BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) - 24/10/2023

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

Yes if criticised constructively, but clearly it was unbalanced & went too far, to the point where it affected his confidence and it became an uncontrollable downward spiral for him.

I'm not saying it was any comments on here that got to Dolan as he himself has, to my knowledge, only referred to twitter / X as being the source of his concern, where personal criticism is probably even more vitriolic (I'm not on it, or famous, so don't know). But even on here during his poor run folk were stating that he can't pass /shoot /dribble /cross /tackle /track back. They questioned his very basic abilities as a professional footballer.

Clearly he can do those things, he has done ever since we signed him, but he can't do them consistently or when low on form/confidence, because he's human & still only 21.

So yes he was "fair game" for constructive criticism, but not for the unbalanced deluge of abuse he got, imo. Maybe some will call him (or me!) a snowflake for this opinion, but it cant be easy for a young lad like him, who's only ever known football & has been through some significant tragedy in his short life (which in itself was connected to his friend's own sense of self worth), to read what's been said about him & be able just to shrug it off.

The problem on platforms like that is that the very vocal and terrible minority can directly message him. I dont see any benefit to footballers being on twitter personally.

But his performances down to the very basic level over a lengthy period of time were terrible.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The problem on platforms like that is that the very vocal and terrible minority can directly message him. I dont see any benefit to footballers being on twitter personally.

But his performances down to the very basic level over a lengthy period of time were terrible.

Can't disagree with you on the first bit., certainly.

On the second bit yes, they were below what even he would have considered acceptable, but it's about having some perspective &, ultimately, compassion & consideration for the individual.

He does, and it's great to see him starting to flourish again because I think he is quite a unique player and, when on song, an absolute nightmare for defenders.

As is often the case with players of his type, confidence is a massive part of his makeup as a player because his game is instinctive (as it is with strikers & goalkeepers also), so it's important he does what works for him to rebuild & maintain that confidence.  It's easy for a defender, for example, just to hoof it when low on confidence, not so for a tricky, diminutive figure like him.

Mods - I realise I've taken this off topic, so will put this post in the Dolan thread also. Hope that's ok.