BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Find the idea that we are lining up a loan forward a bit weird considering we have too many attackers already, unless it is getting ready for BBD to go. 

Come on, we saw from January onwards there's barely a goal in the side if anything happens to BBD.

I know the new joke chant from the stands is "He scores when he wants" about Lewis Travis but we can't rely on him coming up with a howitzer every week.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think your info is extremely reliable my friend. I believe we have offered slightly more than that for JPVH but it's still a long way shy of what Brighton wanted originally so who knows if that will get done this window. Especially if he now has family issues.

Also think we're still in for Styles, VDB from Liverpool and a young Europen based Central  striker as you say.

As none of them have so far landed, I'm starting to get rather worried. If we haven't been able to get the deals done by now, how is that magically going to change over the next twelve days?

Seems to me a drastic rethink is required either in terms of what's necessary to get the deals over the line or in terms of different personnel. They can't be the only quality players available at this stage.

I think all teams are waiting, teams we are buying from don't want to budge in their valuations especially with us possibly having another £10m to spend if BBD is sold. Last few days of the window everyone will start being more negotiable although with the World Cup and fixture log this year that may not happen.

At some point we'll have to move on and switch to signing other players but if we do and our targets suddenly move for £2m on deadline day we'll all say why didn't you wait?

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Phillips shouldn't be playing really, the mismanagement at the club has put us in this position where we feel that over promoting him will keep him....obviously to the detriment of the team.    People need to realise that against Hartlepool for a 17 he didn't put a foot wrong....some 20 year olds can't get a loan to Hartlepool......obviously AP isn't ready for the cut and thrust of the championship....

We are in a impossible position with him.

Yes, how many other 17 yr old centre backs are there playing in the football league.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Difference is, Gav is purely guessing because he hates the owners and it suits his agenda. My belief that there was a substantial budget available in January

We had little to no budget in summer 2020, January 21, summer 21 and you'd now have us believe that all of a sudden someone found millions in a suitcase at the back of The Riverside in January 22 and the manager refused to spend it? 

What complete and utter nonsense with respect.

If it doesn't make any sense its probably not true Simon.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav said:

We had no budget in summer 2020, January 21, summer 21 and you'd now have us believe that all of a sudden someone found millions in a suitcase at the back of The Riverside in January 22 and the manager refused to spend it? 

We did have budget in 2020 and 2021. The problem was we wasted it. The 2020 squad should have fought for a play off place at the minimum

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah would be a quality lineup

Kaminski

SVDB      JPVH     S Wharton

Brittain     Buckley   Travis    Morton    Styles

Hedges    Brereton

Subs :  Pears, Ayala, Pickering, A Wharton, Dack, Gallagher, Sammie

Squad :  Phillips, Markanday, Edun, Dolan, Vale, Garett, Carter, 

Would be a good team & bench with promising squad players.... Robust enough to play 4231, 433, 343, 352. 

If we could land SVDB, JPVH and Styles I think that would be an excellent window. 

Find the idea that we are lining up a loan forward a bit weird considering we have too many attackers already, unless it is getting ready for BBD to go. 

Class! Styles & Brittain either side would be lethal. We can dream. 

53 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah would be a quality lineup

Kaminski

SVDB      JPVH     S Wharton

Brittain     Buckley   Travis    Morton    Styles

Hedges    Brereton

Subs :  Pears, Ayala, Pickering, A Wharton, Dack, Gallagher, Sammie

Squad :  Phillips, Markanday, Edun, Dolan, Vale, Garett, Carter, 

Would be a good team & bench with promising squad players.... Robust enough to play 4231, 433, 343, 352. 

If we could land SVDB, JPVH and Styles I think that would be an excellent window. 

If we got those three players… we’ll, let’s just say I’d be doing gymnastics that ive never done before! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As none of them have so far landed, I'm starting to get rather worried. If we haven't been able to get the deals done by now, how is that magically going to change over the next twelve days?

The same way they magically get done in the last 12 days of most windows for most clubs. Selling clubs bend on valuations, buying clubs get more serious. Most of the window is usually brinkmanship.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gav said:

We had little to no budget in summer 2020, January 21, summer 21 and you'd now have us believe that all of a sudden someone found millions in a suitcase at the back of The Riverside in January 22 and the manager refused to spend it? 

Yes but we did have a budget pre pandemic when we brought in Brererton and Gallagher and countless other players without selling a first teamers except Raya who we sold for an initial £3 million.

Other clubs in the championship didn't make cut backs?

So far this summer we have brought in Brittain for around a million and Smzodic with reports suggesting that deal could rise to 2.5.Its definitely more than a million as Fry said they had turned down bids of over a million for him.

We also bid the money for Anel at least £3 million.

You act like Venkys have never ever allowed money to be spent which is a load of waffle.They have spent on the team it's just always inconsistent 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gav said:

Summer 21 I'd imagine the owners had lost a degree of faith in Mowbray after a dismal 20/21. He should have been sacked at that point but hey ho.

By January 22 the landscape had unexpectedly changed and a substantial one off budget and the promotion bonuses were made available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The same way they magically get done in the last 12 days of most windows for most clubs. Selling clubs bend on valuations, buying clubs get more serious. Most of the window is usually brinkmanship.

All well and good unless you try indulging in a game of poker but come up empty handed like we usually tend to do.

• Like 1

I don't think it is difficult to work out what has happened on budgets.

Venkys have always moved up and down with their backing and investments, probably depending on how 'up for it' they are or how persuasive the manager/others are.

There was a massive cutback period from 2015-17 following a reasonably healthy spell under Bowyer. Those cutbacks decimated the squad and saw us plummet out of the Championship.

Then Mowbray came along and went to India in his first summer and got the backing and investment. After 3 years that changed. Maybe due to Covid, maybe due to cutbacks, maybe due to FFP, maybe due to Mowbray failing to deliver what they expected, either way cutbacks came again and have continued up to this summer - very little if any outlay on transfer fees, a few big sales and the money goes into runnings costs, slashing of the wage bill.

Thankfully due to the productive academy and more sensible recruitment we've so far managed to avoid the fate of the 2015-17 era by remaining competitive in the Championship. It also seems there is a bit more sense somewhere along the line as to what we need in terms of structure and backroom staff with Broughton and JDT rather than Coyle and Cheston.

But fundamentally the key points are that Venkys remain in control, that we are in another lull in their financial input, that there have been no India visits which means no extra cash from Mrs Desai.

I'm afraid those thinking that these owners are going to hand Broughton and co. a £10 million warchest after what has happened to date are at the extreme end of the optimism scale. There clearly is some money, but this is limited to specific wage levels and strict criteria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think your info is extremely reliable my friend. I believe we have offered slightly more than that for JPVH but it's still a long way shy of what Brighton wanted originally so who knows if that will get done this window. Especially if he now has family issues.

Also think we're still in for Styles, VDB from Liverpool and a young Europen based Central  striker as you say.

Seems to me a drastic rethink is required either in terms of what's necessary to get the deals over the line or in terms of different personnel. They can't be the only quality players available at this stage.

Why are we looking at some unknown young European striker on loan. Surely if we was to look at this position it be someone more experienced or a perm.  

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Summer 21 I'd imagine the owners had lost a degree of faith in Mowbray after a dismal 20/21. He should have been sacked at that point but hey ho.

By January 22 the landscape had unexpectedly changed and a substantial one off budget and the promotion bonuses were made available.

Rubbish, for all the reasons stated above.

Lets see at the end of the window how much JDT was given to spend, as I'm sure your substantial budget above must still be available. Keep in mind several mangers turned the job down, which translates to not enough money to challenge the top 6.

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Rubbish, for all the reasons stated above.

Lets see at the end of the window how much JDT was given to spend, as I'm sure your substantial budget above must still be available. Keep in mind several mangers turned the job down, which translates to not enough money to challenge the top 6.

Who are these several managers that turned the job down in the summer ?

I'm aware we interviewed many but not seen any reports of us offering the job to other people and they turned it down?

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think it is difficult to work out what has happened on budgets.

Venkys have always moved up and down with their backing and investments, probably depending on how 'up for it' they are or how persuasive the manager/others are.

There was a massive cutback period from 2015-17 following a reasonably healthy spell under Bowyer. Those cutbacks decimated the squad and saw us plummet out of the Championship.

Then Mowbray came along and went to India in his first summer and got the backing and investment. After 3 years that changed. Maybe due to Covid, maybe due to cutbacks, maybe due to FFP, maybe due to Mowbray failing to deliver what they expected, either way cutbacks came again and have continued up to this summer - very little if any outlay on transfer fees, a few big sales and the money goes into runnings costs, slashing of the wage bill.

Thankfully due to the productive academy and more sensible recruitment we've so far managed to avoid the fate of the 2015-17 era by remaining competitive in the Championship. It also seems there is a bit more sense somewhere along the line as to what we need in terms of structure and backroom staff with Broughton and JDT rather than Coyle and Cheston.

But fundamentally the key points are that Venkys remain in control, that we are in another lull in their financial input, that there have been no India visits which means no extra cash from Mrs Desai.

I'm afraid those thinking that these owners are going to hand Broughton and co. a £10 million warchest after what has happened to date are at the extreme end of the optimism scale. There clearly is some money, but this is limited to specific wage levels and strict criteria.

We had a transfer embargo under Bowyer.

Agree with some of the post but would it shock me if 9 or 10 million was spent.No

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Who are these several managers that turned the job down in the summer ?

I'm aware we interviewed many but not seen any reports of us offering the job to other people and they turned it down?

To be fair Carvalhal seemingly turned us down because he wanted to bring his entire team in.

Hearing there's a possibility Sunderland fans might soon be very happy and we'll soon be very upset.

• Like 1

Hopefully Van Den Berg and Van Hecke will be Rovers players by the end of the window hopefully long term.

Hopefully Brereton stays.

Would also been nice with one more tigerish midfelder. Wonder if JDT still wants Berget and even Anders Christiansen?

I see the 'promotion bonus' thing is still getting a mention.

Ludicrous, IMO, to suggest that one of the owners suddenly decided mid-season to offer massive new bonuses to the squad to get us promoted.

Even more ludicrous is thinking that this would be permitted or that such an agreement could be arranged without entering into new contracts with the entire squad - bonus provisions need to be set out in players contracts.  In this day and age you can't just chuck a load of money on the table and divvy it up between the team. These things have to be covered with contracts, be watertight and above board. The contract has to be sent to the League.

There may well have been a substantial bonus pot in the event of promotion, but this will have been what the players all agreed to when they signed their contracts, not some special reward one the of the Venkys suddenly decided to do in January.

• Like 2