BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season tickets 2023-24 - what could/should be offered ?

So you would go down the road of scrapping STs entirely (even though no other club is having issues selling them) over just reducing prices? An approach that has worked out big time for Bolton and PNE?

(Hopefully you won’t bite my head off this time)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Why? 

As things stand, the only real benefit from having one is you sit in the same seat every game really, given that kick off changes mean many can't make every single game.

Next season you won't even need one to secure high demand away tickets with Burnley out of the equation, unless we get a particularly good cup draw ay some point.

If the season ticket is cheap, say £250-£300, and you have a membership option that you pay £50 and you get match tickets for £18 or whatever then its win win for everyone. 

The membership will only work if season tickets are cheaper per match.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

If the season ticket is cheap, say £250-£300, and you have a membership option that you pay £50 and you get match tickets for £18 or whatever then its win win for everyone. 

The membership will only work if season tickets are cheaper per match.

The membership might work even if the season tickets were the same price per match.

If a member ended up attending all the matches, they’d have paid the extra £50 fee (the equivalent of £2.17 per match)

They’d start spending less (in absolute terms) than a season ticket holder on missing their fourth match (assuming your £300 season ticket price) - perhaps there’s an argument that the ‘break even point’ should be set at a higher number of games.

This could be done in one of two ways, a higher initial fee or a higher (as you suggested) price per ticket.

With a bit of thinking and creativity (ha!) I think this could work - but I also agree with those who say lowering the price is the quickest and easiest option to implement.

In my opinion, they should be looking at doing both.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hasta said:

Waggot will be wincing at the reduction in turnover he can fleece from away followings. We’ve lost Burnley, Sheff U, Wigan and Blackpool and so far the confirmed replacements are Southampton, Plymouth and Ipswich.

Matchday prices will need to rise to get that back on budget.

They'll bring good followings if it's a weekend game although there'll still be a big shortfall compared to the others.

Cat A it is then.

25 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The membership might work even if the season tickets were the same price per match.

If a member ended up attending all the matches, they’d have paid the extra £50 fee (the equivalent of £2.17 per match)

They’d start spending less (in absolute terms) than a season ticket holder on missing their fourth match (assuming your £300 season ticket price) - perhaps there’s an argument that the ‘break even point’ should be set at a higher number of games.

This could be done in one of two ways, a higher initial fee or a higher (as you suggested) price per ticket.

With a bit of thinking and creativity (ha!) I think this could work - but I also agree with those who say lowering the price is the quickest and easiest option to implement.

With @Upside Down ‘s suggestion and pricing I would still get a season ticket over membership, but it’s a good idea to try and appeal to fans who can’t make every game.

But if the season tickets or buying individually worked out the same price to attend all games, just the £50 membership  option to pay on top, I would absolutely go down the membership route. You’d only have to miss 3 games to make it worthwhile. The problem then is the attendances for midweek games and games like Hull on a Saturday night would be pretty low, and if our season was done by March you would have some shocking home attendances. I drag myself down to some games (especially mid week) in the knowledge I have technically ‘bought’ it through my season ticket. I simply wouldn’t go if I hadn’t paid for them.

It would be better for us fans, but Im sure Rovers would ultimately lose out. Plus instead of guaranteed money upfront, the income they receive is uncertain and spread throughout the year. For the club a season ticket is still the safest way forward, it’s just simply too expensive at Ewood.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

With @Upside Down ‘s suggestion and pricing I would still get a season ticket over membership, but it’s a good idea to try and appeal to fans who can’t make every game.

But if the season tickets or buying individually worked out the same price to attend all games, just the £50 membership  option to pay on top, I would absolutely go down the membership route. You’d only have to miss 3 games to make it worthwhile. The problem then is the attendances for midweek games and games like Hull on a Saturday night would be pretty low, and if our season was done by March you would have some shocking home attendances. I drag myself down to some games (especially mid week) in the knowledge I have technically ‘bought’ it through my season ticket. I simply wouldn’t go if I hadn’t paid for them.

It would be better for us fans, but Im sure Rovers would ultimately lose out. Plus instead of guaranteed money upfront, the income they receive is uncertain and spread throughout the year. For the club a season ticket is still the safest way forward, it’s just simply too expensive at Ewood.

Your point about ‘dead games’ at the end of the season is a good one which I hadn’t even considered.

I still think it’s a viable option to supplement season tickets, but maybe it needs a bit more thought (something we know the club won’t do!)

Season tickets may well be the safest way, and I agree they’re priced too highly to encourage more sales - I just think there are gains to be had from something between a season ticket and buying tickets on a game by game basis.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

So you would go down the road of scrapping STs entirely (even though no other club is having issues selling them) over just reducing prices? An approach that has worked out big time for Bolton and PNE?

(Hopefully you won’t bite my head off this time)

Its just an idea, I know it'll never happen.  But I'm interested to know why Chaddy thinks it's so ludicrous given that the actual benefits from being a season ticket holder diminish every season.  Christ you even needed 1875 club on top to easily secure a Burnley away ticket last season, or face a mad scramble in the next phase.

• Backroom

My overall plan for STs (I know I've said it several times but hey-ho) if the club listened to me (or indeed some of the Trust's ideas that are similar):

Based on the 'Twenty's Plenty' principle from the FSA, I'd say £15 in the Riverside, £25 in JWU central, £20 everywhere else.

STs valued at approx £10-15/game so Riverside would be the 'Bleachers section' at £229, JWU central would be £349, everywhere else would be £299. Obviously this is just adult rate, concessions/students/chn will be priced down, but I want to keep this simple.

Another option could be to pay the club £5/month (or £50 annually) in order to be able to purchase a seat for any game at the pro-rated ST value.

Next one is a bit different. Half STs...why are they only available at Christmas?

These should be at a flat rate of £150 for anywhere in the ground (£200 for JWU central). These can either be available for the first half of the season, or the second half of the season.

4 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

In reality they are probably looking at doing neither.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Why? 

As things stand, the only real benefit from having one is you sit in the same seat every game really, given that kick off changes mean many can't make every single game.

Next season you won't even need one to secure high demand away tickets with Burnley out of the equation, unless we get a particularly good cup draw ay some point.

Cos people having season ticket isn't the problem but the price of the some fans who want one unaffordable. 

Yes I think membership scheme is a good idea for fans who can make a number of games a season but can't afford a season ticket or can't make every game a season due to family or work commitments, etc. 

You don't get a season ticket to get away days tickets anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Christ you even needed 1875 club on top to easily secure a Burnley away ticket last season, or face a mad scramble in the next phase.

I wanted to go that game but I refuse to become a member of 1875 club as being a loyal STH should be enough. I wanted to do the Millwall away game but given how Rovers priority tickets firstly for people who actually been to away games first which I think was right given they been to number of away games which sadly this season wasn't able to do. 

11 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Your point about ‘dead games’ at the end of the season is a good one which I hadn’t even considered.

I still think it’s a viable option to supplement season tickets, but maybe it needs a bit more thought (something we know the club won’t do!)

Season tickets may well be the safest way, and I agree they’re priced too highly to encourage more sales - I just think there are gains to be had from something between a season ticket and buying tickets on a game by game basis.

If the season ticket is much better value then it will work. 

21 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

If the season ticket is much better value then it will work. 

Something like?:

Season ticket £299 

Membership £50 + £18 per match attended

Match tickets £25

Season ticket = better value than membership at 14 matches attended

Membership  = better value than match tickets at 8 matches attended

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 9

Just now, wilsdenrover said:

Something like?:

Season ticket £299

Match tickets £25

membership = better value than match tickets at 8 matches attended

So fucking easy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Something like?:

Season ticket £299 

Match tickets £25

Incredible just how easy a problem this is to fix yet Swag can’t do it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Something like?:

Season ticket £299 

Match tickets £25

This is the best way, keep it simple no need for complicated pricing we've been down that and it didn't work.

8 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Something like?:

Season ticket £299 

Match tickets £25

I’ve looked at some figures and I think to ‘break even’ (revenue wise) vs 10,000 season tickets at £400 you’d need around 5,000 additional fans to join the membership scheme.

I’ve assumed:

no season ticket holders would transfer to the membership scheme as I don’t think   you’d buy a season ticket if you thought you’d miss 9 matches

an average number of matches attended by a member as 10 as I don’t think you’d join the scheme if you weren’t confident you’d attend at least the 8 to break even (and some would end up attending many more)

I’ve said around 5,000 additional fans as you’d have to take into account the lost match day revenue (£7 per ticket per match) from members who ‘would have attended anyway’

I didn’t want to guess at this - but you’d think the club could run a database search to ascertain ‘average number of games attended by non season ticket holders’

Whether circa 5,000 members would be realistic, I don’t know - I just thought I’d throw the numbers ‘out there’

Of course there is the intangible benefit of more ‘support for the lads’ to consider as well (although I’m not sure SW does consider this).

13 hours ago, J*B said:

Incredible just how easy a problem this is to fix yet Swag can’t do it. 

i'd sign up for that instead my three season tickets aren't being renewed. For me or the kids. We missed so many games with them being moved ( we can only come to weekend games ). Do the club care we aren't renewing do the hell 

Edited by PeteJD13

I kind of understand why... but I wouldn't ever remove season tickets from sale. Just figure out the cost per game and take them off as the games go by. I know it might lead to less initial uptake but it could equally work the other way with a decent start to the campaign. 

This time of year people are paying for holidays, and given one (if you're lucky two) paydays to cover a £400 cost. Spreading over V12 isn't ideal for everyone and people don't want hard credit searches on their credit record. £1600 for 4 STs with a season 3 months away or £1600 towards a family holiday to Tenerife for 2 weeks? No brainer for most.

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I kind of understand why... but I wouldn't ever remove season tickets from sale. Just figure out the cost per game and take them off as the games go by. I know it might lead to less initial uptake but it could equally work the other way with a decent start to the campaign. 

This time of year people are paying for holidays, and given one (if you're lucky two) paydays to cover a £400 cost. Spreading over V12 isn't ideal for everyone and people don't want hard credit searches on their credit record. £1600 for 4 STs with a season 3 months away or £1600 towards a family holiday to Tenerife for 2 weeks? No brainer for most.

Buy yourself a season ticket and send the rest of the family to Tenerife - win win 😁

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Its a point me and @Miller11were discussed this weekend on here. What happens if your job situation changes and you can afford and purchase a ST in late September cos your work or financial situation has change. You shouldn't be prevent from buying one

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

This is fair point and understandable one if that's situation. why ST prices should be the same all summer