BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City v Rovers. Wed 9th Dec. 7.45pm

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Completely agreed on the player reviews. At one point earlier in the season I was wondering if Travis would get straight back in but only Rothwell has shown any form of consistency in the middle of the park this season. Johnson is either an 8/9 or a 5/6 and Holtby just hasn’t been effective of late at all. Both look like they need a breather - I’d be tempted to bring in Buckley for one of them with home games coming up as he could be the man to carve the opposition open at home - something we’ve struggled with this season.

Buckley couldn't carve a joint of roast beef. Totally overrated. Lightweight, not quick and easily knocked off the ball. Needs to go out on loan and beef up somewhat

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We aren't doing badly though,we are only 5 points off 6th place.Im

Not being funny but only a few weeks ago on here we had people saying we could be in relegation trouble, and that we have absolutely no chance of finishing top 6, Luton have more of a chance than us etc.

The result was disappointing last night but it was on the back of a 7 game unbeaten run, we have two of our better players in Dack and Travis to come back, I know other teams have players out aswell but Dack could be an absolutely massive boost to this side.He is ruthless when he gets a chance,and one thing nobody can argue with is this team creates plenty of chances.

I know we didn't score last night but normally scoring goals isn't a problem. It's keeping them out at the other end.

1 minute ago, dallydally said:

Buckley couldn't carve a joint of roast beef. Totally overrated. Lightweight, not quick and easily knocked off the ball. Needs to go out on loan and beef up somewhat

Must have missed Buckley creating chances against QPR.

Buckley has the technique to create chances, I would have him on set pieces when crossing it into the box.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not simple anymore. We have players like Johnson, Ayala and Lenihan who I would describe as having those characteristics. Travis to come back in too.

The reason we lost last night was Armstrongs complete over indulgence. I hope he put his hand up after the game or the rest of the team had a chat with him. It's not good enough. I have never seen anything like it. You wouldn't see Ronaldo do it. 

It was a tight away game, we narrowly lost. Not a time for over reaction. 

Its incredibly unfair to blame Armstrong solely for the defeat. He played poorly but he is the top scorer in the league, he has more credit in the bank considering how prolific he has been this season and in 2020.

Its not a reaction to a solitary loss, its the reaction to a loss that is very much a further example of 2 massive problems that we have, we cannot seem to get results v the better teams, and we can never seem to break through that glass ceiling and get into the top 6.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sky shown some attacking stats which shown Rovers rank 1st in total goals in Championship, 2nd in total shots, 1st in shots on target, 2nd in touches in opposition box per game and 2nd in possession won in final 3rd. 

For Me, Nyambe and Ayala should have defended that cross much better than we did. But attacking wise we were the better side. Another day, Arnstrong scores a hat trick and we win 3 or 4 nil..

Its not a particularly good sign that we have scored the most goals yet are only 10th. Not the hallmarks of an efficient side.

3 or 4 nil? I dont really remember any chances where I was shocked that we didnt score, most of our chances were speculative at best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dallydally said:

The two I mentioned need a break. I don’t rate Buckley as much as some on here but he has got some creativity about him and can at least play a forward pass. Perhaps give Davenport a start too.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know we didn't score last night but normally scoring goals isn't a problem. It's keeping them out at the other end.

Its true we need to tighten up.Im not suggesting top 6 is a given but feel we have shown enough so far to be confident we will be in contention.

In my opinion,the three relegated sides will be in the top 6 and then any 3 from ourselves, Swansea, Cardiff, Brentford and Bristol City and possibly Middlesbrough.

I think Reading will fall away 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Its incredibly unfair to blame Armstrong solely for the defeat. He played poorly but he is the top scorer in the league, he has more credit in the bank considering how prolific he has been this season and in 2020.

Its not a reaction to a solitary loss, its the reaction to a loss that is very much a further example of 2 massive problems that we have, we cannot seem to get results v the better teams, and we can never seem to break through that glass ceiling and get into the top 6.

Its not a particularly good sign that we have scored the most goals yet are only 10th. Not the hallmarks of an efficient side.

3 or 4 nil? I dont really remember any chances where I was shocked that we didnt score, most of our chances were speculative at best.

He isn't immune to criticism. This team are creating bag loads of chances for him. Last night was a disgrace. Some of the shots he took on you wouldn't see the best players in the world doing it once or twice a game, let alone how many times he did. His teammates are fuming I would say. Put himself before the team BIG STYLE, so I would certainly level blame at him. His goals coring record prior to that, or as you call it "credit in the bank" is irrelevant. He was more to blame for us not scoring last night than anyone else. First goal and we win that game and break through your "glass ceiling".

We used to beat the top teams and perform badly against teams we should beat.  That to me was raising our game for certain games, but not for others. Now we seem capable of dispatching teams lower down the league and there are fine margins between all the teams in contention for the play-offs. We came out the wrong side last night, but plenty to be positive about. 

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Its true we need to tighten up.Im not suggesting top 6 is a given but feel we have shown enough so far to be confident we will be in contention.

In my opinion,the three relegated sides will be in the top 6 and then any 3 from ourselves, Swansea, Cardiff, Brentford and Bristol City and possibly Middlesbrough.

Stoke will be in and around the top 6.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The story of Mowbray's Rovers. A defence that leaks like a sieve. Halfway improve that will add enough points to have the team knocking on the playoff door. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The story of Mowbray's Rovers. A defence that leaks like a sieve. Halfway improve that will add enough points to have the team knocking on the playoff door. 

We are better defensively though? Apart from Bournmouth and Watford we have generally lost by tight/fine margins. I wouldn't say we are leaking like a sieve 

We have conceded 4 more goals than the top 2. Both Reading and Stoke who are ahead of us have conceded more goals. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He isn't immune to criticism. This team are creating bag loads of chances for him. Last night was a disgrace. Some of the shots he took on you wouldn't see the best players in the world doing it once or twice a game, let alone how many times he did. His teammates are fuming I would say. Put himself before the team BIG STYLE, so I would certainly level blame at him. His goals coring record prior to that, or as you call it "credit in the bank" is irrelevant. He was more to blame for us not scoring last night than anyone else. First goal and we win that game and break through your "glass ceiling".

We used to beat the top teams and perform badly against teams we should beat.  That to me was raising our game for certain games, but not for others. Now we seem capable of dispatching teams lower down the league and there are fine margins between all the teams in contention for the play-offs. We came out the wrong side last night, but plenty to be positive about. 

Of course, he played crap last night and I agree with that. He wasnt solely to blame for defeat but he fell well, well below the brilliant standards he has set. He is on 14 goals, our second highest is 3 so he is critical to our chances.

The problem with the glass ceiling is that we NEVER break through it, ever. We always fall short, fine margins are mentioned but sadly I cannot see any logic in expecting us suddenly to fall on the right side of those fine margins. It is always ifs and buts, reasons and excuses, and forlorn hopes that we are on the cusp of a run long enough to break into the top 6.

The performing v big teams and not v smaller ones was a bit of a myth. For the last 2 seasons up we rarely beat the big teams, we did have a couple of noticeable and embarrassing losses v relegation fodder but we tended to pick up much of our points v mid table/lower mid table teams.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course, he played crap last night and I agree with that. He wasnt solely to blame for defeat but he fell well, well below the brilliant standards he has set. He is on 14 goals, our second highest is 3 so he is critical to our chances.

The problem with the glass ceiling is that we NEVER break through it, ever. We always fall short, fine margins are mentioned but sadly I cannot see any logic in expecting us suddenly to fall on the right side of those fine margins. It is always ifs and buts, reasons and excuses, and forlorn hopes that we are on the cusp of a run long enough to break into the top 6.

The performing v big teams and not v smaller ones was a bit of a myth. For the last 2 seasons up we rarely beat the big teams, we did have a couple of noticeable and embarrassing losses v relegation fodder but we tended to pick up much of our points v mid table/lower mid table teams.

The glass ceiling is an imaginary construct that has been labelled on here. We were unlucky last night. I wouldn't say we looked like the players were aware of a glass ceiling. Holtby was poor and Rothwell only showed flashes. Douglas wasteful from set pieces. Armstrong, we have discussed. 

I believe we will come good this season and have a real rattle at staying in the play off places 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The glass ceiling is an imaginary construct that has been labelled on here. We were unlucky last night. I wouldn't say we looked like the players were aware of a glass ceiling. Holtby was poor and Rothwell only showed flashes. Douglas wasteful from set pieces. Armstrong, we have discussed. 

I believe we will come good this season and have a real rattle at staying in the play off places 

I dont necessarily think it is a psychological barrier, I am just not sure that between the manager and the players that we have enough to ever become genuine contenders for the play offs unless something changes. Its not imaginary, its just a way of basically saying that we never take that step and get into the top 6, our highest peak is "one result away."

Holtby and Rothwell perhaps sum us up more than anyone. On their day a match for most midfielders in the division, but their day is not nearly often enough.

We often seem competitive against bigger teams yet always end up on the wrong side of the result. A point comes when luck isnt the deciding factor for that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Everyone thought he was mis-speaking, but maybe he was just a low-key comedy genius. Always got a laugh out of me, anyway. 

Trying to open the door in China which never had a chance of being opened was slapstick genius.

It was a bit like Armstrong's 247th punt into Row Z from outside the area last night when five teammates had bust a lung to get forward...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The Potters will be there or thereabouts too.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Your first sentence makes a lot of sense as it certainly wasn't solely his fault but the second is irrelevant. We're talking about his performance against Bristol City, not previously. He has "Credit in the bank" of course...but what's that got to do with discussing his performance in this one game?

Armstrong being greedy is fine, he's our main striking outlet. But today he just wasted possession time and again with next to no chance of scoring, while his teammates had sprinted up to support the attack.

Edited by TheRoversReturn
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Your first sentence makes a lot of sense as it certainly wasn't solely his fault but the second is irrelevant. We're talking about his performance against Bristol City, not previously. He has "Credit in the bank" of course...but what's that got to do with discussing his performance in this one game?

Armstrong being greedy is fine, he's our main striking outlet. But today he just wasted possession time and again with next to no chance of scoring, while his teammates had sprinted up to support the attack.

I totally agreed that he was incredibly poor, no doubting that.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont necessarily think it is a psychological barrier, I am just not sure that between the manager and the players that we have enough to ever become genuine contenders for the play offs unless something changes. Its not imaginary, its just a way of basically saying that we never take that step and get into the top 6, our highest peak is "one result away."

Holtby and Rothwell perhaps sum us up more than anyone. On their day a match for most midfielders in the division, but their day is not nearly often enough.

We often seem competitive against bigger teams yet always end up on the wrong side of the result. A point comes when luck isnt the deciding factor for that.

Some fair points, but Armstrong scores or passes one of his many chances last night and we are in the play off places