BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I've been looking at how we have fared in different statistics now our season has come to an end. 

I've used the app FotMob who use Opta for their stats. I've also included our rank in the league in brackets per stat.

Goals per match - 1.1 (14th)

Goals conceded per match - 1.2 (10th)

Average possession - 53.7% (6th)

Clean sheets - 15 (8th)

Goals - 52 (14th)

Expected goals/XG - 46.3 (20th)

Shots on target per match - 3.7 (13th)

Big chances created - 51 (14th)

Big chances missed - 35 (22nd)

Accurate passes per match - 369.5 (5th)

Accurate long passes per match - 30 (1st)

Accurate crosses per match - 2.8 (24th)

Clean sheets - 15 (8th)

Interceptions per match - 8.7 (20th)

Successful tackles per match - 10.8 (3rd)

Possession won in final third per match - 3.9 (18th)

Clearances per match - 19.9 (11th)

Penalties conceded - 1 (22nd)

Penalties awarded - 2 (21st)

Saves per match - 2.7 (7th)

Fouls per match - 10 (18th)

Yellow cards - 94 (7th)

Red cards - 3 (10th)

• Like 8

The main stat to look at in the league table is the goal difference. That’s what killed us in the end and ours in reality puts us in 11th. 
You don’t need fancy stats or to be Einstein to see where our problems lie on the pitch. Of course there are bigger problems upstairs. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

The main stat to look at in the league table is the goal difference. That’s what killed us in the end and ours in reality puts us in 11th. 
You don’t need fancy stats or to be Einstein to see where our problems lie on the pitch. Of course there are bigger problems upstairs. 

What’s your logic for this?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Look at the table. Goal difference puts us in 11th. I’m trying to point out what our shortcoming is. It’s lack of goals scored. 

I’m looking at the table and we’re 7th

Our goal difference is the 14th worst in the league.

Our goals scored is also 14th

I can see the point you’re making, but not why you’re saying it puts us in 11th.

Edited by wilsdenrover

JDT and Squad: B (Playoffs would be B+, promotion A).

GB: C. Did well on Hyam, SS and Britain. WTF was Mola about. Hurst poor. Catastrophically failed re striker so almost C-. I do not blame him for the sabotage of O'Brien, he didn't pull the plug.

Maggott and Co - I need therapy to even think of them.

Owners - I hope to live long enough to see their arses out of the Rovers door.

JDT has grown on me as the season has evolved, even during the end of season death spiral. He played with the cards he had. I hope he stays.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

That stat for me was one of the most frustrating of the season. We never took the risk enough of Brereton or Gallagher getting their heads onto a cross. Its such a huge part of the game yet we never seemed to try it as an option. I'd be interested to know our stats for goals from set pieces too, as they to my mind that would be pretty woeful return too. Having a dangerous set piece taker next season could be huge.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cesus said:

That stat for me was one of the most frustrating of the season. We never took the risk enough of Brereton or Gallagher getting their heads onto a cross. Its such a huge part of the game yet we never seemed to try it as an option. I'd be interested to know our stats for goals from set pieces too, as they to my mind that would be pretty woeful return too. Having a dangerous set piece taker next season could be huge.

We used to be such a top team at scoring from crosses. For over a decade we had absolutely first rate wingers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

I've been looking at how we have fared in different statistics now our season has come to an end. 

I've used the app FotMob who use Opta for their stats. I've also included our rank in the league in brackets per stat.

Goals per match - 1.1 (14th)

Goals conceded per match - 1.2 (10th)

Average possession - 53.7% (6th)

Clean sheets - 15 (8th)

Goals - 52 (14th)

Expected goals/XG - 46.3 (20th)

Shots on target per match - 3.7 (13th)

Big chances created - 51 (14th)

Big chances missed - 35 (22nd)

Accurate passes per match - 369.5 (5th)

Accurate long passes per match - 30 (1st)

Clean sheets - 15 (8th)

Interceptions per match - 8.7 (20th)

Successful tackles per match - 10.8 (3rd)

Possession won in final third per match - 3.9 (18th)

Clearances per match - 19.9 (11th)

Penalties conceded - 1 (22nd)

Penalties awarded - 2 (21st)

Saves per match - 2.7 (7th)

Fouls per match - 10 (18th)

Yellow cards - 94 (7th)

Red cards - 3 (10th)

How many accurate crosses per match did the team ranked first have?

20 hours ago, cesus said:

We scored 9 goals from set plays and were at position 18th

Millwall were 1st with 24

Notably Sunderland with 8 and Coventry with 7 were below us in the set play success table.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Millwall, 5.8 per match.

Thank you for looking that up for me 😀

I wonder what determines if a cross is successful or not? - the same  ‘ball in’ could have different outcomes depending on whether it’s a Sam Gallagher or an Alan Shearer ‘waiting in the middle’

I also imagine Wilcox and Ripley had far more than 5.8 per match in 94/95 - how the game has changed, not necessarily for the better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Thank you for looking that up for me 😀

I wonder what determines if a cross is successful or not? - the same  ‘ball in’ could have different outcomes depending on whether it’s a Sam Gallagher or an Alan Shearer ‘waiting in the middle’

I also imagine Wilcox and Ripley had far more than 5.8 per match in 94/95 - how the game has changed, not necessarily for the better.

It was definitely far more exciting back then that's for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

It was definitely far more exciting back then that's for sure.

The second half performance against Millwall reminded me of the year we went up under Souness. Rampaging forward in numbers.

• Like 1

B minus

The promised land of the playoffs looked virtually certain but results fell away when it really mattered and in the end we weren't good enough - again

We've been out of the Premier League for 10 years plus and never once made the top 6 - meanwhile Sunderland come up from League One and make it at the first attempt. That is a huge and continuing indictment of the club. The FA Cup defeat was harrowing and should not have happened

It was a strange season - we played badly and were largely awful to watch for many months yet results were very good. Then the football improved as the players finally seemed to embrace Tomasson's methods but results got progressively worse.

Some players have progressed nicely while others have seemingly gone backwards. 

Rovers have to get it right this summer with good quality Championship standard performers or better identified early and signed early - no more last minute rejects from PL clubs please. And Tomasson has to show he's learnt from this season's huge disappointment

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Number of days in the top 6 this season

Blackburn Rovers: 211

Sunderland 51

Coventry City 17

Hurts doesn't it? 

Yes but not as much as it should as I expected a FU and it came.

Playing with 10 men in most of the final 9 games didn't help. For clarity I include Morton in the 10 man team for those games pre injury.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

The boos when passing out from the back all but disappeared for the last few games, because everyone(almost) could see the reward for doing it. 

We played some really nice stuff towards the end of the season but the  shortcomings were obvious. 

Put Gelhardt and Diallo in our squad and we walk into the play offs and Sunderland miss out. 

The recruitment department have a lot of making up to do. 

• Like 2