BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't want it either. 

The PL is the best football competition in the world. simple as. 

Plus by law they can't make it happen. Look at the backlash last time it was mentioned. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal fans made their feelings well know. Guardiola and Klopp are against it

A super league would be boring always. We already have Champions league and other UEFA club competitions which I have problems with which I won't go into

Competition? If you say so. The fact that only 9 different clubs have finished in the top 4 since England got a fourth Champions League spot 22 years ago would say that word isn't the best choice.

Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City and Liverpool account for nearly 90% of all top 4 finished in getting on for a quarter of a century. The system is beyond broken in terms of "competitiveness".

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, XLM said:

Competition? If you say so. The fact that only 9 different clubs have finished in the top 4 since England got a fourth Champions League spot 22 years ago would say that word isn't the best choice.

Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City and Liverpool account for nearly 90% of all top 4 finished in getting on for a quarter of a century. The system is beyond broken in terms of "competitiveness".

and you think its any better in Spain or Germany or Holland. Its ain't. 

I don't believe the system at all but is very enjoyable watch 

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and you think its any better in Spain or Germany or Holland. Its ain't. 

I don't believe the system at all but is very enjoyable watch 

Maybe it would be better for everyone if the teams that dominate those leagues join the ones that dominate ours for a breakout league in the middle east then?

I thought that this deal was a bit off; BBC: Ruben Neves leaves Wolves for Saudi Arabia

If reports are true Neves is going to be loaned to Newcastle for 2 years.

I mentioned this on here not too long ago. There is nothing stopping the Saudis buying whoever they want for their PIF owned Saudi teams and sending them all to their Prem team. All the while costing Newcastle absolutely nothing.

What's the Geordie defence on this one? 

• Like 3

City seemingly close to signing Kovacic and Rice it seems.

The Kovacic one makes sense in that you can see him just filling in for Gundogan who is leaving, albeit maybe not quite as effective.

I wonder where Rice will play. They play 3 centre backs and 2 holding midfielders, one who is Rodri and one who is Stones, both very good on the ball. Will Rice dislodge Stones because I am not convinced he is that type of player, or play where Gundogan did next to De Bruyne? 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

City seemingly close to signing Kovacic and Rice it seems.

The Kovacic one makes sense in that you can see him just filling in for Gundogan who is leaving, albeit maybe not quite as effective.

I wonder where Rice will play. They play 3 centre backs and 2 holding midfielders, one who is Rodri and one who is Stones, both very good on the ball. Will Rice dislodge Stones because I am not convinced he is that type of player, or play where Gundogan did next to De Bruyne? 

Rice will start as a defensive midfielder for a few months, but his minutes will slowly tail off and he will then be slotted in next to, or replacing, Kalvin Phillips.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DanLad said:

Rice will start as a defensive midfielder for a few months, but his minutes will slowly tail off and he will then be slotted in next to, or replacing, Kalvin Phillips.

Phillips is supposed to be on his way out of City. They’re also trying to sign Guardivol. He’s going to be a top player in the future.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Phillips is supposed to be on his way out of City.

And this is the answer to the hypothetical question, I wonder what will be happening with Declan Rice in 2 to 3 seasons?

Rice is a level or two up from Phillips who is not a top player by any means. But just in terms of how he plays, it would be interesting to see how and where he fits in at such a great side who have a very specific way of playing. Their most defensive 2 midfielders need to be great on the ball, the more attacking 2 need to be really good in the final third.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 13:30, chaddyrovers said:

The Euro Super league won't happening and neither should it. Fans don't want. 

on Bournemouth sacking Gary O'Neil is a utter bizarre decision and truly shocking decision. He did a great job last season with them and keeping them up. deserve more respect and to keep his job

I think fans are coming round to the idea. I don’t know about you, but City winning the treble completely passed me by. It’s boring, they have unlimited resources and they’ve used them to win the biggest prize. How long until Newcastle and Man utd join them in being head and shoulders above the rest of the prem? Much as I hate to admit it, it was genuinely exciting when Utd won the treble. Arsenal going a season unbeaten was an amazing achievement but how long until one of the state-owned clubs does it again? The genie is out of the bottle and for a neutral (well me, anyway) top level football has become boring.

Edit: So I think separating the clubs with huge resources from the rest would be a good idea. Let the Harlem globetrotters play each other every week and allow the real fans to enjoy competitive and unpredictable football again. The championship is actually an incredibly entertaining league, purely because anyone can beat anyone as each team has similar resources. Man city’s wage bill is probably equal to most of the rest of the premier league. It’s obscene and not sustainable. 

On 19/06/2023 at 18:05, chaddyrovers said:

I don't want it either. 

The PL is the best football competition in the world. simple as. 

Plus by law they can't make it happen. Look at the backlash last time it was mentioned. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal fans made their feelings well know. Guardiola and Klopp are against it

A super league would be boring always. We already have Champions league and other UEFA club competitions which I have problems with which I won't go into

On 19/06/2023 at 20:53, Blow-in said:

I assume you mean club competition?

The world cup was immensely entertaining.

Nailed it. The only football I ever watch on tv is Rovers except for the last WC which I became completely obsessed with. There was so much at stake, the competition meant so much, all the teams had an equal chance, it was unreal. The contrast with the vastly unequal nature of club football couldn’t be more stark. 

Edited by The Hypnotic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Phillips is supposed to be on his way out of City. They’re also trying to sign Guardivol. He’s going to be a top player in the future.

Gvardiol was the standout defender at the WC for me, incredibly composed as well as naturally gifted. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I think fans are coming round to the idea. I don’t know about you, but City winning the treble completely passed me by. It’s boring, they have unlimited resources and they’ve used them to win the biggest prize. How long until Newcastle and Man utd join them in being head and shoulders above the rest of the prem? Much as I hate to admit it, it was genuinely exciting when Utd won the treble. Arsenal going a season unbeaten was an amazing achievement but how long until one of the state-owned clubs does it again? The genie is out of the bottle and for a neutral (well me, anyway) top level football has become boring.

Edit: So I think separating the clubs with huge resources from the rest would be a good idea. Let the Harlem globetrotters play each other every week and allow the real fans to enjoy competitive and unpredictable football again. The championship is actually an incredibly entertaining league, purely because anyone can beat anyone as each team has similar resources. Man city’s wage bill is probably equal to most of the rest of the premier league. It’s obscene and not sustainable. 

Nailed it. The only football I ever watch on tv is Rovers except for the last WC which I became completely obsessed with. There was so much at stake, the competition meant so much, all the teams had an equal chance, it was unreal. The contrast with the vastly unequal nature of club football couldn’t be more stark. 

Man City’s wage bill is (if you believe their accounts ) lower than Man Utd’s and Liverpool’s.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Edit: So I think separating the clubs with huge resources from the rest would be a good idea. Let the Harlem globetrotters play each other every week and allow the real fans to enjoy competitive and unpredictable football again. The championship is actually an incredibly entertaining league, purely because anyone can beat anyone as each team has similar resources. Man city’s wage bill is probably equal to most of the rest of the premier league. It’s obscene and not sustainable. 

The problem I have with this is how long before Leeds, villa etc become the dominant ones of the teams left after the super league is formed. I agree with a lot of what you say but with the money involved throughout the game it would only be a matter of time before another top two, then four, then six formed

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Man City’s wage bill is (if you believe their accounts ) lower than Man Utd’s.

I stand corrected, Chelsea also have a higher wage bill. I still believe the gap between the top and bottom clubs is too large though, and creates an uncompetitive league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The problem I have with this is how long before Leeds, villa etc become the dominant ones of the teams left after the super league is formed. I agree with a lot of what you say but with the money involved throughout the game it would only be a matter of time before another top two, then four, then six formed

True, the cycle would probably just repeat itself. The ideal solution would be for a system similar to American football where every team gets a pick at the top players. I believe the NFL is very competitive with different winners every year. But I can’t see that happening after the big boys have spent billions on clubs that are used for sports washing and PR. 

1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

I think fans are coming round to the idea. I don’t know about you, but City winning the treble completely passed me by. It’s boring, they have unlimited resources and they’ve used them to win the biggest prize.

I watched the City treble as I thought they deserved it. Pep is a great manager. 

Not sure about any fans coming around the idea

How long until Newcastle and Man utd join them in being head and shoulders above the rest of the prem? Much as I hate to admit it, it was genuinely exciting when Utd won the treble. Arsenal going a season unbeaten was an amazing achievement but how long until one of the state-owned clubs does it again? The genie is out of the bottle and for a neutral (well me, anyway) top level football has become boring.

Firstly, I don't find the PL boring at all. Very exciting and enjoyable. 

Teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea will always compete with those 2 clubs. You can have all the money you want but if you don't buy the right players, have a proper footballing plan and right people in the Sporting Director and head coach roles you won't achieve anything like Everton being a prime example. 

not for me, keep the English teams playing in the PL and keep making PL the best league in the world 

There’s a really good article in my paper today regarding the new Bournemouth manager. Referring to his previous team Rayo - 

“ Unlike the typical small promoted team, Rayo did not park the bus. They took it on a ride and it was wild. “ He doesn’t want the game to be under control, he wants things to happen “ says their midfielder Mario Suarez. “ Rob in the oppositions half, be direct, open the pitch, get into the area “

” Organised chaos may be one way of putting it and it’s a description Iraola likes. In fact , he says “ I prefer too much chaos to too much organisation. I prefer to play at a high pace, even if that means a touch of hastiness, than play at a slower pace and have a bit more control “ Only one side won the ball more in La Liga last year; only one side lost it more. “

” Iraola talks about “ volume “ As Alvaro Garcia puts it ; “ If there are lots of crosses, lots of people arriving in the area, lots of attacks …..if there are three crosses in the same move, one will come off, it’s a matter of time “.

Sounds like the football I grew up with. Death to “ Keep Ball “.  It’s be interesting to see how he goes on at Bournemouth. “ Three crosses “ , that’s about our ration for a whole game. “ Lots of people arriving in the area “. He’s playing my song.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1