Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Thought I’d test the mood music around me today.

Nobody had even contemplated his removal. Even when I pushed them by saying ‘well what if we get go say October and we are in the bottom 3?’

Even then there was only a begrudging acceptance that he should be even under threat.

Bombproof with the majority of Ewood I would wager.

To be honest I blame Kean, Coyle and Venkys for this too. 

After seeing dishonesty and obvious dodgy dealings flaunted through the club, a chap who a) clearly isn't like this, and b) has something positive to his name (the only positive thing since Venkys rocked up) is bound to get a well of goodwill. Just in comparison to the above, he is head and shoulders above them, and this if nothing else makes him bomb proof. 

Problem is whilst TM is head and shoulders above  the aforementioned, he's still inept and it is going to cost us big time over the next 6 months. 

• Like 2

Nobody had even contemplated his removal. Even when I pushed them by saying ‘well what if we get go say October and we are in the bottom 3?’

Even then there was only a begrudging acceptance that he should be even under threat.

That's very surprising. 

At the start of the season I thought fans were not picking and overly critical considering we were doing well. The collapse since January is inexcusable. We don't look like winning a game 

But you know what it's like at Ewood a lot keep their lid on even Souness commented we are the most patient crowd he's ever come across.  However being an odd bunch it sometimes takes something odd as a tipping point but when Ewood blows it blows big style and it's usually too late then for team and manager.

Only notable exception I can think of is the first home game last season when I think TM and the players were visibly shell shocked at the force of it out of nowhere after we'd gone down with barely a whimper.  Turned out to be the best thing the crowd did in the last few years, they'd do well to remember that tonight in the bowels of the club.

• Like 4

Having given this much thought , it is time he was relieved of his post ...

To play Evans and Smallwood today was  staggering ..

Reed and Travis are far superior especially Reed , he might not be our player but surely to God , you pick your best available 11 ??

Dack was missing but I tell you Graham is totally lost without him ...

The much maligned Raya played well today and saved us from a 3-0 defeat (minimum defeat  ) against a poor side albeit difficult to breakdown.

Time , to go Tony Mowbray thanks for last season .... 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Just forced myself to take a look back at our results under Kean to see if he took us on a worse run...

In 2010-11 we went on a run of 4 points out of 30 between February and March. We then won and drew a few in April to keep our heads above water.

In 2011-12 we started off with 4 points out of 39 (!) which was our worst run of the season. Mowbray isn't quite there yet, so for now he doesn't hold the record for worst run under Venky's. Lose our next three games though and he will do.

We never came close to a run this bad under Coyle.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Just to note the poll stood at 60 to stay and 75 to go before the Stoke match kicked off... now 59 to 91. That said I imagine a lucky win would swing it back to a tighter margin, as it usually did under Kean. 

50 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

I got that feeling too. Hate to think about next season, same players, low gates, more financial problems at the club.

If he walked now - they aren't going to sack him - there would be something to look forward to.

I think he will have to walk rather than pushed.

The thing is, while fans stay off his back I don’t think he will.

The crowd is going to turn, you could feel it today. But it’s more likely that they will turn against the players rather than the manager.

Just now, DE. said:

Just forced myself to take a look back at our results under Kean to see if he took us on a worse run...

In 2010-11 we went on a run of 4 points out of 30 between February and March. We then won and drew a few in April to keep our heads above water.

In 2011-12 we started off with 4 points out of 39 (!) which was our worst run of the season. Mowbray isn't quite there yet, so for now he doesn't hold the record for worst run under Venky's. Lose our next three games though and he will do.

We never came close to a run this bad under Coyle.

Don’t you read my posts? ;) 

TM has done an incredible job this season. It’s a poor squad and he’s got the best out of it for the majority of the season. The players are being found out now hence the poor results lately. 

I can understand the frustration but there’s no way he should lose his job.

He made some big mistakes in January - not buying anyone who could come straight into the first 11 and allowing Downing to leave. That’s coming back to bite us now.

Just now, rovers11 said:

TM has done an incredible job this season. It’s a poor squad and he’s got the best out of it for the majority of the season. The players are being found out now hence the poor results lately. 

He made some big mistakes in January - not buying anyone who could come straight into the first 11 and allowing Downing to leave. That’s coming back to bite us now.

It bit us within a couple of weeks just as predicted it would he made a weak defence even weaker. Piss poor management that from someone so experienced and what we've seen of him second half of this season is exactly what they did at WNA, Boro, Celtic & Coventry after he'd been found out.

He has obvious strengths the main one being experience something we just haven't had under Venkys but on the pitch he's very far from being astute, average on a good day piss poor the rest.

All the evidence is out there and it is fact i'm afraid, he was on the scrap heap when someone scooped him up and plonked him in front of Venkys that's another fact.

Head has to rule heart in football nothing else matters. Bowyer was cut a bum deal when he was sacked but if TM was sacked now after the past few months we couldn't really say that in all honesty could we, he's had money and 8 months since promotion. No we don't expect the play offs but I think we are perfectly entitled to expect a bit better than what we are seeing the alarm bells are ringing loud and clear now.

Bowyer was at the end of the road.

However, he’d been left with a poor squad and spent nowt in the last 12 months. Yet, the fans wanted him gone.

This fella has spent £10 million this season, has us in the same position as GB, but because we got out of a tinpot league he gets a free pass from the support.

• Like 2

However, he’d been left with a poor squad and spent nowt in the last 12 months. Yet, the fans wanted him gone.

This fella has spent £10 million this season, has us in the same position as GB, but because we got out of a tinpot league he gets a free pass from the support.

Bowyer,  also had a very good squad at his disposal and fluffed his lines  !!!

See how he  does at Bradford !

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

An incredible job? How? Genuinely curious as to what is incredible about it. 

Staving off relegation in his first season (although admittedly that wasn't an easy ask)? 

Getting us promoted with one of the biggest budgets and a lower championship level squad - it's a decent achievement, maybe even good, but it's hardly incredible. 

This season - not sure what is incredible or even that he has got the best out of it. 

Firstly a run of 11 games with only 1 win is nearly a quarter of the season, so not sure where the majority of the season comes in. Secondly, which players have looked at their best - arguably Dack and Graham , but who else?

It seems a bit contradictory to say they're a poor squad and TM is getting the best from them. Getting the best out of average players to me seems to suggest Sheffield United, or even a Preston or Bristol City type scenario, not where we are at.

Equally I'm not buying that TM has been surprised by how poor they are - he got to see the vast majority of them in the championship pre-relegation in action, as well as work with them for a year in league 1 to assess their level. I'll agree some elements of the squad are hogwash but if within his first 2 years of working with them (pre-this season) TM hadn't spotted the likes of Evans and Williams were duffers then we really shouldn't be employing him. Spunking the best part of £7 million plus and having no visible signs of improvement in the squad is also a pretty damning indictment of TM too. 

Also I'd respectfully argue that Lenihen, Raya, Nayambe, Rothwell, Dack, Graham, Reid are all more than adequate at this level, and if utilized properly there's a number of talents who could effectively do a role in a championship team/squad (Bennett and Bell for two). But the system, other personnel selected and glaring holes in the squad negates a lot of the decent talent available. 

All in all I struggle to see the incredible job TM is doing. We agree he has some absolute dross in the team - but that is his fault, he's had 2 years to prepare this season's team to an adequate level. But also he has got some good and solid players who can do a job. The problem is TM isn't savvy enough to utilize the good stuff at his disposal or get rid of the dross. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 1

Promotion for Rovers from L1 is absolutely what is keeping him afloat.

However, harsh but factual, is that he also has a relegation at Rovers on his CV, which he also gets a free pass for because “that was Coyle’s fault”.

But the Coyle appointment was welcomed by folk because “he got that lot promoted on buttons”.

At the end of the day, some fans are simply blinded by the blues-and-white halves and want to be seen as a proper, thick-and-thin, RTID supporter.

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Is part of a managers job not to identify which players in the squad are good enough for the step up and to spend his money on players to improve the team? Neither of which Mowbray has done.

• Backroom

I think go, I don’t want to start hating him, if he goes now like Bowyer he’ll leave with good faith with the fans and be fondly remembered after taking us as far as he could.

His comments are really starting to grate now and there’s a real lack of honesty coming through 

• Like 1

I agree he was at the end of the road a while before that but after he'd raised them so much money you'd be forgiven thinking he was entitled to reinvest a bit of it and rebuild after the austerity forced on him.

I'm sure if he'd gone on a run like this he'd have been facing the huge question marks.

This fella can't live off that promotion forever he's fast approaching the point where he has to prove himself at this level all over again seeing as his best spell for us was in league 1 and before that he was in league 2 with Coventry. If they aren't a bit worried in the corridors of power at Rovers they've learnt absolutely nothing.

• Like 1