BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which Rovers manager would you have most liked to have played for?

Just for fun, but in your years of watching Rovers, which manager do you think you’d have most liked to have played for? Different people react differently to different manager styles, so I’d expect quite a wide range of answers. It’s not even necessarily who you think are the best managers, but which one would get the most out of you as a boss.

My top 3 would be:

1. Kenny Dalglish – Purely for the fact it’s ‘Kenny Dalglish’. I think you’d play for him just because of his reputation within the game and he was the reason we attracted so many good players when he came in. He also seems a likeable kind of guy.
  2. Mark Hughes – I just like his personality as a manager and you’d think he would be someone you’d want to play for. Seemingly quite a quiet manager, but has a certain aura around him.
  3. Sam Allardyce – I’m not particularly a fan of Allardyce, but I remember hearing a story from Stephen Warnock about how he took the players on a night out abroad and left them with his credit card and told them to enjoy themselves. Warnock said after that incident, players would run through walls for him. I imagine he’s the sort of boss that looks after his players.

Outside of Rovers, out of the current Premier League bosses - I think I'd most liked to have played for Klopp, Mourinho, Rodgers and Lampard.

Souness - My kind off attitude a warrior and winner no room for sentiment or poncing around. We'd either of got on or hated each other. No middle ground although it would only have worked if i was any good, i don't think he'd much time for moulding players. 

Allardyce - Probably would have got the best out of my limited abilities and found a niche for me !

I'd have loved the opportunity to play under Kean and Coyle though, no handier place to be to tell them what i thought. Probably would've ended up rich as well from a nice pay off.......... or in court on assault charges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Just for fun, but in your years of watching Rovers, which manager do you think you’d have most liked to have played for? Different people react differently to different manager styles, so I’d expect quite a wide range of answers. It’s not even necessarily who you think are the best managers, but which one would get the most out of you as a boss.

My top 3 would be:

1. Kenny Dalglish – Purely for the fact it’s ‘Kenny Dalglish’. I think you’d play for him just because of his reputation within the game and he was the reason we attracted so many good players when he came in. He also seems a likeable kind of guy.
  2. Mark Hughes – I just like his personality as a manager and you’d think he would be someone you’d want to play for. Seemingly quite a quiet manager, but has a certain aura around him.
  3. Sam Allardyce – I’m not particularly a fan of Allardyce, but I remember hearing a story from Stephen Warnock about how he took the players on a night out abroad and left them with his credit card and told them to enjoy themselves. Warnock said after that incident, players would run through walls for him. I imagine he’s the sort of boss that looks after his players.

Outside of Rovers, out of the current Premier League bosses - I think I'd most liked to have played for Klopp, Mourinho, Rodgers and Lampard.

I'd have the same top 3.

The team and style of play that evolved under Hughes would have been cracking to be part of. 

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

Aye ok, You really are having a laugh. He was good with a sponge and bucket of water mind!

Lest we forget, Darren.  Jack Marshall converted Fred Pickering from a run of the mill full back to centre forward who went on to play for England.   He converted Andy McEvoy from a rather uninspiring wing half to one of the most prolific poachers and goal scorers that there has been at our club.  There are others, I am sure that Tomphil, or Tyrone can fill you in.

Granted, even Jack would have had his work well and truly cut out with me.

Good idea for a thread this.

I'd plump for King Kenny because I like his approach to football in general. He's also one of the lads but also gaffer, in no uncertain terms, when it matters. He has that uncanny knack to be accepted and respected as both and switch from one to the other, dependant on situation and/or circumstance. A true and clever man manager.

As a teenager, I played for Rovers youth when Jim Smith was manager. It just illustrates how much times have changed: Back then, after 'O' Levels, the stark choice offered was apprentice professional terms on '£3.50' a week but you had to give up your further education ('A' Levels) in order to be offered those terms. I decided to stay on at school, rather than run the risk of being binned off after 2 years without further education, and parted company with Rovers (no regrets really). My memory of Smith was he had a nice daughter  (lived in the close at the top of Buncer Lane) but he was a neanderthal in terms of people management, despite his successes at a variety of clubs.

Finally a word for Howard Kendal: he transformed Rovers at the time and cut his management teeth at Ewood. He seemed to be a proper fella and initially of course, he was player manager, fulfilling both roles with absolute distinction. Imagine that these days?!

So for me, King Kenny first up, followed by Howard Kendal in close second.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Lest we forget, Darren.  Jack Marshall converted Fred Pickering from a run of the mill full back to centre forward who went on to play for England.   He converted Andy McEvoy from a rather uninspiring wing half to one of the most prolific poachers and goal scorers that there has been at our club.  There are others, I am sure that Tomphil, or Tyrone can fill you in.

Granted, even Jack would have had his work well and truly cut out with me.

My love affair started in 1966, so my first personal memory of Jack was running on with a bucket of water and a sponge to administer the 'miracle cure to all ailments'! I'm sure you're quite correct though but I'll be checking with my Dad!

13 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

My love affair started in 1966, so my first personal memory of Jack was running on with a bucket of water and a sponge to administer the 'miracle cure to all ailments'! I'm sure you're quite correct though but I'll be checking with my Dad!

I think Jack was still manager in 1966, not sure.  He then went on to manage Sheffield Wednesday? before he came back as our bucket and sponge man.  I know he took over from Dally Duncan in 1960.  During his time, the team and particularly the players I mentioned where known as Marshall’s misfits.  Maybe your dad can remember.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

I think Jack was still manager in 1966, not sure.  He then went on to manage Sheffield Wednesday? before he came back as our bucket and sponge man.  I know he took over from Dally Duncan in 1960.  During his time, the team and particularly the players I mentioned where known as Marshall’s misfits.  Maybe your dad can remember.

He absolutely does and was thrilled at being asked. He then went on to tell me of stories, told many times before I hasten to add, particularly about the cup semi-finals in '52 and '58!

In this shit Covid-19 situation that we're all having to endure, it made an 85 year old's day to reminisce about days long gone by, as opposed to the necessary conversations we have every other day, which are really about ensuring my parents are OK.

My dad wants to relay tomorrow, the story of my Grandad and the 1928 Cup Final, a story I already know extremely well but it's well worth another listen. I've still got the match day programme, ticket for the Royal Box (my Grandad scammed that invite through a reporter friend) and the following days Northern Telegraph, all of which I treasure as family heirlooms.

So you see 4000Holes, you and Jack Marshall have started something!

All this aside, let's all hope the current manager of the moment, ToMo, sets us up right tonight to come away from Ashton Gate with 3 points.

COYB!!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, renrag said:

He was underrated as a manager. He also signed Mike Ferguson gave John Byron, Keith Newton etc. their chance of first team football.

Under Jack's management we had the most entertaining team we've had in my lifetime. He has to take some credit for that. Moving Fred Pickering from left back to centre forward was a master stroke.

15 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

He absolutely does and was thrilled at being asked. He then went on to tell me of stories, told many times before I hasten to add, particularly about the cup semi-finals in '52 and '58!

In this shit Covid-19 situation that we're all having to endure, it made an 85 year old's day to reminisce about days long gone by as opposed to the necessary conversations every other day which are really about ensuring my parents are OK.

My dad wants to relay tomorrow, the story of my Grandad and the 1928 Cup Final, a story I already know extremely well but it's well worth another listen. I've still got the match day programme, ticket for the Royal Box (my Grandad scammed that invite through a reporter friend) and the following days Northern Telegraph, all of which I treasure as family heirlooms.

So you see 4000Holes, you and Jack Marshall have started something!

All this aside, let's all hope the current manager of the moment, ToMo, sets us up right tonight to come away from Ashton Gate with 3 points.

COYB!!

Give your dad my very best regards, he sounds like a very interesting chap.  Hope he is keeping well through all this mess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

Give your dad my very best regards, he sounds like a very interesting chap.  Hope he is keeping well through all this mess

Thanks pal, it's what's important: WE Are The Rovers when all said and done, we'll still be here when Waggots and co. are long gone, it's in our blood.

Both Dad and my mother are both doing fine thanks and it is a mess, as you say. The thing that pisses them both off more than anything, is looking out of the lounge window watching others totally disregarding the rules and regulations, whilst they are virtual prisoners in their own home. That's another story but rest assured they will both be tuned in to Radio Lancs tonight cheering on the boys in Blue and White as they've always religiously done.

As my Dad always says: "Come On You Blues, roll along Blackburn Rovers roll along, get the ball in the net where it belongs....."

Come on Rovers!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Thanks pal, it's what's important: WE Are The Rovers when all said and done, we'll still be here when Waggots and co. are long gone, it's in our blood.

Both Dad and my mother are both doing fine thanks and it is a mess, as you say. The thing that pisses them both off more than anything, is looking out of the lounge window watching others totally disregarding the rules and regulations, whilst they are virtual prisoners in their own home. That's another story but rest assured they will both be tuned in to Radio Lancs tonight cheering on the boys in Blue and White as they've always religiously done.

As my Dad always says: "Come On You Blues, roll along Blackburn Rovers roll along, get the ball in the net where it belongs....."

Come on Rovers!

Let’s hope they can give your dad and me for that matter a cheer when they have sorted Bristol city out later.  From where I live, Bristol is the easiest place to get to, so a little bit disappointed that I can’t go.  However it’s on sky.

I would have given you a thumbs up on your comments but can’t work out how to do it on the new site.  Minor detail however.

keep safe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Let’s hope they can give your dad and me for that matter a cheer when they have sorted Bristol city out later.  From where I live, Bristol is the easiest place to get to, so a little bit disappointed that I can’t go.  However it’s on sky.

I would have given you a thumbs up on your comments but can’t work out how to do it on the new site.  Minor detail however.

keep safe.

You too, thanks, enjoyed the 'chat'.

Move your cursor to hover to the right of the thumbs up icon, bottom right hand corner and up pops the thumbs up/like button.

Let's get into The Robins from the off, aggressive, on the front foot from the first minute and maintain it.

Do so, the 3 points will be ours, of that I've no doubt whatsoever.

COYB!!

• Like 1

id`e have loved to play under souness,basically it was go out and play but make sure you put 100% in or there will be trouble,we might have clashed in away trips  if id`e beaten him at darts or pool in the hotel,he would most likely destroy the board or smash a pool cue,such was his famous competetiveness😉

think id`e have to go for clough outside of rovers,despite his strange behaviour,it was obvious his players would run through a minefield for him and he kept the ball on the ground

quite fancy being mourinho`s side as well,i bet he could put a player in his place with 2 or 3 words!!

• Like 1

Moggasaurus. Paid a decent wage, no pressure to do well, bit of lemon drizzle cake thrown in for good measure.

But if I’m taking my football career seriously under rovers kenny, Hughes, fat Sam.

Outside of rovers Brian Clough. 

Edited by matt83