BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

11 hours ago, philipl said:

Unless posters are referring to the mighty squads of Coventry, Luton and Millwall.

Surely not? 

Watford have amazing forwards but are a shambles for the most part elsewhere. Baggies on paper scare the living daylights but on the pitch are very lacklustre. And as for Norwich- here's to a Rovers treble over them.

People mentioned these clubs having bigger and better squad but they haven't prove that this season. All 3 have changed managers at least once. 

We are getting to the point of the season when making up a deficit of 4 points or more across an ever decreasing number of games is becoming a bigger ask.

Great post made. 

Today's disappointment is tempered by Sheffield United having to face Haaland without their City loanees and now needing to play 9 games in 28 days at the season end.

Let's see if they can cope with it

Our squad isn't that miniscule. Assuming no training ground or international injuries, JDT will have Pears, Kaminski, JRC, Brittain, Ayala, S Wharton, Hyam, Carter, Pickering, Morton, Travis, Thomas, Dack, Szmodics, Brereton, Gallagher (16) to select from as players with a lot of minutes plus Edun, Garrett, A Wharton, Phillips and Vale (5 more) whom we know can do thorough reliable jobs before needing to select from Mola, Leonard and the kids.

Accepting Buckley is out for the duration, that is not overwhelming riches but far from a bad situation to be in going into 9 league games and 3 play-off fixtures spread over 2 months.

Agreed Philipl

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People mentioned these clubs having bigger and better squad but they haven't prove that this season. All 3 have changed managers at least once. 

The fact they haven’t shown it so far this season doesn’t mean people can’t be concerned that it won’t prove to be the case in April.

We’ll all find out in a few short, and hopefully not too stressful, weeks.

It's not really the size of the squad for me but the lack of experience. Compare our bench to theirs yesterday. They had several experienced players and we had largely kids who are promising but to throw them into a real scrap could be detrimental to them and the team. I hope I'm wrong but my worry is that the infertile January window could cost us.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's not really the size of the squad for me but the lack of experience. Compare our bench to theirs yesterday. They had several experienced players and we had largely kids who are promising but to throw them into a real scrap could be detrimental to them and the team. I hope I'm wrong but my worry is that the infertile January window could cost us.

Then again the ‘ignorance of youth’ may play to our advantage.

Of course if we could finish more of the chances we’re now creating we’d have the opportunity to ‘rest players’ towards the end of matches.

That would be good not only for the team, but for all our blood pressures!

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

The fact they haven’t shown it so far this season doesn’t mean people can’t be concerned that it won’t prove to be the case in April.

We’ll all find out in a few short, and hopefully not too stressful, weeks.

I think people are far too concerned about other teams instead of looking as it down to us to make the playoffs by getting enough points and this is in our hands now not others

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

That kid Brierley is playing well in a bad team at Rochdale. I hope we’ve got him  nailed down at least.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think people are far too concerned about other teams instead of looking as it down to us to make the playoffs by getting enough points and this is in our hands now not others

How many points will be ‘enough’  is contingent on how many points the teams in chasing pack gets.

Also, I presumed you started this thread to discuss all the teams and not just Rovers…

42 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

How many points will be ‘enough’  is contingent on how many points the teams in chasing pack gets.

Also, I presumed you started this thread to discuss all the teams and not just Rovers…

I think Rovers need another 12 points to get a playoff place. 

Its going to be exciting last 9 games but the current playoffs teams look well set to be the teams in the playoffs for me

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Rovers need another 12 points to get a playoff place. 

Its going to be exciting last 9 games but the current playoffs teams look well set to be the teams in the playoffs for me

12 points may be enough - as long as it doesn’t include losing to Norwich, Coventry, Luton and Millwall!

I’d be surprised if one team doesn’t make a late run, I just hope it’s not at our expense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

12 points may be enough - as long as it doesn’t include losing to Norwich, Coventry, Luton and Millwall!

I’d be surprised if one team doesn’t make a late run, I just hope it’s not at our expense.

I just don't the negative thought process here when we are the 4th best form in the league in the last 10 games. 

Lets just continue the form and given how we are playing currently I have no concerns yet. 

Preston, Luton, Burnley and Millwall is obviously a high-pressure run-in with it being 2 local Derbys and 2 teams in the top 6.

The next 4 up of Big Club, Norwich, Huddersfield and Hull are far more straight forward on paper. Approach those games in the same manner as the two Sheffield United games and we will hopefully be well on our way before the last 4.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

• Backroom

I'm unsure why we haven't tried BBD up front, with Dolan on the left, Thomas on the right, and Sammie tucked in behind.

That amount of sheer running and willpower would frighten any defence at this level, and several in the level above.

I can STILL see Sammie's thoughts when scoring that second at Leicester. Come hell and high water, he was putting that fucking ball into the back of that fucking net.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, philipl said:

Apart from Boro, I don't go along with this "others have greater strength in depth" than us argument.  

Unless posters are referring to the mighty squads of Coventry, Luton and Millwall.

Watford have amazing forwards but are a shambles for the most part elsewhere. Baggies on paper scare the living daylights but on the pitch are very lacklustre. And as for Norwich- here's to a Rovers treble over them.

We are getting to the point of the season when making up a deficit of 4 points or more across an ever decreasing number of games is becoming a bigger ask.

Today's disappointment is tempered by Sheffield United having to face Haaland without their City loanees and now needing to play 9 games in 28 days at the season end.

Our squad isn't that miniscule. Assuming no training ground or international injuries, JDT will have Pears, Kaminski, JRC, Brittain, Ayala, S Wharton, Hyam, Carter, Pickering, Morton, Travis, Thomas, Dack, Szmodics, Brereton, Gallagher (16) to select from as players with a lot of minutes plus Edun, Garrett, A Wharton, Phillips and Vale (5 more) whom we know can do thorough reliable jobs before needing to select from Mola, Leonard and the kids.

Accepting Buckley is out for the duration, that is not overwhelming riches but far from a bad situation to be in going into 9 league games and 3 play-off fixtures spread over 2 months.

Can Edun and Vale do reliable jobs? I don't think either ever has in a Rovers shirt! Garrett is very much a question mark too.

(You did miss Hedges and Dolan from your list)

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Can Edun and Vale do reliable jobs? I don't think either ever has in a Rovers shirt! Garrett is very much a question mark too.

(You did miss Hedges and Dolan from your list)

Oops!

But there you go- 18 regular seasoned first teamers plus another 5 who have seen first team football and been pretty decent 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

When have Edun and Vale been pretty decent?

Vale goals at West Ham and Norwich were pretty significant for Cup progress but otherwise has yet to really show at Championship level.

Edun has been pretty decent consistently when he has come in. One sub par performance has got the crowd on his back a bit but I am sure he can do a decent enough job at Championship level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

Vale goals at West Ham and Norwich were pretty significant for Cup progress but otherwise has yet to really show at Championship level.

Edun has been pretty decent consistently when he has come in. One sub par performance has got the crowd on his back a bit but I am sure he can do a decent enough job at Championship level.

I must be at different games!

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Why so negative 😁

haha. I am one of the most positive people on this messageboard 

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The potential points deduction for Reading could hand one of Wigan / Blackpool/ Huddersfield a lifeline.

Curious to see what the EFL does there.

Looks like at least 6 points for Reading. Wigan might get a point deduction and Huddersfield might go into administration before Thursday deadline plus 12 points deduction, but a takeover might happen by then 

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Good, can’t say I’m that fond of Wigan, relegated us, broke dack and laughed about it, had the horrible Sam morsy and manager Paul cook on their side, stole our league 1 title, always seem to get results v us. 
Goodbye 

But apart from that I'm sensing a fondness for Wigan 😉

• Like 2