BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Least competitive leagues based on the points per game the winners can expect to get v the highest place relegated team.

In order of least competitive to most competitive

WomensSL 2.136

Womens champ 1.86

Premier League 1.71

Scottish Prem 1.71

National league 1.36

Championship 1.239

League 1 1.21

League 2 1.02

So well done league2 on being the most competitive league and shame on the Womens Super League for creating the least competitive

Edited by 1874
added spl
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 1874 said:

Least competitive leagues based on the points per game the winners can expect to get v the highest place relegated team.

WomensSL 2.136

Womens champ 1.86

Premier League 1.71

National league 1.36

Championship 1.239

League 1 1.21

League 2 1.02

So well done league2 on being the most competitive league and shame on the Womens Super League for creating the least competitive

And now the most hated man among females. The league will get there. I'd rather pour scorn on the PL looking at those stats. Thats where the money is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

And now the most hated man among females. The league will get there. I'd rather pour scorn on the PL looking at those stats. Thats where the money is. 

Its the same all over Europe

France Womens League1 2.22

Womens La liga 2.133

Womens Serie A 2.05

Womens Bundesliga 1.86

Serie A 1.55

France League1 1.40

La Liga 1.30

Bundesliga 1.12

Womens leagues are the least competitive.

It's not a reflection on the standard of football 

Just now, 1874 said:

The stats above from top down show the leagues you are most likely to be relegated from

It also shows in reverse order the leagues you are most likely to finish higher in ( but not necessarily win)

which one should we enter then?

On 27/05/2023 at 23:57, 1874 said:

WomensSL 2.136

Womens champ 1.86

Premier League 1.71

Scottish Prem 1.71

National league 1.36

Championship 1.239

League 1 1.21

League 2 1.02

Leagues with fewer teams will generally be less competitive in these terms. The best teams play the worst teams more frequently. That (partly) explains the discrepancy in the Women's leagues. 

On 28/05/2023 at 11:34, 1874 said:

Its the same all over Europe

France Womens League1 2.22

Womens La liga 2.133

Womens Serie A 2.05

Womens Bundesliga 1.86

Serie A 1.55

France League1 1.40

La Liga 1.30

Bundesliga 1.12

Womens leagues are the least competitive.

It's not a reflection on the standard of football 

But it does reflect that standard

2 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Leagues with fewer teams will generally be less competitive in these terms. The best teams play the worst teams more frequently. That (partly) explains the discrepancy in the Women's leagues. 

No they only play each other once home and away so the points per game difference should be smaller. If womens leagues were expanded it would mean more bad teams and less competition based on the way I worked it out

Premier league2 {U21s) has a similar number of fixtures and they work out competitive

North 1.19

South 1.4

Edited by 1874
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 19:44, RevidgeBlue said:

The more offerings I hear from Broughton the more I despair.  The guy is a bs merchant extraordinaire. He must think the supporters are completely thick in trying to make out the season can be viewed positively because during the final disastrous run in various irrelevant "performance metrics" allegedly improved. There are only 2 indicators that ultimately matter, scoring more goals in a game than you let in at the other end and securing enough points to secure promotion.

Agree. Call me naive but the performance metric that matters most is wins and losses. Another tool who is passing off failure as success. 

On 25/05/2023 at 19:44, RevidgeBlue said:

I also see in an LT article that we're thinking of employing a throw in coach. Absolute insanity -  we need a decent squad of players and a couple of decent strikers before we start fannying around with window dressing like that. 

Agree we need a decent squad but I'm not against stuff like this. It costs relatively nothing and if it improves our limited set of players then overall its money well spent. We have to get the maximum we can from the players we have.

Mind you if the attention is on this over securing a squad then yes it is a poor way to run things. As an addition alongside a squad its a good move imo. 

On 06/06/2023 at 14:23, Blue blood said:

Agree. Call me naive but the performance metric that matters most is wins and losses. Another tool who is passing off failure as success. 

Not sure why my post was deleted, but I’ll try again…..

Last season was probably the best season we’ve had in a decade or more. Posters should keep in mind, this time last year we had no manager and 5 first team players had just left, including our captain!

Ok we fell just short in the final reckoning, but we had a superb cup run and saw the emergence of several players that will see us challenge again this season coming. 

To call last season a failure is quite simply wrong and shortsighted claptrap. It was anything but failure and sets us up nicely for the coming season. 

More of the same please JDT.

• Like 4

With Gav on this.

The potential for us to have fallen apart with some wrong appointments was all too real. 

Some great foundations put in place and being in the hunt for Cup semi-finals and play-off places was a bonus we could not have expected of right.

Having said that, 23/24 is about shooting for automatic promotion irrespective of who is in the Championship. In many ways, how we see the season just gone is going to be reflected in whether it has set us up for an extra special season to come.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

With Gav on this.

The potential for us to have fallen apart with some wrong appointments was all too real. 

Some great foundations put in place and being in the hunt for Cup semi-finals and play-off places was a bonus we could not have expected of right.

Having said that, 23/24 is about shooting for automatic promotion irrespective of who is in the Championship. In many ways, how we see the season just gone is going to be reflected in whether it has set us up for an extra special season to come.

Automatic promotion? You really think that is possible? You have to be ruthlessly clinical, get at least in the high 80s in points, sometimes in the 90s. For context, we finished 22 points behind last season, and have since lost our only source of goals and have been told that we are reliant on frees and loans. Plus 3 big clubs have come down.

Play offs? Definitely much more feasible, you need 70 or maybe a bit more to get in, you can afford the odd stutter in form, teams with low budgets regularly get in, Luton, Coventry, Swansea, a recently promoted and Mowbray managed Sunderland and bloody Barnsley. And its easier to come up with things to cling on to, if he stays maybe Tomasson can learn from some mistakes he made, maybe many of our players who only performed for at most half a season can really kick on and have a full season (A Wharton, Carter, Szmodics, Rankin Costello) and maybe some of our under performers from last season can do better, people like Buckley, Travis and Dolan. Maybe Ennis can provide something we didnt have last season, maybe we can bring in good loans rather than shit ones, maybe we can bring in a set piece taker, maybe we can bring in a couple of useful frees. All that cobbled together may offset the losses from the squad and we could get 70 points or above, but it seems impossible to get top 2.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Automatic promotion? You really think that is possible? You have to be ruthlessly clinical, get at least in the high 80s in points, sometimes in the 90s. For context, we finished 22 points behind last season, and have since lost our only source of goals and have been told that we are reliant on frees and loans. Plus 3 big clubs have come down.

Why shouldn't it possible to got top 2 next season? What is it with this defeatist attitude? We are the 12th most successful club in English Football. This is Blackburn Rovers . Why shouldn't we think "Big"?  

I see the championship 23/24 wide open and no stand out team at this stage. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why shouldn't it possible to got top 2 next season? What is it with this defeatist attitude? We are the 12th most successful club in English Football. This is Blackburn Rovers . Why shouldn't we think "Big"?  

What the bloody hell has that got to do with anything? Will we be given a bigger transfer and wage budget by the EFL due to us being a historic club?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You're absolutely right, Chaddy. You think like that, I think like that, as do many others. The problem is, nobody in a senior position at the club (above JDT) thinks like that. That is what is most likely going to prevent us from a top 2 finish.

The Division is there for the taking next season. Nothing to fear whatsoever from Leeds, Leicester and Southampton coming down, imo. If we can get the right signings in I expect us to be in the play off mix again.

I'm not impressed with us being linked with lower league players so far, but there's time for that to change and for better players to actually arrive later on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

You're absolutely right, Chaddy. You think like that, I think like that, as do many others. The problem is, nobody in a senior position at the club (above JDT) thinks like that. That is what is most likely going to prevent us from a top 2 finish.

The Division is there for the taking next season. Nothing to fear whatsoever from Leeds, Leicester and Southampton coming down, imo. If we can get the right signings in I expect us to be in the play off mix again.

I'm not impressed with us being linked with lower league players so far, but there's time for that to change and for better players to actually arrive later on.

I think GB and JDT do think that way 

All 3 relegation clubs have massive issues to sort out and will take time to sort out. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Urgh, negative or defeatist. Im just being what I think is realistic. To finish top 2, you have to be brilliantly consistent. We were over 20 points away last year, before losing our only goalscorer and having no money to replace him. Conversely, top 6 is a different conversation. So many sides with similar resources have got there.

We should think big but we havent since Venkys came.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Urgh, negative or defeatist. Im just being what I think is realistic. To finish top 2, you have to be brilliantly consistent. We were over 20 points away last year, before losing our only goalscorer and having no money to replace him. Conversely, top 6 is a different conversation. So many sides with similar resources have got there.

We should think big but we havent since Venkys came.

Yet again the same old stats but we were much closer to top 2 at certain points of the season. 

I see this season wide open at the current stage. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again the same old stats but we were much closer to top 2 at certain points of the season. 

I see this season wide open at the current stage. 

So? Shrewsbury were close to us in L1 at one point, they just didn’t have the players to keep pace.

That’s football, generally if you are chasing a side the bigger squads with the best players pull away in the end. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

22 points off. We was nowhere near. No missed signing in January would have got us into the top 2, we had 43 points after 28 games, it would have taken a further 16 wins and 1 draw from 18 games to make it.

And as mentioned, you often find the top teams putting their foot on the gas towards the end, consistently racking up wins.