BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I've seen him a few times. he doesn't lack pace at all. And saying he lacks 'technical ability' is so vague as to be meaningless. 

To put it in layman's terms....he isn't comfortable on the  ball enough to play in a 3 man defence.  Just an opinion mate...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

To put it in layman's terms....he isn't comfortable on the  ball enough to play in a 3 man defence.  Just an opinion mate...

Sometimes you just have to make it simple for those who are a bit slow on the uptake

As for Carter, I don't think he's good enough to be a first pick and we need someone better. Probably one reason why we're after the Liverpool lad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm looking forward to seeing whether this is right or not. In his first few appearances for Rovers he looked a bit clumsy and accident prone, but not a bad passer per se. This was when he was playing in a two but also when Mowbray wanted us to play like Barcelona, so far from ideal circumstances for a young centre back.

I admit that since then I'm going off what others have said rather than actually having seen him play, but Pompey fans don't seem to think that he's particularly limited on the ball. Time will tell I suppose. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sometimes you just have to make it simple for those who are a bit slow on the uptake

As for Carter, I don't think he's good enough to be a first pick and we need someone better. Probably one reason why we're after the Liverpool lad

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

But good enough to play at RB in league 1? 🤔

Seems so. Probably not good enough for Super Scouts under 15s though.

• Like 4

Gametime guarantees for loans is a fair concern. It'll depend on the player/club, but I don't see any recent evidence of us getting burned being forced to play a loan (it's of course possible there have been unreported financial penalties). Looking back:

18-19: Palmer was in-and-out of the lineup before being returned in January. Reed a deserving regular starter.

19-20: Adarabioyo a deserving regular starter. Walton less-so, but it wasn't as if Leutwiler was going to usurp him. Cunningham injured.

20-21: Elliott a deserving regular (although he was dropped to the bench a number of times when his form trailed off). Trybull was in-and-out of the lineup. Doubt there was any such clause for Douglas. Clearly weren't restricted in benching Branthewaite when he wasn't good enough. I recall a couple odd subs for THB, but he was also probably the best CB we could manage after Ayala and Wharton broke down.

21-22: JPvH a deserving starter. Poveda was left on the bench plenty before he got injured (even if we did get burned on the wage commitment there). Khadra also dealt with injuries, but was only a semi-regular starter and was left on the bench a few times. Clarkson sent back in January after barely playing. Zeefuik injured/a view to buy. Giles was dropped.

22-23: Early days for Morton, but he was only a late sub in his first game. Probably similar deal to Clarkson.

So, the 'automatic starter' loans we've had in the past have been Reed, Adarabaiyo, Walton, Elliott (to an extent), THB, and JPvH. I don't see much to complain about from that group.

Sepp van den Berg may be a different case, particularly if we're competing for his loan, but he's a proven Championship player and there will likely be plenty of opportunities at CB here, so I wouldn't get hung up on it.

• Like 2

Any premier league club looking to loan out their best prospects. Will see a great up and coming manager. Premier league standard training and youth facilities. A fairly good track record with previous players loaned, bar the odd exception. They know that if they are good enough and play well enough they will get game time.

Surely outside of the relegated clubs and clubs with parachute payment's, we should be near the front when it comes to picking and choosing loan deals. Especially since jdt seems keen to give youth players more of a chance.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Again, untrue, seen him play and he's more than comfortable on the ball. Hence, why he was also played at RB/RWB for Pompey and praised for his ability to go past people and get crosses in. 

Your opinion is a bit off, mate. 

31 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Absolutely. Have you asked someone what an acronym is yet? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

But good enough to play at RB in league 1? 🤔

Complete different positions in my opinion 

Although even mid table L1 RB isn't good enough for us.  We are looking up mate, time to get some quality in.

Edited by Sparks Rover

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Let's see then....if he ever actually makes the first team.👍 hope he proves me wrong...but he won't.

You appear to have said the same about Buckley in the past...but not so much now. It's probably fair to give these young lads a proper chance to sink or swim before writing them off completely. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Think that’s probably because Sarr and Dennis being linked away from them and they want someone in first. Handful like you say but not the greatest goal scorer. Jason Roberts comes to mind

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Exactly. The new Jason Roberts, but very handy at this level.

8 goals in 88 club appearances. He is not, it's fair to say, a goal machine.

2 hours ago, alex l said:

I fully agree he wasn't of the required standard but I was responding to the point that we'd good dealings with Liverpool and given plenty of game time to loanees

We have given plenty of game time to loan players, I don't just mean Liverpool players but they are able to recognise the likes of Tosin etc have benefitted from time here.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Let's see then....if he ever actually makes the first team.👍 hope he proves me wrong...but he won't.

The problem with dullards is they always beat you with experience. Keep going, matey. Fans are entitled to express their opinions, even if some don't like them

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Absolutely. Have you asked someone what an acronym is yet? 

No need. Have you? 

• Like 1