BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

This is brilliant marketing

48 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

the US women's team got mauled by a team comprised of a retired and 40+ Year old Lee Trundle. I'm all for promoting the women's game but I'm getting tired of it getting shoved down my throat that they're on the same level. 

Pretty much.

I used to live across the road from the Etihad Stadium (in the old athletes accommodation for the Commonwealth Games). I'd pop over to the Academy stadium to watch the City women play if I had a free weekend - it's when they had Bronze, Christensen, Beattie, Bardsley etc - a veritable who's who. It was enjoyable for what it was, but it was worse than men's non-league standard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

the US women's team got mauled by a team comprised of a retired and 40+ Year old Lee Trundle. I'm all for promoting the women's game but I'm getting tired of it getting shoved down my throat that they're on the same level. 

This is fake news. Read more here: https://www.sportsmanor.com/soccer-news-the-truth-behind-us-womens-teams-12-0-defeat-to-wrexham-red-dragons/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Womens football really is poor,

What did you expect?  Women's and man's football is incomparable so your comment is a bit crap. 

The last 2 women's world cups plus England's women winning the European championship was definitely worth a watch if you are patriotic. Just look at the attendances. 

If I was you I just wouldn't watch it as its obviously wasted on you as an entertainment. 

That said, if Ronaldo, Messi et Al had a pair of tits you would no doubt enjoy it more. 

Silly debate imho. Let the girls get on with it without slagging them off. 

• Like 2

Not really fair to question the quality of defending - what's the saying about you can't pick who you play against and still have to take the chances? If Rovers men, or any men's side, hit a handsome scoreline, do people celebrate it and enjoy it or write it off due to the level of opposition? Do we reject Ronaldo and messi's international goal records as half their tallied are against minnows?

The video is ultimately promoting some good goals and asking viewers to support the women's team and watch them. Is that really so bad and offensive? I agree the overall women's game isn't as enjoyable and it suffers from a lack of many quality teams. It's not as athletic and it particularly tells with the some of the keepers and the height. When the elite teams play each other it's reasonable enough to watch and enjoy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I'm all for promoting the women's game but I'm getting tired of it getting shoved down my throat that they're on the same level. 

I agree. Its not just football either cricket is going big on it. I can see why from a marketing point of view they look to tag it on to a man’s game because from a quality point of view women’s sport is just a little bit shit. They’re in a tough spot really they need to make comparisons with men’s sport to sustain interest in it but by doing that it will naturally draw direct comparisons, the most ludicrous one seen recently a list of Englands all time goal scorers combining genders. 🤷‍♂️. Frankly the gals national side would be lower non league tiers

Edited by matt83

The posters should read through the misogynistic comments they’ve wrote. I have two young granddaughters that I will encourage to take up sport. Just because some sports have been the preserve of men doesn’t mean that watching and encouraging women to play them isn’t enjoyable. Women aren’t as fast as men so athletics/tennis should be just male. They can’t swim as fast so why should they learn to swim? There are some really pathetic comments on this thread.

• Like 1

Womens football has real potential if:

They reduce the goal sizes to emulate the average women gk size, compared an average male gk size

Reduce the pitch sizes to emulate womens cardiovascular output compared to mens.

i believe if they made smaller nets, and cut 10-15% off the pitch, it would be far more entertaining.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

The posters should read through the misogynistic comments they’ve wrote. I have two young granddaughters that I will encourage to take up sport. Just because some sports have been the preserve of men doesn’t mean that watching and encouraging women to play them isn’t enjoyable. Women aren’t as fast as men so athletics/tennis should be just male. They can’t swim as fast so why should they learn to swim? There are some really pathetic comments on this thread.

1. Criticising the standard of women’s football isn’t misogynistic.

2. No one has said women shouldn’t play sports.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

1. Criticising the standard of women’s football isn’t misogynistic.

2. No one has said women shouldn’t play sports.

Yes it is, they are making direct comparisons between women’s football and men’s. Men are good, women are bad.

if we don’t support them interest will fall off and we can go back to clubs only catering for “real football” played by men. Comparisons between the two games only breeds ridicule. Do these posters compare men and women in other sports, tennis, swimming, athletics? Women’s football is about 22 women competing and the excitement and drama is still there.

Women’s football is now heavily marketed and given a lot of prominence in the media, England are European champions… so why is it still that only one man and his dog are going to WSL games (and it’s very cheap too)?

Maybe I’m a misogynist too, but in reality I’m a crowd obsessive as you lot obviously will have spotted! So I’m intrigued to why the club game isn’t taking off?

Edited by Mattyblue

8 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

Yes it is, they are making direct comparisons between women’s football and men’s. Men are good, women are bad.

if we don’t support them interest will fall off and we can go back to clubs only catering for “real football” played by men. Comparisons between the two games only breeds ridicule. Do these posters compare men and women in other sports, tennis, swimming, athletics? Women’s football is about 22 women competing and the excitement and drama is still there.

Regarding your first point, if someone says women are better at something than men is that automatically misandry?

On your second point, I enjoy watching women’s football and agree with the need to support its development.

In terms of excitement and drama, I see it as being the same as men’s football in the sense that some matches are better than others.

In terms of quality, I think this has improved vastly over the last decade, in my opinion the one area where it hasn’t improved as much is in the goalkeeping department. 

One thing I particularly like is how there’s far less play acting and berating of the officials - I hope this doesn’t change as the game (hopefully) grows and the money ‘at stake’ becomes bigger.

Edited by wilsdenrover

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Women’s football is now heavily marketed and given a lot of prominence in the media, England are European champions… so why is it still that only one man and his dog are going to WSL games (and it’s very cheap too)?

Maybe I’m a misogynist too, but in reality I’m a crowd obsessive as you lot obviously will have spotted! So I’m intrigued to why the club game isn’t taking off?

Whilst the absolute numbers are still low, the average attendance in the WSL more than trebled (I think!) last season. 

The direct comparison by the media where they equate the women's game to the men's is actually quite detrimental to the women's game.

They aren't the same and will never be the same. That doesn't mean that the women's game is inferior to the men's it simply means that it is different.

When the two are put on the same level it is inviting criticism and derision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Whilst the absolute numbers are still low, the average attendance in the WSL more than trebled (I think!) last season. 

Isn’t that skewed by those big one off crowds where they market the hell out of it make it a quid entry etc at the men’s ground?

All conquering Chelsea get around 2/3k for most home games, other WSL clubs in the hundreds, very low considering the profile of the game these days. Shows that the club game hasn’t particularly taken off, maybe a WC win will change that.

Edited by Mattyblue

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Isn’t that skewed by those big one off crowds where they market the hell out of it make it a quid entry etc at the men’s ground?

All conquering Chelsea get around 2/3k for most home games, other WSL clubs in the hundreds, very low considering the profile of the game these days. Shows that the club game hasn’t particularly taken off, maybe a WC win will change that.

I think you’re right in that the lower an ‘usual’ gate is the more the average gate will be affected by the occasional much larger attendance.

I guess they’ll only be able to grow the regular attendances if they can work out (and find a solution for) why those who form the big crowds don’t then return more regularly.

I haven’t been able to find out, but I’d be interested in knowing, what the average WSL is in terms of ground capacities.