BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

For me, this season's report will be defined by next season.

If it's used as a learning curve, springboard, building block or whatever other phrase you want to put there, for this season, then you could class this is a positive season. 

If we just carry on treading the same familiar Venky path as always, it's going to be a serious opportunity missed and a complete failure. 

I think we all know which of those two it will be. 

On 12/05/2023 at 14:51, philipl said:

Very solid A from me for JDT and GB.

Ownership and CEO bought into the vision and plan of the two of them in making the appointments so assessment has to be against the criteria they set.

Both have been absolutely clear to the point of being repetitously boring this is a project which JDT has signed up to for 3 years.

Looking around the EFL, the clubs with ownerships willing to contemplate such an approach are extremely rare-

Coventry, Luton, Rovers, Wycombe, Accrington, Sutton are the ones I can think of.

So JDT and GB have to be judged against the benchmarks they set and have been accepted by the Raos.

JDT - a transition season. He has given chances and integrated the academy youngsters, imposed his approach throughout the club (in many ways to the detriment of results in the u-21s and u-18s) and has got more out of Carter, Pears and JRC I would ever have believed possible.

Oh and we missed out on the play offs on goal difference.

Go back to the season expectations posted on brfcs last July and tell me this isn't a solid A for JDT.

Giving GB an A is more controversial. Mola and Hirst didn't work out, Morton is no Elliott but no Clarkeson either, Brittain and Szmodics very good replacements in slots we never wanted to become vacant while Hyam is an upgrade on Lenihan.

The hard work was done in January. Thomas, O'brien and Brierley was a fabulous set of signings. The easy bit was cocked up but Broughton stood up in public to take the responsibility even though in my book the CEO always is where the buck stops.

I am more generous than everyone else but by the same measure, the project will be more than half way through this time next year and an A in 23/24 will require a concerted serious promotion campaign. 

Jesus Philip, what grade will we get for the play-offs or an auto spot? A++++++++++++.

C+ in school grade terms, can do better and is capable of more, just needs to apply themselves better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Jesus Philip, what grade will we get for the play-offs or an auto spot? A++++++++++++.

C+ in school grade terms, can do better and is capable of more, just needs to apply themselves better.

And the O'Brien and Brierley fiasco wasn't just the only issue. Broughton needed to bring in a goalscorer and failed with time to spare, potentially costing the club a ridiculous amount of money. So I'm not sure how he gets an A grade for that.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2023 at 09:51, jim mk2 said:

Number of days in the top 6 this season

Blackburn Rovers: 211

Sunderland 51

Coventry City 17

Hurts doesn't it? 

You only need ONE day in the playoffs.  Just has to be the last one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tricky said:

wonder if we'd have gone up if VAR existed within this crazy league...

The obvious ‘ in our favour’ decisions would have been Coventry’s goal being disallowed and the penalty against Burnley (which we’d still have needed to score)

Buckley’s red card is probably overturned as well.

However I’m ‘old school’ and believe decisions do even themselves out over the course of a season

In any event, we’d probably have messed up the playoffs anyway!

Edited by wilsdenrover

5 minutes ago, USABlue said:

You only need ONE day in the playoffs.  Just has to be the last one.

yeah, maybe we need to start the season near the bottom for once too

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

The obvious ‘ in our favour’ decisions would have been Coventry’s goal being disallowed and the penalty against Burnley (which we’d still have needed to score)

Buckley’s red card is probably overturned as well.

However I’m ‘old school’ and believe decisions do even themselves out over the course of a season

In any event, we’d probably have messed up the playoffs anyway!

agreed tbf

On 09/05/2023 at 17:09, BRFC_Polky said:

I've been looking at how we have fared in different statistics now our season has come to an end. 

I've used the app FotMob who use Opta for their stats. I've also included our rank in the league in brackets per stat.

Goals per match - 1.1 (14th)

Goals conceded per match - 1.2 (10th)

Average possession - 53.7% (6th)

Clean sheets - 15 (8th)

Goals - 52 (14th)

Expected goals/XG - 46.3 (20th)

Shots on target per match - 3.7 (13th)

Big chances created - 51 (14th)

Big chances missed - 35 (22nd)

Accurate passes per match - 369.5 (5th)

Accurate long passes per match - 30 (1st)

Accurate crosses per match - 2.8 (24th)

Clean sheets - 15 (8th)

Interceptions per match - 8.7 (20th)

Successful tackles per match - 10.8 (3rd)

Possession won in final third per match - 3.9 (18th)

Clearances per match - 19.9 (11th)

Penalties conceded - 1 (22nd)

Penalties awarded - 2 (21st)

Saves per match - 2.7 (7th)

Fouls per match - 10 (18th)

Yellow cards - 94 (7th)

Red cards - 3 (10th)

Am I reading this right? - we created 51 ‘big chances’ but we only scored 16 of them.

Most of those stats are rubbish, football is fluid and unpredictable and yet numbers people think it can be quantified, morons....

We finished 7th, we don't score enough goals and need to maintain our form for the whole season, i don't need stats to show me this.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Most of those stats are rubbish, football is fluid and unpredictable and yet numbers people think it can be quantified, morons....

We finished 7th, we don't score enough goals and need to maintain our form for the whole season, i don't need stats to show me this.

Surely you need the goal scoring stats…

oh, and there’s no need to call people morons

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Am I reading this right? - we created 51 ‘big chances’ but we only scored 16 of them.

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Big chances created - 51 (14th)

Big chances missed - 35 (22nd)

The Millwall goal rush lifted us off the bottom right? 😎

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Your quantity of points is a statistic. The fact we don't score enough goals is a statistic. You actually do need stats to show you that

But, yep, it's all for morons isn't it 🙂

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Your quantity of points is a statistic. The fact we don't score enough goals is a statistic. You actually do need stats to show you that

But, yep, it's all for morons isn't it 🙂

Hence starting the statement with most, so please reread and restate.

6 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Surely you need the goal scoring stats…

oh, and there’s no need to call people morons

Sticks and stones.

Also I didn't call anyone on here a moron, I quite clearly stated the numbers people IE those that come up with these stats were morons, so unless you are 1 there is no need to take offence.

What on earth is a big chance? Aye I had a great game, I created 4 big chances and a little one, excellent performance. Never heard that before in football, sounds like, I almost scored or failed.....

• Like 1

This season we really did over achieve. I’m quite happy with JDT, what more could he have done with that squad. At times the tactics and substitutions were mind boggling but I think he has a plan.
The January window was a disaster but the contract situation has improved significantly. GB can’t be held responsible for BBD.

All in all a solid B grade, over achieved but there was an opportunity. This window is the most critical in years. Keep our young players and add some depth and quality. We need goals but they may already be in the squad. The idiots in India may have hired the right people but they need to support them now.

• Like 2