Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers, Wed 17th Feb

8 minutes ago, neophox said:

Kaminski

Nyambe, Lenihan, Branthwaite, Douglas

Travis, Trybull/Johnson

Eliott, Dack, Brereton

Armstrong

Dolan to come on for the last 30 mins to terror the defences...

Nyambe and Douglas supporting the two central midfelders. Dack in a free role behind Armstrong. Brereton and Eliott bombing around too.

This is how you play to win football matches. Can you see this Mowbray?

Actually if you look at the statistics Barnsley are the best pressing side in Europe. Every team would go to Barnsley and be beat. Therefore, the only solution is to play Gallagher, 5 defenders and two holding midfielders. Don't you look at the stats?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

My point was that one of your initial arguments about playing Bennett at right wing back was that he played there for Bristol City. Not only did that not provide any evidence as to whether that was an experiment that was successful, it was even longer ago!

I dont see why we are changing formation totally (with little time to train on it) solely to try and fail to cancel out the mighty Barnsley. But right back, right wing back, take your pick, Nyambe is a lot better than Bennett.

You are right that Branthwaite and Harwood Bellis may well be inconsistent. Hence the criticism that we have 2 untested kids on loan deals in the first place!

Yes he did because he is a talented player, but not before we conceded again with Barnsley breaking through our non existent midfield to score and put the game to bed.

Hopefully Gallagher wont be anywhere near the team on Saturday but I suspect he is due a spell either in goal or at left wing back.

Im not sure that pressure has anything to do with it. He has always had a tendency to over think and over compensate. I recall back in League 1, bigging up Burys left back, and playing Bell in front of Williams at home to Oldham to nullify their right back. At that time however, we was winning games most weeks and the style was consistent, so those temptations remained at bay.

What has happened is that this season, seemingly he has tried to take us onto the next level with a style of football which has not got the results he felt it would. That has just led to confusion, inconsistency and further frustration, false 9s, box midfielders, players out of position etc.

With Dack, I dont necessarily subscribe to the idea that he needs a target man to play off in order to thrive. There has to be a way of playing Armstrong and Dack in the same side centrally and effectively. That wont happen though with Mowbrays inconsistent selections, putting him in and out, constantly changing formations, players out of position out wide etc.

Im not even convinced that it will get toxic any time soon, all of the criticism due to the way the world is comes on here and social media, a world Mowbray is totally shielded from. With no sign of fans attending soon, which even then would at most lead to moans and groans, he is well protected.

I meant that he's not under pressure, so therefore he can do these bizzare things without worrying that he will come under any scrutiny. It's more about style for Mowbray, than being practical and getting results. 

24 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Actually if you look at the statistics Barnsley are the best pressing side in Europe. Every team would go to Barnsley and be beat. Therefore, the only solution is to play Gallagher, 5 defenders and two holding midfielders. Don't you look at the stats?

Mowbray does and you see how it goes...

Kaminsky

Nyambie   Lenihen   Branthwaite  Douglas

Elliot        Evans       Travis       Armstrong

Dack

Gallagher

Don't tell me that wasn't good enough to go to Barnsley and get a result, why keep faffing about with it just keep it simple.

• Silas unpinned this topic