BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 09/05/2023 at 17:09, BRFC_Polky said:

Accurate passes per match - 369.5 (5th)

This must be between Hyam, Carter and Pears surely...

14 hours ago, M_B said:

The boos when passing out from the back all but disappeared for the last few games, because everyone(almost) could see the reward for doing it. 

I'm only joking though - I agree I get why we're doing it, hearing the boos is frustrating and just ramps up the pressure for me. if people could put aside their knee jerk reactions and stop heckling and just see what we're they're trying to do it might help, but it is understandable when you're desperate to see us move up the pitch and the opposition are just bearing down on us. I think people get frustrated as you can see that the lads doing it maybe aren't 100% sure of it and their own ability. Allardyce's tactic to make sure a team is always in the opponent's third as much as possible helps bring the average up for the amount of chances created, we almost do the opposite...

Hyam does like a square pass maybe a tad more than others, but it's mainly down to having nothing in front of him to pick it up. Now that A. Wharton is back in, we have someone finally to pick it up from the defence. 

It's my one query about JDT, is he playing this system regardless of player, wanting to imprint this style on the club as a whole? The other approach is for a manager to come in and review what players he has and create a system that works with what he's got, not the other way round. I think that's where our inconsistencies lie and hence it being a transition season. 

It's funny how football has evolved, one manager starts to develop it (the German clubs, City etc) and it filters down through the leagues, albeit with a lower standard of player to carry it off (Russell Martin's Swansea for example), we're starting to see teams counter acting it through hard work and nouse, see Luton. 

Watching this, there's similarities between us and Brighton in the way JDT has us setup, and also how many times have we seen this done to us this season: 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

This must be between Hyam, Carter and Pears surely...

I'm only joking though - I agree I get why we're doing it, hearing the boos is frustrating and just ramps up the pressure for me. if people could put aside their knee jerk reactions and stop heckling and just see what we're they're trying to do it might help, but it is understandable when you're desperate to see us move up the pitch and the opposition are just bearing down on us. I think people get frustrated as you can see that the lads doing it maybe aren't 100% sure of it and their own ability. Allardyce's tactic to make sure a team is always in the opponent's third as much as possible helps bring the average up for the amount of chances created, we almost do the opposite...

Hyam does like a square pass maybe a tad more than others, but it's mainly down to having nothing in front of him to pick it up. Now that A. Wharton is back in, we have someone finally to pick it up from the defence. 

It's my one query about JDT, is he playing this system regardless of player, wanting to imprint this style on the club as a whole? The other approach is for a manager to come in and review what players he has and create a system that works with what he's got, not the other way round. I think that's where our inconsistencies lie and hence it being a transition season. 

It's funny how football has evolved, one manager starts to develop it (the German clubs, City etc) and it filters down through the leagues, albeit with a lower standard of player to carry it off (Russell Martin's Swansea for example), we're starting to see teams counter acting it through hard work and nouse, see Luton. 

Watching this, there's similarities between us and Brighton in the way JDT has us setup, and also how many times have we seen this done to us this season: 

I agree it was infuriating earlier in the season when there didn't seem any point to it, but the longer the season has gone on, we're making chances from it, and it's really easy on the eye. 

The Brighton comparison is interesting, it brings into focus Tomasson's comments regarding his remit. That remit being that the club has to play in such a way as to show our young players can make the step up(it's almost as if there's a plan). 

We missed out last season and it was a real disappointment. This season, with a much weaker Championship, it should be even more galling, yet I'm really upbeat for next season. 

Thankfully the Tomasson leaving rumours seem to have been knee jerk and unfounded, it's the last thing we need. 

• Like 1

Very solid A from me for JDT and GB.

Ownership and CEO bought into the vision and plan of the two of them in making the appointments so assessment has to be against the criteria they set.

Both have been absolutely clear to the point of being repetitously boring this is a project which JDT has signed up to for 3 years.

Looking around the EFL, the clubs with ownerships willing to contemplate such an approach are extremely rare-

Coventry, Luton, Rovers, Wycombe, Accrington, Sutton are the ones I can think of.

So JDT and GB have to be judged against the benchmarks they set and have been accepted by the Raos.

JDT - a transition season. He has given chances and integrated the academy youngsters, imposed his approach throughout the club (in many ways to the detriment of results in the u-21s and u-18s) and has got more out of Carter, Pears and JRC I would ever have believed possible.

Oh and we missed out on the play offs on goal difference.

Go back to the season expectations posted on brfcs last July and tell me this isn't a solid A for JDT.

Giving GB an A is more controversial. Mola and Hirst didn't work out, Morton is no Elliott but no Clarkeson either, Brittain and Szmodics very good replacements in slots we never wanted to become vacant while Hyam is an upgrade on Lenihan.

The hard work was done in January. Thomas, O'brien and Brierley was a fabulous set of signings. The easy bit was cocked up but Broughton stood up in public to take the responsibility even though in my book the CEO always is where the buck stops.

I am more generous than everyone else but by the same measure, the project will be more than half way through this time next year and an A in 23/24 will require a concerted serious promotion campaign. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, M_B said:

The boos when passing out from the back all but disappeared for the last few games, because everyone(almost) could see the reward for doing it. 

The boos for passing it about at the back were earlier in the season when we over did it massively and cost us goals. For the second half of the season we actually started to hit it forward more direct when required, especially if we were under pressure. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Heckling and booing? Hardly a hostile atmosphere for the players, although its a narrative we often go back to.

A for Broughton 😂 failed to get a striker, failed to get an experienced midfielder, both massively hindered us. Also stunk out the loan market.

The deal for Undav was completed but the player had a very late change of mind.

The rest is explained in my post if you care to read it.

18 minutes ago, philipl said:

The deal for Undav was completed but the player had a very late change of mind.

The rest is explained in my post if you care to read it.

So he didnt sign a striker, yes. He did in the summer, his first choice and he was sent back in January because he was so bad. And we struggled to score all season. 

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Ownership and CEO bought into the vision and plan of the two of them in making the appointments so assessment has to be against the criteria they set.

Both have been absolutely clear to the point of being repetitously boring this is a project which JDT has signed up to for 3 years.

Looking around the EFL, the clubs with ownerships willing to contemplate such an approach are extremely rare-

Coventry, Luton, Rovers, Wycombe, Accrington, Sutton are the ones I can think of.

So JDT and GB have to be judged against the benchmarks they set and have been accepted by the Raos.

JDT - a transition season. He has given chances and integrated the academy youngsters, imposed his approach throughout the club (in many ways to the detriment of results in the u-21s and u-18s) and has got more out of Carter, Pears and JRC I would ever have believed possible.

Go back to the season expectations posted on brfcs last July and tell me this isn't a solid A for JDT.

Giving GB an A is more controversial. Mola and Hirst didn't work out, Morton is no Elliott but no Clarkeson either, Brittain and Szmodics very good replacements in slots we never wanted to become vacant while Hyam is an upgrade on Lenihan.

The hard work was done in January. Thomas, O'brien and Brierley was a fabulous set of signings. The easy bit was cocked up but Broughton stood up in public to take the responsibility even though in my book the CEO always is where the buck stops.

I am more generous than everyone else but by the same measure, the project will be more than half way through this time next year and an A in 23/24 will require a concerted serious promotion campaign. 

What club were you following this season?

Undav must have been intereted in the first place to ultimately "change his mind". They obviously didnt sell the club to him. Once he was 'in the door' with some interest in moving to Ewood, it is up to GB to convince them it is the right move.

Failed.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Undav must have been intereted in the first place to ultimately "change his mind". They obviously didnt sell the club to him. Once he was 'in the door' with some interest in moving to Ewood, it is up to GB to convince them it is the right move.

Failed.

Evan Ferguson got injured for Brighton against Liverpool on 29 January. 

Sh1t happens...

53 minutes ago, philipl said:

Evan Ferguson got injured for Brighton against Liverpool on 29 January. 

And missed 1 game.

If Undav had left discussions at Ewood excited to be a regular starter at the top end of the Championship for a club he was impressed with, I'm not sure that that makes a whole lot of difference.

Edited by Hasta

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

And missed 1 game.

If Undav had left discussions at Ewood excited to be a regular starter at the top end of the Championship for a club he was impressed with, I'm not sure that that makes a whole lot of difference.

The decision was on 30 January. 

The Ferguson injury looked serious at the time.

In the event Undav has had marginally more game time than Markanday at Aberdeen.

Here's hoping we have vastly less ill fortune with the window opening in 28 days' time.

On 08/05/2023 at 21:29, goozburger said:

I was expecting a lower mid-table finish during what was no doubt a transitional season with a difficult situation regarding contracts, so I'm pleased that we were well above that.

We have had some absolute stinkers, and the players need to learn when to be up for it. It would be nice to be the dominant force amongst our local rivals for a change, but we always seem to get outdone.

One thing I like about JDT is that he is decisive - both in the style of play (whether we like it or not), and who deserves to be in the side. It seems like years since we had a manager who appears to have a plan.

If JDT stays, is given a reasonable budget to play with, and the form filler-outers get their fingers out their arses, then I'm hopeful that we can reach the play-offs next season.

You're right, of course, @goozburger ; but don't forget what a very big word "If" can be.

On 12/05/2023 at 14:51, philipl said:

True, dat @philipl !

I don't remember any commitment by the ownership; let alone them "being absolutely clear to the point of being repetitously boring this is a Project which JDT has signed up to for 3 years."

I've read JDT say that; but nothing from our owners. And what if there's another snafu on the next transfer deadline day, leading to us missing out on someone else JDT thought would advance "the Project"?

In such an event, he wouldn't be human if he didn't think he was surrounded by incompetents; and start looking - before the three years of The Project were up - for a more business-like football club for him to be Head Coach.

God knows the last transfer window proved that he seems to have the reverse at Ewood.

For me, this season's report will be defined by next season.

If it's used as a learning curve, springboard, building block or whatever other phrase you want to put there, for this season, then you could class this is a positive season. 

If we just carry on treading the same familiar Venky path as always, it's going to be a serious opportunity missed and a complete failure. 

• Like 2