BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Glad to see we're doing a good bit of business, and the sticker book announcement leads me to hope that we've done the vast majority of business and we're just putting the finishing touches, moving them etc.

JPvH would be massive but I don't see it, the guy was far too good for this league last year and Brighton would be mental to let him go.

14 minutes ago, Neal said:

I just want JPVH + Helik and our defence is absolutely sorted. Would be feeling very confident with that and a fit Ayala/Wharton/Cater. Plenty of nous, height and aggression, would be horrible to play against. 

There’s a good Celtic forum called Kerrydale Street. Sensible (and quite witty) posters, no juvenile swearing, baiting etc. Whilst they thought we were a tad physical, they also noted the size of our team and, yes, we do have some big lads who aren’t afraid to get stuck in.

• Like 2

On JPVH, I've been told he would love to come here permanently, however he only has 12 months left on his deal at Brighton and as things stand they want a massive fee for him which of course is their prerogative.

As it is our prerogative to ask for a massive fee for BB. Whether or not they'll get it of course remains to be seen so whilst I'd say it's unlikely to happen at the moment it might not be completely out of the question some way down the line.

Suppose it depends on whether or not he breaks into their first team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Wow, Szmodics is tiny, 5 ft 6. Doesn't bother me personally because of where he plays, but I know some on here like to talk about how we need height throughout the team.

I don’t think Callum styles is much taller either.

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

Also Sharpe has mentioned today that there’s a decent chance he gets loaned out later in the window - however unsure if Blackburn come into that 

Burnley will go in for him....mark  my words

6 minutes ago, levi said:

Burnley will go in for him....mark  my words

Burnley have agreed a £2.5 million fee for a centre half from Metz today.They have already signed Belli's(who they will have given assurances over playing time) and have brought in another player from city too on a permanent who can play RB or Centre half 

• Like 1

I am delighted by the signing of Callum Brittain. He is quality player and for me an upgrade on Nyambe. He also impressed every game I've seen especially at Ewood Park last season. Also to know from our director of Football Gregg Broughton that we have been tracking him for over 12 months.  Very good interview on Rovers TV from him. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Glad to see that Brown will be loaned out. @chaddyrovers I guess you strongly disagree with that decision seeing how consistent you have been insisting that he remains in the squad?

Nothing confirm that James Brown will be loan out. I would keep him and loan JRC out instead myself but lets see in the future. 

• Like 3

Optimism seems to be reaching dangerous levels on the back of just one signing today.

Probably safest to approach it from the view that we're now "only" two or three key first teamers and five loanees down from last season and chalk them off one by one as further bodies arrive.

Once they've all or nearly all been chalked off then we can start to feel optimistic imo.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Burnley have agreed a £2.5 million fee for a centre half from Metz today.They have already signed Belli's(who they will have given assurances over playing time) and have brought in another player from city too on a permanent who can play RB or Centre half 

Van Hecke is in a different class to Bellis.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I don’t think Callum styles is much taller either.

No, same height according to Wiki. What excites me a bit about Styles is he has recently started playing for Hungary, seems to be about the same time Hungary starting playing well above themselves against top sides recently...

Szmodics outscored him last season though, but I think Styles plays a bit deeper usually. Styles 4 years younger too. Not sure it's an either/or thing though, or whether we're even in for Styles. I suspect we are in for him or another Barnsley player though, due to the compliments about Barnsley after signing Brittain. Feels a bit like we are keeping them sweet. And they have some decent players at reduced prices.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

One big problem addressed, in my opinion at least 5 more needed before we can consider ourselves as strong or stronger than last season.

We will see whether he is an upgrade on Nyambe in time to come. I am pleased we have got some business done at last, pleased there is at least some willingness to invest and pleased that we are actually addressing things with proper contracts.

I am baffled. Baffled that we are willing and able to pay a reported 7 figure transfer fee on this lad and hand him a 4 year deal yet not willing or able to retain Lenihan or Nyambe, the cost of both peanuts in comparison to this outlay.

My interpretation is that a combination of Covid, Venkys going silent for a couple of years and a vacuum at the top of the club with Mowbray's power gone meant nobody was in a position to sort those contracts out, and by the time we were it was just too late - those players had had interest from elsewhere, bridges were burned and heads were turned.

I am hoping that things are different now, but this is only a small start. Much more is needed and quite quickly, although the most pressing area has been dealt with.

I think the most impressive element of the deal is the professionalism of it. To have an actual Director of Football talking about the background to the deal, the logic behind it and even thanking Barnsley for their part in it just suggests to me a lot more of a professional structure in place. Don't need to hear from JDT on this - Broughton can handle it

You surprised we spent/committed to over 1 million pounds to buy him and happy to accept you were wrong we wouldn't spend anymore? 

8 minutes ago, booth said:

Van Hecke is in a different class to Bellis.

He is but Kompany and Burnley would have given assurances to City over Bellis already and along with the fact they have a bid in for another centre half doesn't suggest they are targeting Van Hecke 

• Like 1

Sure I read we had a bid accepted for Styles in January for the same fee that we offered for Dembele. Since then he's performed well against England and that will obviously inflate his price. Shame we couldn't have got that one done back then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

He is but Kompany and Burnley would have given assurances to City over Bellis already and along with the fact they have a bid in for another centre half doesn't suggest they are targeting Van Hecke 

Oh yeah I wasn't disputing it, I'm just surprised Kompany would want Bellis over Van Hecke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Decent fee for Brittain, strange considering Venky's had apparently decided to stop putting money into the club 🤔

An initial 6 figure fee according to Rich Sharpe. In isolation and factoring in the Armstrong fee and almost certain Brereton fee, it's probably not enough to start baiting people to praise the owners.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am delighted by the signing of Callum Brittain. He is quality player and for me an upgrade on Nyambe. He also impressed every game I've seen especially at Ewood Park last season. Also to know from our director of Football Gregg Broughton that we have been tracking him for over 12 months.  Very good interview on Rovers TV from him. 

Nothing confirm that James Brown will be loan out. I would keep him and loan JRC out instead myself but lets see in the future. 

True, although says in the LT today that he will go accompanied with quotes from the manager. I presume should it go through, you will stay consistent with your disagreement of the decision.

I personally think both could do with a loan if we could ideally sign someone to cover Brittain, perhaps a freebie.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Optimism seems to be reaching dangerous levels on the back of just one signing today.

Probably safest to approach it from the view that we're now "only" two or three key first teamers and five loanees down from last season and chalk them off one by one as further bodies arrive.

Once they've all or nearly all been chalked off then we can start to feel optimistic imo.

Honestly though, I wouldn't say Johnson needed replacing. Nor Poveda. Looking a bit like Markanday essentially replaces Khadra since he wasn't available last season and looks like he has similar attributes in pre-season, although that's not for sure and we need to see some goals from him. Wouldn't say Giles needs replacing either, we didn't use him remotely right and he was probably a hindrance as a result. We do have some young players coming through who can probably account for a slight shortfall in numbers by being squad or fringe players. So I wouldn't say all of that really needs replacing.

It's still utterly essential to replace: Lenihan and JPVH (possibly just one if playing with 2 CBs but if 3 is the plan definitely both), Rothwell.

Davenport sort of needs replacing, as he would play sometimes and was, along with Johnson who was shite, our backup spoiler, so between the two of them we probably need a player for that role. But Garrett may potentially fill it. A gamble though as he's totally untested at this level. Edun can play backup there too of course, but only when Pickering is fit.

Between both Khadra and Poveda going, and Markanday only potentially replacing one, another attacker might not exactly hurt, even though if we'd just signed him now we'd be saying he replaced Khadra and we probably don't need to replace Poveda.

So 4/5 more players should about cover the (new) shortfalls that matter, and as long as we bring in good players there I'm not too bothered by youth players being tried in other areas when numbers are short, until January, as it's a transitional season anyway. They're mostly filling in for players who weren't good enough anyway. We'll never know if they're good enough themselves if they don't play.

However I do think maybe add one more to that due to how we will seemingly play, with Buckley more withdrawn, a CAM and Dack having injury trouble again. Probably need a CAM even though we haven't lost one, hence the Szmodics bids. And BBD will likely leave and need replacing, obviously. Wouldn't mind a more reliable backup GK either, those can be hard to find at the right money though.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

True, although says in the LT today that he will go accompanied with quotes from the manager. I presume should it go through, you will stay consistent with your disagreement of the decision.

I personally think both could do with a loan if we could ideally sign someone to cover Brittain, perhaps a freebie

Let's wait and see what happens. 

I have said what I would do and I can't be anymore clear than that. 

Why keep signing players when we have got players already in the squad who can fill that role. We don't need to keep signing squad fillers when we got good young talent players who can fill these roles and improve and develop here. We need another 4 or 5 signings now and that's is all we need.  

• Like 1