BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

10 hours ago, Aqualung said:

RIP to Franny Lee BTW. 

It wouldn't be a surprise to me if that famous punch up between him and Norman Hunter got reviewed and both players stayed on the pitch!! 

Fuck Var off and go back to the old system imho. 

Franny won that bout.

I saw him live at Burden Park. IIRC Rovers won by a Douglas goal.

RIP to a great player.

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Franny won that bout.

I saw him live at Burden Park. IIRC Rovers won by a Douglas goal.

RIP to a great player.

I saw him a few times, top notch player. He was part of the City team that ran us ragged in that 1-4 FA Cup defeat. 

My best memory is of a league game at Ewood a week or so before he left Bolton for City.  We were winning 2-1 late on and Bolton wanted to sub off striker Bob Hatton and bring on another player. Hatton was dragging his feet, he didn’t want to go off. Franny Lee came running over and gave  him a real mouthful, telling him “ Get the fuck off this pitch now ! “ This was right in front of me and I was a bit shocked to hear him swearing at a team mate.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, bazza said:

I go back to my initial take on VAR. It should be one man at a screen on the ground in communication with the referee. If there has been a blatant mistake by the ref, VAR man tells him . Ref makes final decision. No-one needs to know, read or hear this conversation. Simple!

I do agree with it being one man, but hearing it is not a bad thing for fans in the ground

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

VAR: “Thank you mate.”

Referee: “Well done boys, good process.”

Replay operator: “Wait, wait, wait, wait. The on-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this?”

Lol, the replay operator like... wtf are you doing lads? You can tell by the transcript that he's totally baffled by what they're deciding. Transcript makes it seem like total chaos tbh. 

Just now, DE. said:

VAR: “Thank you mate.”

Referee: “Well done boys, good process.”

Replay operator: “Wait, wait, wait, wait. The on-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this?”

Lol, the replay operator like... wtf are you doing lads? You can tell by the transcript that he's totally baffled by what they're deciding. Transcript makes it seem like total chaos tbh. 

My favourite part was 

"Oh [expletive]"

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

My favourite part was 

"Oh [expletive]"

Really strange that there isn't a protocol where the VAR has to explicitly state "we have concluded onside/offside", rather than just saying "check complete". VAR is supposed to remove ambiguity, but that conversation is pretty bloody ambiguous, let alone when it's happening in such a short space of time. "Good process" ... I have to disagree. This is just a very poor standard of communication between officials. The obvious question is whether it's a lack of a proper process in place, a lack of training, or if the VAR/AVAR in this instance were just being grossly incompetent in terms of not following established procedures. The fact the ref didn't request for specifics in terms of being told onside or offside suggests it's more likely to be one of the first two possibilities, though. 

Honestly, it's no wonder VAR is such a mess if this is how they're communicating with each other. 

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Really strange that there isn't a protocol where the VAR has to explicitly state "we have concluded onside/offside", rather than just saying "check complete". VAR is supposed to remove ambiguity, but that conversation is pretty bloody ambiguous, let alone when it's happening in such a short space of time. "Good process" ... I have to disagree. This is just a very poor standard of communication between officials. The obvious question is whether it's a lack of a proper process in place, a lack of training, or if the VAR/AVAR in this instance were just being grossly incompetent in terms of not following established procedures. The fact the ref didn't request for specifics in terms of being told onside or offside suggests it's more likely to be one of the first two possibilities, though. 

Honestly, it's no wonder VAR is such a mess if this is how they're communicating with each other. 

I thought the same. You'd thought there would be a standard process for each review i.e. state what you're reviewing, what the onfield decision was and then after running through a checklist state clearly what the decision is. Other sports do it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DE. said:

Howard Webb has changed this now

- Guidance to Video Match Officials has always emphasised the need for efficiency, but never at the expense of accuracy. This principle will be clearly reiterated
- A new VAR Communication Protocol will be developed to enhance the clarity of communication between the referee and the VAR team in relation to on-field decisions
- As an additional step to the process, the VAR will confirm the outcome of the VAR check process with the AVAR before confirming the final decision to the on-field officials 

https://x.com/FA_PGMOL/status/1709258060328227067?s=20

40 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I thought the same. You'd thought there would be a standard process for each review i.e. state what you're reviewing, what the onfield decision was and then after running through a checklist state clearly what the decision is. Other sports do it. 

if the VAR room is watching the game properly I would have thought it was very obvious what they are looking at? 

• Backroom

Bizarre that it needed an incident like this for the people in charge of this to realise that clear and concise communication is important, honestly. Just shows how utterly unprepared and mismanaged the implementation of VAR has been up to this point. It's not like there aren't other established examples in other sports to follow for guidance. VAR itself has been in the PL for, what, 3+ seasons now? It's embarrassing that basic communication protocols aren't mandated. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

Bizarre that it needed an incident like this for the people in charge of this to realise that clear and concise communication is important, honestly. Just shows how utterly unprepared and mismanaged the implementation of VAR has been up to this point. It's not like there aren't other established examples in other sports to follow for guidance. VAR itself has been in the PL for, what, 3+ seasons now? It's embarrassing that basic communication protocols aren't mandated. 

4 years isn't it? 

We never seen a mistake like this before tho, I think Howard Webb has a massive job with the PGMOL to improve the standard of refereeing at all professional levels aswell as VAR. 

I would still like to see Howard Webb in the VAR room for this weekend fixtures at least to see what is actually going on. 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

4 years isn't it? 

We never seen a mistake like this before tho, I think Howard Webb has a massive job with the PGMOL to improve the standard of refereeing at all professional levels aswell as VAR. 

I would still like to see Howard Webb in the VAR room for this weekend fixtures at least to see what is actually going on. 

This is the only one we know of. Agree that Webb has a very difficult job on his hands though.

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

This is the only one we know of. Agree that Webb has a very difficult job on his hands though.

I guess we would know if they were. 

I have confident in Howard Webb sorting it all on whether its the standard of refereeing or VAR

23 minutes ago, Hasta said:

This current, ongoing Man United implosion under Ten Hag, who they all thought was some kind of messiah when he went there, is wonderful viewing.

The current ownership problem and what is going on with the takeover is massive concern there. What are Glazer actually doing? 

6 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Funny how Ten Haag looked promising at one point, and is now failing like every manager since Ferguson. It's going to be a very long time before they challenge for the title.

I thought he was the one they should have gone for at the time. I still thought that last season. It's looking like he's not the right choice at all this season.

Releasing De Gea on a free and spending over £40m on Onana makes selling Kaminski and replacing him with Pears almost seem sensible.

They could have spent the Mount and Onana money on Kane - although their new striker at least looked decent last night.

Definitely enjoyable to watch them toil. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

I thought he was the one they should have gone for at the time. I still thought that last season. It's looking like he's not the right choice at all this season.

Releasing De Gea on a free and spending over £40m on Onana makes selling Kaminski and replacing him with Pears almost seem sensible.

They could have spent the Mount and Onana money on Kane - although their new striker at least looked decent last night.

Nobody can save this sinking ship. Not even Pep.

20 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't think Spurs and Levy would have ever sold to another PL club. 

The uncertain of the owners and the takeover is affecting the club full time whether its the players on the pitch or fans in the stadium or the staff employed there. The takeover need sort quickly otherwise it will continue to cause problems and be destabilising affect on the entire club

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think Spurs and Levy would have ever sold to another PL club. 

I think if United wanted him badly enough - he'd have gone there.

Spurs might have accepted an offer from United if they knew he didn't want to go anywhere else and he was going to go for free next summer if they didn't accept an offer. 

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think if United wanted him badly enough - he'd have gone there.

Spurs might have accepted an offer from United if they knew he didn't want to go anywhere else and he was going to go for free next summer if they didn't accept an offer. 

I think Levy would have stopped it and let him gone for a free transfer. 

I do think Kane made the best decision for him moving to Bayern as he will be playing Champions League football every season and should win the league. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Levy would have stopped it and let him gone for a free transfer. 

I do think Kane made the best decision for him moving to Bayern as he will be playing Champions League football every season and should win the league. 

Completely agree on the Bayern move. It's a great city and a much better career move than Manchester United at present.