BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Was this not all around the same time he rejected a new contract and put in a transfer request?

It was. He rejected a new deal a day before the Cardiff game, according to the link below, and signed for Brighton a week later. Another tosser in a long line of them to have turned up here under this regime.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/shane-duffy-has-completed-a-transfer-away-from-blackburn-rovers-92936

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It was. He rejected a new deal a day before the Cardiff game, according to the link below, and signed for Brighton a week later. Another tosser in a long line of them to have turned up here under this regime.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/shane-duffy-has-completed-a-transfer-away-from-blackburn-rovers-92936

Imagine doing something like that with Souness in charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Imagine doing something like that with Souness in charge.

I don't think he would be able to kick a ball again.

These pricks wouldn't dare do that under a real setup and manager. They only took the piss here due to absent leadership and the easy street culture.

On the football side of things, that appears to be changing now, thankfully.

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

I don't think he would be able to kick a ball again.

These pricks wouldn't dare do that under a real setup and manager. They only took the piss here due to absent leadership and the easy street culture.

On the football side of things, that appears to be changing now, thankfully.

I don't think betting offences necessarily reflect the club the player is at. Toney continued betting after he joined Brentford and nobody would call that a club without a real setup and manager.

54 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't think betting offences necessarily reflect the club the player is at. Toney continued betting after he joined Brentford and nobody would call that a club without a real setup and manager.

I agree with that. However, I wasn't looking at the Duffy situation from a betting angle. I don't know if anything like that was at play, or even if anything came out later on about him in that regard.

I'm looking at it and wondering whether it was a case of 'let me leave or else I'll be a prick' about that night.

That's based on how his performance looked, the fact that he wanted out and that he rejected a new deal only a day before the game. It didn't look or feel right and still doesn't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Upside Down said:

You can bet on anything anywhere. Like JBiz says, inside information can be valuable to the person placing the bet.

Just out of curiosity what did Shane Duffy do?

15 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Scored two own goals and got sent off in the same game for Rovers away at Cardiff in 2016. We lost 2-1.

Make your own mind up after seeing it:

What's sometimes forgotten is that he also scored an own goal in the previous game against Wigan, Google tells me the 63rd minute. His 2 own goals were scored in the first 20 minutes of the Cardiff game. That means he scored 3 own goals in approximately 50 minutes of football. And then got sent off about 70 minutes later (not too long after we had got back into the game with a goal).

Got to be some kind of record. And not long after telling us he wanted to leave the club even though our asking price wasn't being met. If it wasn't involvement in some sort of betting ring, it was an attempt to force the club to sell him. My guess is both - wanted to force us to sell, and thought he'd make some money at the same time. But this could just be because I hate the bastard for what he did. I'd quite liked him up until then too.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

What's sometimes forgotten is that he also scored an own goal in the previous game against Wigan, Google tells me the 63rd minute. His 2 own goals were scored in the first 20 minutes of the Cardiff game. That means he scored 3 own goals in approximately 50 minutes of football. And then got sent off about 70 minutes later (not too long after we had got back into the game with a goal).

Got to be some kind of record. And not long after telling us he wanted to leave the club even though our asking price wasn't being met. If it wasn't involvement in some sort of betting ring, it was an attempt to force the club to sell him. My guess is both - wanted to force us to sell, and thought he'd make some money at the same time. But this could just be because I hate the bastard for what he did. I'd quite liked him up until then too.

A decent manager would have just frozen him out completely until the end of his contract. Ban him from training and make him sit at home.

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I had forgotten about the Wigan own goal. That only reinforces my opinion that he was trying his best to force his way out.

We've seen unhappy players force moves at other clubs before, so most of us know what that can look like. I've not seen something like that, though.

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

A decent manager would have just frozen him out completely until the end of his contract. Ban him from training and make him sit at home.

This is what I mean by it wouldn't happen under a real manager and a real setup. We had neither.

Our setup at the time was, imo, ridiculous. Weak, no accountability, distant owners who were hesitant in making decisions. Players knew it. Agents knew it. Duffy probably knew it too. That kind of brass neck only appears in that kind of environment, imo.

Coyle in the dugout. How seriously are the players taking a guy intent on 5 a side games in training, rewarding them with doughnuts, and telling them he's the best striker at the club? (even if jokingly)

A couple of our former players were laughing their backsides off at Coyle and his methods on Under The Cosh not so long ago, which points towards the respect he was held in.

We also had Cheston, a numbers man, being tasked with allsorts above the manager. He was even being wheeled out at meetings with the fans. To be fair to him, he had a brilliant manager lined up for us, but his pick was seemingly bypassed for Coyle to come in instead.

How likely was it for Cheston to take Duffy to task, if, hypothetically, it was a deliberate chain of events?

The prick got his move to Brighton a week later and it was all seemingly forgotten about. Not all of us have forgot about it though.

He is in the Orr, Best and Stokes bracket for me.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'd forgotten about the Wigan game. 

He also scored the winning goal in the game after Cardiff (his last game for the club) in extra time.

Presumably he hadn't noticed they'd switched ends at full time.

On 04/07/2023 at 12:55, LeftWinger said:

Who would pay for our line-up 10 minutes before it was released? Just interested into what benefit someone gain from the information.

Just like jbiz said - helps because the prices will change once it becomes public knowledge. You can have a profit sorted before kick off with information like that.

PL games without doubt. Would be very lucrative on the Betfair exchange if you had insider knowledge of team selection/injuries before they are announced.

But is there much liquidity on the exchanges for (non televised) EFL games?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

PL games without doubt. Would be very lucrative on the Betfair exchange if you had insider knowledge of team selection/injuries before they are announced.

But is there much liquidity on the exchanges for (non televised) EFL games?

Doesn’t need to be betfair but I know your point. Plenty of firms you can get on with where the asian line will soon change if you know enough and you can lock in a profit before kick off. All relative to the stake end of day. 

Either way it’s really good info whatever you want to do with it. I know  I would want it. 

Really glad we don't have to watch players like this anymore... and it all comes down to who's in charge. A decent manager would have recognised Duffy shouldn't have been anywhere near the team that day.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2023 at 00:02, SuperBrfc said:

.... .... .... .... .... .... 

The prick got his move to Brighton a week later and it was all seemingly forgotten about. Not all of us have forgot about it though.

He is in the Orr, Best and Stokes bracket for me.

We bear grudges; and rightly so in cases like this one. Those two goals in the one game were so far out of order as to be almost unbelievable.

If I remember rightly, weren't they early in the season? (Far too late at night for this old beggar to check.) I seem to recall thinking that, if he'd got them at the other end, those three goals would have made him top scorer in the Division.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

We bear grudges; and rightly so in cases like this one. Those two goals in the one game were so far out of order as to be almost unbelievable.

If I remember rightly, weren't they early in the season? (Far too late at night for this old beggar to check.) I seem to recall thinking that, if he'd got them at the other end, those three goals would have made him top scorer in the Division.

I know some fans like to say "let's move on and look forward", which is their right to do so, but there are many things that have happened under these owners that are difficult to forget or 'move on' from for others. This Duffy scenario being just one of them.

Yes, you're right. The three own goals came very early on. In the second and third games of the season, respectively.

I'm glad such players are no longer arriving at the club. We may have buttons to play with in terms of transfers, but JDT and GB seem the sort who won't allow wasters to join the playing squad.

• Like 2