowhere today. Lifeless.

Need surgery.

Easy to be a "leader" when things are going well, but the real leaders show themselves when things aren't going as planned. Do we have any? 

Just now, DE. said:

Easy to be a "leader" when things are going well, but the real leaders show themselves when things aren't going as planned. Do we have any? 

I’ve become very disillusioned with Mulgrew and Bennett. They’d have carried a few teams out of league one.

But they’ve been arguably our worst regular starters this year.

Fight can only take you so far.

It looked like they’d lost even that today.

• Backroom

I’ve become very disillusioned with Mulgrew and Bennett. They’d have carried a few teams out of league one.

But they’ve been arguably our worst regular starters this year.

Fight can only take you so far.

It looked like they’d lost even that today.

Bennett is the type of player who is fine when surrounded by players that hide his weaknesses, but struggles otherwise. Like a poundstore version of James Milner. Mulgrew was never the best defender, even in L1, but age combined with playing at a higher level really seems to have caught up with him now. It's a shame but neither should be starting for us next season. Probably time for Mulgrew to move on - I'd keep Bennett as a squad player, as in the right team I still think he can be effective and his energy if nothing else should be useful coming off the bench for the last twenty minutes if we need to scrap.

It's scary how big of an overhaul we need in the summer though, both in terms of personnel and playing style. If Mowbray is staying then he had better be thinking about it already, as there is a lot of work to be done.  

• Like 4

Just now, Mercer said:

Please do the decent thing Mowbray and just walk away and go enjoy your wife's lemon drizzle cake to your heart's content.

Benno’s got pictures of Mogga piping icing, surely.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Mowbray still has goodwill with some fans from last season's promotion to earn the benefit of the doubt. I guess the thinking is that with a season in the Championship under our belts we can consolidate in the summer and push on. And perhaps more pertinently the fear of Venkys spinning the roulette that encourages this status quo bias.

• Like 1