BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which Rovers manager would you have most liked to have played for?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember him playing for Arsenal against Rovers at Ewood. Fred Pickering took a shot at goal from about 18 yards out,  but it was one of those shots were you kick the ground as well. It was bobbling along at no great speed but Jim went down on one knee to gather it. It somehow went right between his legs and came to a holt about a foot over the goal line. I was right behind the goals at the Blackburn End, almost leaning on the boundary wall. I had a perfect view.

His lad used to post on here not too long ago.  I often wonder how he's getting on.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not a manager as such, but Jim Furnell was a great coach and managed the youth teams mid 80s/early 90s.  A lovely bloke and was always visible with his silver hair and big goalie height...he was responsible for a fair few careers in the game.

Started his career at Burnley but saw the light. Think he was part of that Plymouth side when their fans invaded Blackburn in the 70s

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

59 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Started his career at Burnley but saw the light. Think he was part of that Plymouth side when their fans invaded Blackburn in the 70s

Don't remember that far back, he scouted me playing for Blue Star Juniors around 87/88 and was my coach at 14,15 and 16. Top bloke.

• Backroom
On 25/12/2020 at 11:59, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Quite right, the first really memorable goal I remember at Ewood, Ian Lawther's 25 yard shot that never went more than 6 inches above the turf all the way into the far corner of the Burnley goal in 1962, gets a yard further out every few years. It really was a peach of a goal.

Reliably informed that it was Ian's own favourite goal. My dad shared digs with him as an apprentice, were acquaintances til Ian sadly passed.

TM for me. 

I'm not a particularly good footballer but (think!) I am a nice bloke and hard worker. The latter two qualities would see me get game time and the first doesn't seem to always be a criteria for selection at the moment. Would be my only chance to play for Rovers! 

Any other manager would turf me out to Barrow asap - well apart from Kean but I morally would be against playing for him. 

If we are assuming we are a good enough player to be a mainstay in the Rovers team of that era then it would be Hughes no doubt about it. Strikes me as a great balance of excellence and man.management. 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Reliably informed that it was Ian's own favourite goal. My dad shared digs with him as an apprentice, were acquaintances til Ian sadly passed.

Yes it was a cracker Mike. It was a bright February afternoon with the sun shining. We'd not done much in the first half and had gone behind to a Ray Pointer header after about half an hour. Second half we were playing towards the Blackburn End and it was pretty obvious that we'd had the hard word at half time. We not been playing long when Lawther latched onto a square ball about 22 yards out and hit a beautiful right footed drive that never went above a couple of inches above the turf. It fairly fizzed into the back of the net with Blacklaw in the Burnley goal hardly moving. I was stood on the Riverside right in line with where Lawther was when he struck the ball. It's almost 60 years ago now but I can still see that goal in my minds eye.

After that Rovers dominated the second half and Fred Pickering got the winner late on in the game. It's still one of my favourite games.  Incidentally we did the double over them later on in the season with a 1-0 win over there. They had been running away with the League but had an end of season slide and got pipped at the death by Ipswich Town, Those 4 points we took off them made all the difference

• Like 1