BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, frosty said:

Do you think? I'd be very surprised if he left now. There doesn't seem to be much concrete interest in him. I bet some are monitoring but would prefer to wait until January at a knock-off price or free next summer (which would be a nightmare for us...).

It's not a nightmare, new FFP kickin next summer, so this is the one time it makes no real difference to us if he goes for free or £20m. Venky's don't seem to care as long as they sell at their valuation.

Best to keep him and go for promotion this season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah I still can't see him staying, nor can we afford to keep him really. Teams will get more desperate as the window goes on. If he even stays until January, he can sign a pre-contractual agreement abroad.

The sensible thing to do is to try and sell him for as much as possible and reinvest a good proportion back on another potential goalscorer. We can't let him go for free, the ones that left this summer are a different kettle of fish in that there are questions over whether anyone would have come in offering money even if they were contracted, bar Rothwell who himself attracted bids of a few million amidst a promotion push by Bournemouth. Like Armstrong, Brereton is worth lots more than Lenihan/Rothwell/Nyambe and it is a different prospect altogether.

@Finlay McKenna who would? Obviously I am assuming a reasonable recovery, but easy to forget how good he is.

John Buckley

2 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

John Buckley

Buckley is class - and has the potential to be a good premier league player - but he's some way behind the level Dack was pre-injury.

It's a good thing that we can actually include others in the conversation though. Dack was so much better than anyone else that we had on our books a couple of years ago, it's easy to forget. 

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Phew! Glad someone put you right. We don't want a repeat of yesterday, it was a bit awkward watching that unfold. 

Who is this someone person? They haven't been in contact

Here another acronym for you

The OED. 

It's all in there

17 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Wheres this 30 game guarantee thing come from? A credible source or a dingle conjuring up excuses?

Van Hecke made 31 appearances last season, won player of the season and IMO walked away a better player for it. You could argue Elliott was the same I guess but he was already a class act. No silly guarantees or clauses should be required when we already have good recent dealings with Liverpool and also previous for giving loan players plenty of game time.

I’d also argue a guarantee hurts a players development.  Certainly when you loan a player out you’d like them to play and improve but you’d like them to compete as well. Guaranteed matches could very well lead to complacency. Trust the player is good enough make sure they play 30 games not that the contract requires it. 

26 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Key word being 'was', it's been nearly 3 years since then

I said in my post assuming he recovers to close to his original self. Different level to Buckley.

19 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Joel Matip is apparently an injury doubt for Liverpool, so you’d imagine they may end up delaying this move.

Was just about to share the same. Not good news for us.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Talented? Yes. But Dack was one of the best players in the league. Lets hope he still is.

If Dack stays fit and gets game time he will score goals and get assists.

You know it. I know it. Don't be bothered with those who doubt.

Class is class 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, phili said:

It's not a nightmare, new FFP kickin next summer, so this is the one time it makes no real difference to us if he goes for free or £20m. Venky's don't seem to care as long as they sell at their valuation.

Best to keep him and go for promotion this season.

Do FFP restrictions reset ? I thought they were always on a continual rolling basis and money coming for from player sales will always make a difference to the situation the following year.

4 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Do FFP restrictions reset ? I thought they were always on a continual rolling basis and money coming for from player sales will always make a difference to the situation the following year.

New FfP rules come into force next summer with 90% wage budget and owners allowed to inject £60m over 3 years into the club. So a complete reset starting from scratch next summer. We just need to get to 90% by then. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Joel Matip is apparently an injury doubt for Liverpool, so you’d imagine they may end up delaying this move.

I doubt that, he didn't get a look in during liverpools centre back crisis a couple of years ago. I don't think he's seen as genuine back up to the first team