BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

So close. yet so far. Why has it taken until now to come back in a game?

I like JDT, but without the backing of new players, we will always flatter to deceive.

Comes down to owners who don't give a shit. No passion.

Another Championship season beckons. No money, no progress. ST sales down, too expensive.

It will not happen under these crap owners.

• Like 2

Back in July I could see little reason for confidence although I was still confident we would be OK in avoiding relegation. 

Certainly wouldn't have forecast missing out on a play off place on goal difference. 

There are huge positives from the playing style brought in by JDT and the emergence of the youngsters. 

An extremely encouraging season.

• Like 4

7th placed finish which is the highest we've been since all those years ago when Venkys took over, but disappointing when with a couple of players we would likely have got an extra few points and into the play offs.

Positively speaking, for the first time in a long time we are faced with the prospect of an interesting season if the manager is backed and stays. Will they? Their past record tells me all I need to know but I would hope with us losing out on the play offs due to goal difference that it makes them realise we have a good chance to go for it next season.

We need to bring in some quality and move on some of the players that have massively let us down.

At the beginning of the season I predicted a 12th place finish due to lack of goals, questions over the fullback positions, over reliance on the academy and a lightweight midfield. So it exceeded my expectations.

One massive worry is that near the start of the season Broughton said we wouldn't be doing a lot of business in January, and he stuck to that! Considering our lofty position you would have thought there would be some course correction, but it seems at Rovers if they make a decision, they don't just stick to it, they also sabotage what little business they've decided to do.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

Although it appears that we've over-achieved, it has to be seen a huge disappointment considering the position we were in. Ultimately, the lack of investment has seen us come up short.

My concern is we have a lot of very average players (Pickering, Travis, Hedges, Dolan to name a few) amongst some promising young players (JRC, A. Wharton) and as much as we need quite a few decent additions, can you really see it happening? 

I don't understand why JDT gets some grief on here, I think he's done an excellent job with the resources he has and I think we'll struggle to keep hold of him. 

While Venky's, Broughton, Waggott etc are running the show - it's not going to get any better. I hope I'm wrong, but I've been hoping for a decade. They've made a massive contribute in us inventiblely coming up short, not the players and certainly not the manager. 

• Like 4

For me a good season. We’ve missed the playoffs on GD, had two great cup runs in which we’ve beaten PL teams and had some bad luck in the last few games. I will be gutted if JDT leaves because, in a first season in English football, he has done a remarkably good job with limited resources.

• Like 8

I was expecting a lower mid-table finish during what was no doubt a transitional season with a difficult situation regarding contracts, so I'm pleased that we were well above that.

We have had some absolute stinkers, and the players need to learn when to be up for it. It would be nice to be the dominant force amongst our local rivals for a change, but we always seem to get outdone.

One thing I like about JDT is that he is decisive - both in the style of play (whether we like it or not), and who deserves to be in the side. It seems like years since we had a manager who appears to have a plan.

If JDT stays, is given a reasonable budget to play with, and the form filler-outers get their fingers out their arses, then I'm hopeful that we can reach the play-offs next season.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Utter shite - total failure ???

it’s a B - progression with an element of stability and bringing the academy players though who have done themselves and the club proud !

Numerous performances where we just couldn't be arsed. 

Came from behind to win how many times?

Senior management sabotaging the transfers, either deliberately or just sheer incompetence. 

The dingles win the league at Ewood. 

Sunderland, managed by a dolloper who couldn't even manage a playoff finish despite being 2nd in February when he was here, beat us to 6th.

You see this as progress? Jesus wept.

• Like 6

We finished higher than I expected before the season started, so that was a plus.  But we showed during the season we were capable of more than expected, so to drop out of the play-offs at the end is disappointing. Next season we need to finish top 6 as we have shown this season we are capable of it.

Must sort out our transfer business and ensure no more stupid mistakes and letting high value players walk for nothing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, booth said:

7th placed finish which is the highest we've been since all those years ago when Venkys took over, but disappointing when with a couple of players we would likely have got an extra few points and into the play offs.

Positively speaking, for the first time in a long time we are faced with the prospect of an interesting season if the manager is backed and stays. Will they? Their past record tells me all I need to know but I would hope with us losing out on the play offs due to goal difference that it makes them realise we have a good chance to go for it next season.

We need to bring in some quality and move on some of the players that have massively let us down.

At the beginning of the season I predicted a 12th place finish due to lack of goals, questions over the fullback positions, over reliance on the academy and a lightweight midfield. So it exceeded my expectations.

One massive worry is that near the start of the season Broughton said we wouldn't be doing a lot of business in January, and he stuck to that! Considering our lofty position you would have thought there would be some course correction, but it seems at Rovers if they make a decision, they don't just stick to it, they also sabotage what little business they've decided to do.

Running down BBDs contract gives the owners a perfect excuse , to spend sweet FA !

They sold Armstrong , where did that go ?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Running down BBDs contract gives the owners a perfect excuse , to spend sweet FA !

They sold Armstrong , where did that go ?

The Armstrong money probably filled the hole left by the Gallagher and Brereton-Diaz transfers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

I think Broughton tried to do business in the January transfer window, he was just hamstrung by inept Senior Management (the Club Secretary or the CEO, take your pick) and his own naivety. Hopefully he learns from it as he's very inexperienced at the new role. 

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think Broughton tried to do business in the January transfer window, he was just hamstrung by inept Senior Management (the Club Secretary or the CEO, take your pick) and his own naivety. Hopefully he learns from it as he's very inexperienced at the new role. 

It would be very refreshing if they did come out and say lesson have been learnt and that they let JDT down. Then promise to make amends in the summer. 

Broughton is all pump no poo. I have no doubt we’d be looking forward to the play offs had O’Brien and a striker been added to our squad.  That transfer window really was embarrassing.

season = C    Must learn and do better.

B+ for me for JDT,  coaching staff & players. Didn't expect us to be in contention at all back in summer.

But it's an F for the backroom team who let everyone down very badly. Just when we needed them to perform, they failed.

So overall it's a C for me.

Hurts like hell right now but, being objective, that has to be the score.

I've sent another email to SW, hopefully he will reply to this one rather than just have his assistant acknowledge it & say it had been passed on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

B+ for me for JDT,  coaching staff & players. Didn't expect us to be in contention at all back in summer.

But it's an F for the backroom team who let everyone down very badly. Just when we needed them to perform, they failed.

So overall it's a C for me.

Hurts like hell right now but, being objective, that has to be the score.

I've sent another email to SW, hopefully he will reply to this one rather than just have his assistant acknowledge it & say it had been passed on.

I'd say its a U for the backroom but a B- for the playing side. Played some good games and ground out some results but threw far too many games away with not turning up. 

D overall. 

If it was C then we'd be in the play-offs. 

Manager: B+ 

Players: C-

Recruitment: D

Negatives

Only Sheff United and Burnley spent more time in the top six than Rovers, but we finished 7th. 

An overall negative goal difference.

Burnley won the league at Ewood. 

Three of our better players leave on a free transfer. 

Previous weaknesses once again exposed - Sheff United in the Cup, Coventry in the League, PNE in the League, Luton in the League, Rotherham in the League.

Failure to land a No9 (including George Hirst being named “top target”) and the LOB debacle proves to be the difference  

Positives

Adam Wharton becomes the best player at the club. 

JRC goes from a waste of a wage to an all action, aggressive, risk taking right back. 

Hyam comes in at least as good as Lenihan. 

Szmodics defines a classic Rovers player for me. 

An interesting summer ahead, plenty to be encouraged with if you ask me but it all lies in recruitment. We need at least 6 first team players through the door. 

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I'd say its a U for the backroom but a B- for the playing side. Played some good games and ground out some results but threw far too many games away with not turning up. 

D overall. 

If it was C then we'd be in the play-offs. 

I'm not disagreeing, those scores are definitely in range.

But a D is a failure in old money (I.e. not accepted at college & university) and I think, given the goal on his appointment last summer, JDT and his coaches have done well overall despite the admin cock ups, and in the main the players were left exposed to making physical & mental errors due to the lack of depth in the squad that 2 or 3 more decent players could've brought (O'Brien, one or two experienced strikers & / or Brierley).

As for the backroom team it would be a U but for the fact that most young players with promise or who have broken through already are on long term deals. If the stated aim was long term stability & self reliance then that's the main big step achieved IMO. Of course, that has to be realised by their ongoing development, contribution to success on the pitch & / or being very saleable assets (much to prove), and that just cannot mask the shambles that was January which, imo, ultimately is what caused us to miss out..

If ever there was a season to repeatedly slap Rovers in the face this was it, like having a carrot dangled in front of you, enough to keep the hope going to kill us all off - some of the best times and some of the certain worst times. Seeing Burnleh and Mowbray laud it over us is a bitter pill to swallow. 

Did I read it's the lowest points tally for entry to the playoffs since '88?

We're literally a coat of paint, a Hedges brain-fart, the length of Hyam's stud, or a qualified fax machine operator from being in the playoffs, then we view it all so differently. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 6

Same as last season, B or a B- for me.

69 points is a very decent haul, but not good enough considering our position for the vast majority of the season.

Certainly happy and hopeful that Tomasson continues, and doubtful in Broughton's competence. Well aware that the owners have this season and will continue to be that huge limitation factor on our ambitions.

• Like 1