BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why can't we win when we go 1-0 down?

• Backroom

Has to be a mentality thing that exists within the numerous players still left over from the Mowbray era, where this issue began. If JDT hasn't been able to coach it out of them after a year plus then it probably requires a lot of them being replaced. How we do that with little to no budget and stay competitive is anyone's guess. 

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Because nobody can consistently put the ball in the back of the opposition's net.

Not going to argue with the general point,  but we still weren’t coming back from behind to win when Brereton was scoring regularly (save for the referenced Millwall game of course).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

It’s because we have no one with mental strength or any older players with the required “experience”. It’s all “kids”.

we need some players who have this. Give Tony his due, he did always bring an “older” head in to help the younger players.

• Like 1

Perhaps it’s not just a Rovers thing. I’m not too sure how many bookmakers offer odds on this, but William Hill do. I just checked and for Ipswich to score first on Saturday and Rovers to win, it is 14/1. Just to check the same thing on another game, I tried Norwich to score first and Plymouth to win, which is 12/1 and the same odds apply to Preston to score first and WBA to win. Find a double like that and a £1 stake would return £170 so it’s probably a rare event at most clubs. 

Edited by lraC

22 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

It’s because we have no one with mental strength or any older players with the required “experience”. It’s all “kids”.

we need some players who have this. Give Tony his due, he did always bring an “older” head in to help the younger players.

This isn't a Tomasson or even Broughton choice though. It's a directive from Venky's, and that's from someone at the club.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This isn't a Tomasson or even Broughton choice though. It's a directive from Venky's, and that's from someone at the club.

So the directive is, we are not allowed to play/buy players above a certain age?

13 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Under JDT (who I really like btw) we just cannot come back and win or even draw once we go 1-0 down.  Its happened so many times that its obviously not a coincidence. What is the reasons?

For me its no senior players.  No old dog for the hard road.

Based on the odds, I have pasted below and taking a snapshot of our games, since Millwall last season. We were behind in that and won (granted it didn’t matter in the end) and we were behind at Rotherham and drew. That’s two in the last 8 where we didn’t lose after conceding first.

I’m not trying to defend our record, but if the odds are around 14/1 then it’s going to happen 3 times each season.

Statisical analysis, shows it’s not a common occurrence in football. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
54 minutes ago, lraC said:

Perhaps it’s not just a Rovers thing. I’m not too sure how many bookmakers offer odds on this, but William Hill do. I just checked and for Ipswich to score first on Saturday and Rovers to win, it is 14/1. Just to check the same thing on another game, I tried Norwich to score first and Plymouth to win, which is 12/1 and the same odds apply to Preston to score first and WBA to win. Find a double like that and a £1 stake would return £170 so it’s probably a rare event at most clubs. 

There was a stat posted by someone last year which showed we were overall the worst at coming from behind to gain points, by some distance, over something like the past 3 years across the entire EFL. Whilst it may not be common, we're still on the extreme end of the scale.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DE. said:

There was a stat posted by someone last year which showed we were overall the worst at coming from behind to gain points, by some distance, over something like the past 3 years across the entire EFL. Whilst it may not be common, we're still on the extreme end of the scale.

I suspect the same might apply to us going ahead too. I can’t remember when we last lost, after going ahead. 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, lraC said:

I suspect the same might apply to us going ahead too. I can’t remember when we last lost, after going ahead. 

When Hull beat us on August 19th.

In general though you might be right, it'd be interesting to see the stats for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I remember the 07/08 Mark Hughes side - didn't know when it was beaten that team. 

Got 23 points in games where they'd fallen behind. 

Some real leaders in that team - particularly at the back. 

image.thumb.png.873b8b4766098fcf7144bd7243b3602e.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE. said:

When Hull beat us on August 19th.

In general though you might be right, it'd be interesting to see the stats for that.

I forgot about that one.

I wonder if it happened at all last season, as I don't remember one.

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I remember the 07/08 Mark Hughes side - didn't know when it was beaten that team. 

Got 23 points in games where they'd fallen behind. 

Some real leaders in that team - particularly at the back. 

image.thumb.png.873b8b4766098fcf7144bd7243b3602e.png

Interesting that as that is 43 wins in the whole division out of 380 games. It bears out what I posted about it being fairly rare.

Edited by lraC
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pretty much - nobody without resale value is what I was told.

I guess that compounds the situation with cost cutting and reducing the wage bill.

It's a same they don't put an age limit on CEO's and boot the current one out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lraC said:

We lost after being ahead 3 times in 55 games last season. Sunderland and Boro in the league - Sheffield United in the FA Cup.

We seemed to lose few points from winning positions and win few points from losing positions last season.

Sign of a brittle mentality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This isn’t just a Tomasson’s Rovers issue. It’s been going on for years. 

Once we’re behind it’s pretty much lights out. How we came from behind against Millwall to win when it didn’t matter said a lot about our mentality.

Definitely a mentality that had its roots in the Mowbray era, not a JDT thing.

But we didn't know it didn't matter against Millwall until it was over. If anything that was the biggest pressure game of the season.