BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Why ecstatic? That seems strong.

I'm struggling to understand why some people are so delighted at the prospect of Undav. Yes his goals record is decent, but how good is the Belgian league really? Some strong sides better than us, but several we would likely paste. I admit I don't know it well, but always seemed a bit SPL-y to me.

He had ONE season in the top Belgian league, with a good goals record, and 8 goalless Prem games (amounting to less than 90 minutes total I was told). Before that, his football took place in the Belgian second tier (one season), German third tier (two seasons) and the German fourth tier (four seasons), and I can't say I put any stock at all in those leagues.

I'd class it as a decent, potentially interesting signing that certainly may turn out well if we manage it (after all, Brighton rated him enough to pay a few million, but only similar to what we paid for Gally and look how that turned out...a transfer fee is no guarantee of quality). But ecstatic seems a stretch, personally. I think people are just pleasantly surprised we are chasing a 26-year old striker that has actually scored goals at a good rate somewhere, and not really thinking the profile and accomplishments of the player through that much.

He's also 5 ft 10, just for those who are convinced we need to stick a big lump up top.

I think you’ve answered your question, a few times in your post.

There was a shocking amount of Belgian football on the tv during covid and I watched Union games, several times. Undav is impressive, he and I think his name was Vranier, had a great partnership up front. Good finisher and great instincts, good record at a decent level, good enough for Brighton to take him in the prem. Needs a run of games and would a perfect number 9 in our system.

Edited by Fraserkirky

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I'm struggling to understand why some people are so delighted at the prospect of Undav. Yes his goals record is decent, but how good is the Belgian league really? Some strong sides better than us, but several we would likely paste. I admit I don't know it well, but always seemed a bit SPL-y to me.

He had ONE season in the top Belgian league, with a good goals record, and 8 goalless Prem games (amounting to less than 90 minutes total I was told). Before that, his football took place in the Belgian second tier (one season), German third tier (two seasons) and the German fourth tier (four seasons), and I can't say I put any stock at all in those leagues.

Our friends from down't road brought a few in from Belgium and they are doing alright 🤷🏽‍♂️

5 hours ago, phili said:

The thing is we are still operating at a 105% player wage to turnover %. Unless we can magically get Waggot to increase turnover with a decent commercial department we are always going to get outbid by competitors on players.

Also if we want to go down the Brighton and Brentford model, they do everything through data models and analysis for scouting. Brentford's owner also owns one of the largest statistical data providers for Gambling companies which feeds into Brentford's tools. 

Are we still at 105% though after we lost a lot of senior players (Johnson, Lenihan, Rothwell etc)? What accounting period was the wage turnover for?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

And over-reliant on “data”. I get the distinct feeling we spend longer looking at pages of statistics than we do watching footballers play football.

Nail on the head. Take for example our signing this week as a case study.

Nerd analyst 1: my stats show me we aren't creating very many chances, in fact we're one of the worst in the championship in that regard, can you help?

Nerd scout 1: say no more. "Hey Google, find me a player with lots of assists in the championship last season"

Wilson - no chance

Swift - no chance

Semenyo - no chance

Wallace - no chance

Thomas - now maybe if Gregg can stop sweating long enough he might be able to negotiate a deal here!

Nerd scout to Gregg: "I've found our man! Loads of assists and crosses last season, wages fairly low according to transfermarkt "

Gregg: "sounds good! From open play? Can he take a man on?"

Nerd scout: "no idea, shall I sign him on football manager?"

Gregg: "nah fuck it he'll do, even Chaddy on that bloody BRFCS site is getting restless now!"

• Like 6

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'd class it as a decent, potentially interesting signing that certainly may turn out well if we manage it (after all, Brighton rated him enough to pay a few million, but only similar to what we paid for Gally and look how that turned out...a transfer fee is no guarantee of quality). But ecstatic seems a stretch, personally. I think people are just pleasantly surprised we are chasing a 26-year old striker that has actually scored goals at a good rate somewhere, and not really thinking the profile and accomplishments of the player through that much.

He's also 5 ft 10, just for those who are convinced we need to stick a big lump up top.

Union and Brighton are both owned by Tony Bloom. Bloom moved an asset into a higher value PL after one good season in Belgium as one of those 'projects' just in case he made it at PL level. He hasn't.

Also a nice way to fund Union.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For me we're already in the midst of it. Started when we played Burnley imo. Barring something unexpected happening in the last few days of the transfer window I'd be surprised if we finish much better than about 14th.

Including the Burnley debacle it's 7 points from 8 Championship games including 3 complete humiliations.

Looks a wee bit like a collapse.

The wins against Norwich in the league and Cup distort what has happened. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

Not sure what this is based on really. 

Watkins - Exeter

Scott Hogan - Rochdale

Ezra Konsa - Charlton 

Andre Gray - Luton

Tarkowski - Oldham 

Chris Mepham - Chelsea Youth

Ryan Woods - Shrewsbury 

Maupay - St Etienne 

Benrahma - OCG Nice

These are their bigger sales in the last 6 or 7 years. As you can see, it's basic, good scouting mostly in the lower tiers of English football.  

EDIT - I know what you mean by a smaller pool but we seem to be aiming for quite established players. Hyam, Brittan, Smodics - now Gelhardt and Undav... None of that is particularly inspiring scouting work is it.  That's like me on football manager 2005 scrolling through Man United reserves trying to loan David Bellion. 

The scouting is uninspiring to say the least. We are quite good at nurturing our own young players though thank God! When the pool is smaller the quality of scouting matters even more I suppose. We have a first team coach and DoF with expertise in Dutch and Scandinavian leagues and many of those players are ineligible to play for us which is a massive shame. 

16 hours ago, J*B said:

Undav isn’t happening, change of plan at the Brighton end. They’re now trying to work out if they have let someone else take pole position with Geldhart. 

I recall you backing us to sign 2 players before the game tomorrow (pretty sure it was you, apologies if not) - 1 down, but do you still think that?

Really hope Greg can work some magic, we have glaring issues and time is ticking!

Edited by TheRevAshton

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Norwich were in turmoil then too. The following 2 games they've banged 8 goals in away from home under Wagner. I dread to think how many we'd ship against them now.

We beat them 1-0 in his first game

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

All about the scouting mate....we have shit ones 

Says who? You? What makes someone qualified to judge the ability of a scout? Rovers have one of the largest teams behind the scenes in the division, it isn't an issue of identifying the players, they're being identified, it's an issue above that of actually getting those players to come here. Wage offers are much better elsewhere, we no longer have facilities that far outweigh others in the modern era either.

12 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

they are either non existant or f*****g useless,if the club is skint then get down to the lower divisions and try to find someone you can improve and sell on,ollie watkins started at exeter,jamie vardy at fleetwood

I think they have signed players from lower leagues and it's not really worked out. There's not much quality around in L2, NL, NLN at the minute, it's really stalled over the past few years. Tyrhys Dolan is a good example of some positive stuff we've done. But you look at James Brown from Ireland, Tayo Edun from League One and Sammie Szmodics too - is that the market we really want to dish more and more time into?

11 hours ago, Miller11 said:

And over-reliant on “data”. I get the distinct feeling we spend longer looking at pages of statistics than we do watching footballers play football.

I think we both know that's not true. Out of a recruitment department that's now extremely large at 15+ people including all the part time staff, only around 2 or 3 have a data focus. Rovers are out at more games than pretty much most teams in the Championship. They have more live match based scouts than most teams in the Championship. Again, it's not an issue of identification, it's an issue of actually convincing those players to come here. We don't have the budget and we don't have the pull we once had.

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Lucas Joao looks like he could be an option.

I liked him a lot. Is this a comment in terms of him being available or any news coming from sources at the club? 

Would be very happy with him. Good in the air, on the floor, strong, worries defences, achieved a 1 in 2 goal ratio in the Championship over a couple of seasons.

Hard to think of many better options.

• Like 2

Lucas Joao is two years too late. We need to go the Armstrong route buy cheap with a sell on clause. Has a good season or so here and gets a move. Atleast we benefit from it and might actually get some return on our investment. If we could do that and have continued success doing it, we might actually be an appealing option for players.

Edited by Danny O.Brien