BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

40 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was having a look before at how common it is to find a 20 goal striker at this level. Over the last 10 seasons it's been achieved 47 times in the Championship. I was most amazed that we had two of them in 2014/15 (IIRC) - as Rhodes and Gestede both hit 20 league goals for the season. How on earth we didn't make the play-offs that season I do not know. 6 players reached 20 goals that season - 2 of them played for Rovers! A 20 goal a season striker would have got us into the play-offs at least this season.

Classic case of you either pay good money to guarantee goals or you look to others clubs benches. Take a punt and get someone to supply their ammunition, Conway was the oil to the Gestede machine.

I hate to bring it up but our dearest friends down the road showed the way to do it will strikers years ago.

We haven't had enough brains at this club to follow that path though.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I was having a look before at how common it is to find a 20 goal striker at this level. Over the last 10 seasons it's been achieved 47 times in the Championship. I was most amazed that we had two of them in 2014/15 (IIRC) - as Rhodes and Gestede both hit 20 league goals for the season. How on earth we didn't make the play-offs that season I do not know. 6 players reached 20 goals that season - 2 of them played for Rovers! A 20 goal a season striker would have got us into the play-offs at least this season.

Down to a rookie manager unfortunately who had no business being here.

Put a Sam, Warnock etc in charge of that bunch of players we had that season and I think we go up.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

A JDT?

Not sure i would go that far, a bit of a rookie in this country maybe.

Don't recall Bowyer winning titles and managing in the Champions League before taking the gig here though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, booth said:

We had a rookie manager. And he's since been sacked by Bradford and Salford City so I think it's safe to say he was never any good in the first place. He was just blessed with some good players.

I'll always be annoyed at Bowyer for throwing the game against Burnley when we were on top.

Bit of a surprise but bowyer looks as if hes going to win the Scottish championship and take Dundee up

2 hours ago, Athlete said:

Bit of a surprise but bowyer looks as if hes going to win the Scottish championship and take Dundee up

Ignore I'm getting the two Dundee clubs mixed up.

Edited by booth

10 minutes ago, booth said:

Is it not just the bottom half of the Scottish Premiership after they split after phase 1.

And at the moment they appear to be in fourth place of that mini league.

Scottish football is weird and I don't fully understand it so happy to be educated on this nonsense.

Dundee are top of the championship

the championship winners are automatically promoted to the premiership 

third plays fourth in the play offs

the winners of that play the team who finished second

the winners of that play the team who finished 11 in the premiership

the winners of that are either promoted to the premiership or not relegated from it.

Simple eh…

Edited to add - it’s Dundee United who are 4th in the ‘mini league’ 

2nd edit - I see you’ve noticed your error but I’ll leave the explanation up anyway 😀

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

Dundee are top of the championship

the championship winners are automatically promoted

third plays fourth in the play offs

the winners of that play the team who finished second

the winners of that play the team who finished 11 in the Premiership

the winners of that are either promoted to the Premiership or not relegated from it.

Simple eh…

Yes I was talking about the wrong Dundee, because of course there is Dundee, and Dundee United. I can only assume the Dundee that Bowyer is managing isn't quite as united as the other one. Even the clubs involved in Scottish football are confusing. I've always found the whole phase 1 and phase 2 thing in the Scottish Premiership so bizarre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, booth said:

Yes I was talking about the wrong Dundee, because of course there is Dundee, and Dundee United. I can only assume the Dundee that Bowyer is managing isn't quite as united as the other one. Even the clubs involved in Scottish football are confusing. I've always found the whole phase 1 and phase 2 thing in the Scottish Premiership so bizarre.

It’s very strange that the team in seventh can end up with more points than the team in sixth.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

It’s very strange that the team in seventh can end up with more points than the team in sixth.

I've never followed Scottish football, it always seemed so half arsed. Back in the 80s and 90s it always seemed like the equivalent of our none league, but then you'd have the behemoth Glasgow teams coming to town in tiny stadiums with small crowds. Then the other team would go to Ibrox and these, pretty much none league players would end up playing in front of a full stadium. I'm probably massively discrediting a large amount of people there, but that's how it seemed at the time.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, I remember being fascinated with Heart of Midlothian when I was a kid, just because I saw them in a Panini album and it sounded like a weird name for a football team. A bit like Huddersfield's Towns logo with a Yorkshire Terrier on it that looked straight out of Pigeon Street.

Screenshot2023-05-04at23_03_01.png.62bcb91a9b24aded1b9f964635b584dc.png
Edit: I love the fact that in a week or two's time, someone will visit this thread and see a thumbnail of a cartoon Yorkie in the posted images block on the right, and wonder what the hell that's got to do with John Dahl Tomasson.

Edited by booth
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Athlete said:

The thing is the Venksters dont seem interested in promotion 

Why ?

I really dont know ?

How would they get 10/15 mill a year through the books if suddenly the club had a 100 million income guaranteed ?

No good for cooking the books that Prem caper.

• Like 2

"We are extremely ambitious and we are going on the pitch to win every game.

“I have said that in every press conference, we haven’t won every game, we’ve lost games, but we’ve always had the mindset.

“I’m a big believer that if you have that mindset you will win more games than you lose.”

He sounds deluded.

If we get the same displays, results and same repetition of madness, particularly at the end of games, poor subs, poor use of excellence within youth.. I'm afraid I won't be backing this guy. His delusional press conferences are only acceptable as it's first season..

• Like 1