BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

He will be exposed less not more, if it's wingbacks in a back 5, which it likely would be as wingbacks in a 4 is too cavalier. That's the whole point of the 3 CBs, to compensate for the fact the wingbacks are fully expected to spend more time further up the pitch. The WBs defensive attributes become less important and we would mostly judge him on his attacking output, whereas a fullback I'll mostly judge on their defensive contributions. Both still matter for both roles, but the balance shifts.

For me he will be exposed more because he hasn't got the attributes to get up and down the pitch. He'll leave acres in behind him and the opposition will just nail it into the space pulling the back 3 sideways.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Who are the two options in his position?

Hedges should be a backup - I've yet to see any end product from him (although I do like the general look of him). Who's the other one, Dolan? He's better than both, regardless. 

Markanday too.

Don't get me wrong, Bowler would be a very exciting addition, but I think across the front 4 that we are possibly least in need of a left footer for the right side.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where are the bids then for Ben Brereton? No reported about any bids from clubs in the last few days and that the fact he is playing a full part in pre season aswell. 

I did think that Ben Brereton Diaz and Rovers could agree a new long term contract especially if we get no bids for him. If you disagree fine but that my opinion like or don't

That's fine if you don't it happening. 

No concerns from me. JDT might want to play Markanday or Hedges as a ten so opening a space on the right side or he might want to play him on the left. 

I heard similar and she wanted to move back south 

Not sure this is correct at all

Very good point. It only take a minute for a bid to be made and accept. 

I think you are spot on there. I guess that Bournemouth don't want to over spend but be sensible financially. Didn't realised they only signed 2 players and both free transfers. 

Well we signed Brittain for around 1 million pounds. You happy with that signing and cost? 

This isn't just employee from Rovers but the Head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson saying this. 

We are basing it on gossip but whether any bids have been put in or not, presumably with a huge price tag on his head, I can say with almost certainty that a 23 year old Chilean international forward coming off the back of scoring over 20 goals in the Championship would have plenty of interest if he was a free agent, and he would be in a really good personal situation. It would be a totally different proposition to convincing a side to spend big money on him.

Bournemouth's policy of spending loads in the Championship then refusing to spend at all when they get into the Premier League is not sensible, it's very strange.

I can't imagine anyone coming in with an acceptable bid for Brereton, I think he'll still be here in January. If he has a decent first half of the season, that's when Prem teams in the lower reaches will take the plunge.

I'd say we would probably then hold more of the aces, even though he'd be closer to the end of his contract, as teams in fear of relegation have to gamble. 

On signings, I'd hope for another 2 quality buys in the Styles mould. The Morton loan looks like a good move, if we can secure a player who's played 9 times for Liverpool, it has to be done. 

Don't think we'd be far off there, with maybe another couple of clever loans if Broughton can pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat. 

We’re probably making enquires left and right, that’s why the Cantwell link came up and went away again. Same thing for Bowler? Final week will be busy. By the looks of things we’re one of the few clubs without parachute payments able to spend. Could put us in a favourable position once the big dogs have finished eating. 

Edited by Torgeir

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

The Bowler link came from that lad with no idea from Lancs Live, I think he's just thrown a speculative name in the mix I'm afraid.

Nope, it was being spoken about on here before then. Originated from the Blackpool side.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Nope, it was being spoken about on here before then. Originated from the Blackpool side.

Did it?  I apologise then I must have missed it.  Guess he just recycled something he read on here then and claimed an 'exclusive'

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

So either Honest Swag was pulling @glen9mullan's pisser about the Styles links, or Sharpe's contacts in Barnsley and Blackburn are imposters!

Glen heard it before going to the meeting with Swag from a separate source, but brought it up in the meeting with him. Apparently appeared a bit taken back by someone knowing about it. 

5 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

Glen heard it before going to the meeting with Swag from a separate source, but brought it up in the meeting with him. Apparently appeared a bit taken back by someone knowing about it. 

Glen stated SW confirmed in that meeting that Rovers were in for Styles and that SW was excited about how far Styles could go. 

Not concerned about Rich downplaying an offer for Styles. The locals seem to know absolutely nothing until it is already reported elsewhere first - the Brittain confirmation seemed to come from Barnsley's side at first If I recall, and the Tyler Morton deal came from The Times. The Telegraph seem to be essentially the newspaper equivalent of the official Rovers website in terms of news - basically they won't know anything until its practically a done deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I dont actually care what Sharpe thinks he knows or doesn't know tbh.

Throwing "journo's a bone" is a direct quote from me from the same meeting which I said is not a bad thing in terms of "the silence has been deafening", and no news can create growing frustrations

It was very clear the club prefer not to throw any bones to any journo's and are working extremely hard within to ensure that remains the case.

We are 100% tracking him, have 100% not had a bid accepted yet, have 100% made contact, and have 100% not moved on.

Do I think he will be a rovers player before the window shuts? 

I think Styles wont be a Barnsley player and a transfer to rovers will be entirely down to choice from the player in terms of who else also comes in for him.

The fee and wages will not be an issue to Rovers.

My info which is agent related was very much down to add on's, sell on clauses etc. Barnsley's valuation of the player is widely known amongst interested clubs including Rovers.

I didn't attend a meeting at Rovers to discuss players, it just happened to come out as it was linked to the silence. I have zero reason to tell any lies, or indeed mention who confirmed it at Rovers, i think they call it "libel defamation" nowadays to write something about someone which is not true online when quoting "they said"

I'm not questioning the veracity of what you say, just so we're clear. It just reaffirms my view that Sharpe's contacts leave a lot to be desired this summer. I didn't want to make that point explicit in case it upset the Rich Sharpe Fan Club again.🤭

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm not questioning the veracity of what you say, just so we're clear. It just reaffirms my view that Sharpe's contacts leave a lot to be desired this summer. I didn't want to make that point explicit in case it upset the Rich Sharpe Fan Club again.🤭

Never met him, but comes across as a nice cookie, that being said transfer wise, I cant recall any scoop if he has ever had bar confirming a deal/bid once its widely known and been reported elsewhere.

Pains me to say it, but Nixon and the Nationals are who gets it out these days, as their network just far greater.

Also Broughton won't speak to any journo's at present, so imagine the default statement from Rovers is "not our department, speak to Greg"

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 3