BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

14 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’d love us to be able to compete in the Premier League without having to compromise the values of our town and the people we represent. 

I’ve no interest in competing in the premier league if it means compromising the values I associate with the club. I’ve no interest in being in the premier league if we cannot compete and lose to the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea and soon to be Qatar owned Manchester United most weeks. 

I remember you excitedly talking about going to Wembley. But surely if we did, youd rather we lost?

What are the ‘values of our town’ and how would they be ‘compromised’ by playing in a different division? Empty platitudes. The town of Luton certainly won’t be poorer for the experience.

‘The town’ much enjoyed twenty years of Premier League football from what I remember. And even now ‘small’ clubs are doing fine up there. Odd stuff, J*B…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

I don't want Rovers to compete in the same league as state run clubs either, with plastic fans on the other side of the globe who care more about celebrity than sport, who's sole reason for success is to indoctrinate the next generation.

I want Rovers to be in the top division, I just want those clubs to either lose their nefarious owners or fuck off to a Super League so I can enjoy the football I watch without the need to scrub my soul clean at 5pm on a Saturday (or more likely 6pm on a Sunday, or 10pm on a fucking Friday).

I presume that's the same point JB is making.

• Like 3

I'd enjoy seeing a Super League happen. Not that I'd care much for watching it, but it'd be great to see the big clubs fu** off. 

All the uproar about it is only resulting in gradual changes to the Champions League which will become a super league in all but name. Get rid of them completely and have true competition back at the top level in this country.

• Like 2

The Euro Super league won't happening and neither should it. Fans don't want. 

on Bournemouth sacking Gary O'Neil is a utter bizarre decision and truly shocking decision. He did a great job last season with them and keeping them up. deserve more respect and to keep his job

It is a bit of a strange one. I thought his appointment was a risk but he did very well to keep them up so easily.

Suppose the example of Southampton when they were doing ok and sacked Adkins to much question and brought in Pochettino comes to mind as maybe something they want to replicate.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

on Bournemouth sacking Gary O'Neil is a utter bizarre decision and truly shocking decision. He did a great job last season with them and keeping them up. deserve more respect and to keep his job

I wouldn't care that much if it did happen really. Chelsea now appear to have PIF business connections and are suddenly offloading their players for vastly inflated fees to Saudi Arabia. Someone with more knowledge than me might elaborate, but looks pretty dodgy to me. Then there are numerous other clubs owned by nation states; that alone isn't the issue, but when they're involved in extra-judicial murder and have appalling human rights abuse and a lack of free press on their watch then it really feels grubby that they've got their mitts all over the top level of our game. My attitude is indifference really as to whether these clubs decide to sod off, I certainly wouldn't miss a lot of them. 

One thing is for sure - a lot of the powers-that-be clamouring for the Super League don't care one iota about the fans. Yes, the fan backlash a year or so ago helped, but I feel they'd push for it if they thought it could be a financial success. They will probably keep manipulating the Champions League so it becomes a de-facto Super League anyway.

Fully agree with you on the O'Neill decision - he did great last year against the odds. There must be something behind the scenes, whether it's the link shared above or some disagreement with the board. They potted Parker pretty abruptly and didn't appreciate his public displeasure over transfers, so certainly seems they aren't averse to getting rid. 

Edit - seems they sacked him as they wanted this bloke more. Bournemouth: Cherries sack Gary O'Neil and appoint Andoni Iraola as new head coach on two-year deal - BBC Sport

Edited by smiller14

Reminds me a bit of when Southampton got rid of Nigel Adkins and brought in Pochettino. It worked out alright for them, but getting rid of a head coach that has just masterminded a fairly remarkable and comfortable premier league survival with games to spare is quite a bold move!

That said, it looks like a great appointment on paper.

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

No, J*B said repeatedly last season that he doesn’t want to go up.

Ah. Still kind of get it, if/when we do get back to the prem there will be a tinge of deflation thinking about VAR and watching players earning £10m a year

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do.

What you mean is fans of United, Chelsea, Arsenal et al, the Premier League and UEFA don't want it.

The PL and UEFA merely want to protect their revenue and those fans have benefited plenty over the last 25 years from the pseudo closed shop we already have. If they're collateral damage to a more fair and competitive pyramid then those clubs can't go soon enough for me.

The ESL will need pockets four times deeper than they have now plus brilliant lawyers and huge patience and determination to even make it a 50/50 possibility sometime this decade.

Outside the PL, Real  Barca and Juve (except for points deductions for corruption) plus other wannabe ESL clubs are permanently camped in the Champions league so the need for an ESL is pretty academic in football if not $ terms.

And would Newcastle Saudi have accepted exclusion to the benefit of 43 points Chelsea this season?

Edited by philipl

11 minutes ago, XLM said:

I do.

What you mean is fans of United, Chelsea, Arsenal et al, the Premier League and UEFA don't want it.

The PL and UEFA merely want to protect their revenue and those fans have benefited plenty over the last 25 years from the pseudo closed shop we already have. If they're collateral damage to a more fair and competitive pyramid then those clubs can't go soon enough for me.

I don't want it either. 

The PL is the best football competition in the world. simple as. 

Plus by law they can't make it happen. Look at the backlash last time it was mentioned. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal fans made their feelings well know. Guardiola and Klopp are against it

A super league would be boring always. We already have Champions league and other UEFA club competitions which I have problems with which I won't go into

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't want it either. 

The PL is the best football competition in the world. simple as. 

Plus by law they can't make it happen. Look at the backlash last time it was mentioned. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal fans made their feelings well know. Guardiola and Klopp are against it

A super league would be boring always. We already have Champions league and other UEFA club competitions which I have problems with which I won't go into

With the changes being made in the Champions League it will be a Super League in all but name.