BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (h) 23/12/23

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

Leonard is young and raw, but jeez did you see the 45 from Ennis? We’ve been crying out for a number 9 for years. I’ve seen better ball control in the national league north 

What I am saying is actually in defence of Leonard, it's not his fault he is featuring as much, would do well on loan lower down the league and could be the making of him. Haven't given up on him yet. I was one of those judging Ennis before he kicked a ball, I was right, he was never going to be good enough at this level and was happy to put my neck on the line with that even though it seems to massively offend people when you don't back every signing to the hilt and then only praise them once they are here.

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You seem very keen to berate the fans today. Wahlstedt made 2 errors that cost us 3 points. Thus on an internet messageboard that he wont see, he is getting criticised for that. No one has said that he did it on purpose. It has no effect on him. But he did fuck up twice and it cost us the points.

Sometimes Leonard is totally anonymous, hes a young lad who has played more than he should this season at this level due to a lack of money. 

If saying that on here is beating the players down and it questions the status of their support, then I suspect you have the thinnest of skin and/or zero counter argument in regards to their performance.

Why are you getting personal? No need to say I have thin skin and zero counter argument. What are you adding to the debate, there?

Wahlstedt made two mistakes today that cost us. I agree with that, and that's before I read the OTT stuff on here.

However, like Pears, Wahlstedt is a young keeper that is going to make mistakes but has potential, of which he actually showed for the most part of the game today when called upon. Coming to England will be a huge move for him, but he has shown signs that he's starting to settle and show what he can do, as evidenced in recent games. As with Pears, I'm prepared to cut him some slack. Instead, I've seen "rubbish keepers" and so on. Fantastic assessments.

I'm much older than these lads but I'm fairly sure there is more focus on them now than there would have been ten, twenty, or thirty years ago. If somebody was criticising you for your work on a public forum, I'm sure you'd acknowledge that this sort of thing has to be managed and dealt with in a way that doesn't beat you down, but that you have to accept that it exists. I don't think many of us can begin to imagine what that is like, even if we were paid well. There is nothing wrong with criticising - for example, saying that he could have pushed those shots to the side or whatever, but some on here dismiss him out of hand, which I think is wrong. He's 24 or 25. Criticising is one thing, but what I see is a down-beating that he's "no good" and so on. It's here in black and white.

Furthermore, a poster highlighted the polarity of a one-off turn-up saying "we're fucking A!" followed by "same old Rovers, always a let-down". Most of us who watch every Rovers game know that today was actually a good performance against a superior side, and we tried our best. I just do not care for supporters who turn up and expect things that we could produce 25 years ago. If they head off into the sunset, that's sad, but fine, you can't price them down to spend their Saturdays watching something they're clearly unimpressed with.

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I agree this squad need help in terms of signings like Full back, centre midfielder and attacking player who can either play wide or up front would be welcome additions to this squad

We didn't have a fit FB in the team today, and only Duru on the bench. Says it all really.

We haven't had a fit and in-form striker playing all season.

We don't have a Championship standard RW who's fit. 

I'd say the CM is the least of our worries.

We need a FB, RW and a striker in January as a minimum. 

59 minutes ago, superniko said:

Leonard is young and raw, but jeez did you see the 45 from Ennis? We’ve been crying out for a number 9 for years. I’ve seen better ball control in the national league north 

If it’s ball control you’re after you should have a word with my wife 😁😲

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I suppose there's the caveat that he's not match fit, but I've yet to see what Ennis offers. He looked every inch a League 1 plodder today. He couldn't hold up a corner shop with a rocket launcher, let alone the ball.

He’s way off the pace at the moment but I saw some physicality and endeavour. In my opinion, we looked more threatening with him on the pitch than Harry Leonard.

• Like 4

unlucky game today. we had about 8 players missing today and still put up a fight. we need a goalkeeper though what the hell is Leo doing punching the ball back into danger he needs to learn to catch the ball. i hope hedges and gallagher come back better and prove the difference to turn this inconsistency of the team around. we need to give telalovic a chance though he needs some experience otherwise when he comes on he will be useless. i hope we can do something in the january window to buy some depth into the squad. we also missed our super sammie today a lot with his clinical finishing. tronstad turning out to be a bargain my man of the match today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

We didn't have a fit FB in the team today, and only Duru on the bench. Says it all really.

I am as hurt as anyone with consistently getting turned over at home, especially when we have played well. Notwithstanding, I think JDT is a magician to have us where we are in this league and generally competing with teams with massive financial and squad depth advantage over us. If he had the same backing as Mowbray got, I am certain he would have us promoted.

Edited by Penwortham Blue
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If Hedges was fit he would be starting most games. 

I wouldn't mind Liam Cullen from Swansea who had a good game against us

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If Hedges was fit he would be starting most games. 

I wouldn't mind Liam Cullen from Swansea who had a good game against us

Yeah, I said a RW who's fit. Hedges would be starting most games as he's the best we've got, and I think he's a tidy footballer, but there's very little end product. We need better. 

It was a very quick getaway from Ewood and Mill Hill area today. Very little traffic relative to usual. But we had a big crowd. What' happening? That tells me the tickets went to the right place: fans and families local to the Blackburn area. Well done to all who helped organise the fans' takeover today. Let's hope we've got a plan to build upon it.

Shame about the result. JDT has built a playoff team. Without a playoff squad. KTF.

Edited by Tabula Rasa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We're not going up and we're not going down.

The season was over when the Summer Transfer Window slammed shut again without a First XI striker walking through the door.

Today was just like watching a car crash in slow motion - one we watch every week at the moment and one everyone around me in the Jack Walker saw coming.

We played Watford off the park, but they made 5 subs and changed the game with their energy. We made 2 planned subs for players returning from injury (Hyam / Ennis - Hill / Leonard)... and then our 3rd change was a bloke most of us can agree simply isn't up to this standard. 

Their GK was the clear MOTM btw - he made 3 absurd saves. 

Great summary. 

Hope next season we have a bigger squad...

8 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Gents,

Enjoyed my first visit to Ewood since 1988, courtesy of my Rovers supporting friend. I thought the Fanzone set up was excellent and great to briefly meet Miller11 & Herbie6590, the latter for the first time since 1981. For obvious reasons, I kept my usual allegiances quiet. I almost felt myself " going native ", when Rovers took an early lead, but quickly had a word with myself ..

Rovers were good value for their lead at half-time but, as others have said, the combination of tiredness of young players, and the  quality Watford had from the bench proved the difference. Both keepers made a belting save each, and I thought a draw would have been a fairer result. Before he tired, Adam Warton looked the standout player from both sides, you have a gem there ..

Salvation Army Band playing at half-time took me back years, a lovely touch and the sight of what was presumably a Granddaughter, arm in arm with an elderly Gent with a stick reminded me that, whatever the local rivalries, there is still far more that unites fans than divides them ..

Have a lovely Christmas, all, and best wishes for 2024 ... 

The first has definitely changed a lot, the question is whether the second has too??

30 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

So true 

Not that he provides lots of goals but where is Gally? No mention of him in a while. It's Dec and our striker signing from June has just made his first 60mins. 

10 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Gents,

Enjoyed my first visit to Ewood since 1988, courtesy of my Rovers supporting friend. I thought the Fanzone set up was excellent and great to briefly meet Miller11 & Herbie6590, the latter for the first time since 1981. For obvious reasons, I kept my usual allegiances quiet. I almost felt myself " going native ", when Rovers took an early lead, but quickly had a word with myself ..

Rovers were good value for their lead at half-time but, as others have said, the combination of tiredness of young players, and the  quality Watford had from the bench proved the difference. Both keepers made a belting save each, and I thought a draw would have been a fairer result. Before he tired, Adam Warton looked the standout player from both sides, you have a gem there ..

Salvation Army Band playing at half-time took me back years, a lovely touch and the sight of what was presumably a Granddaughter, arm in arm with an elderly Gent with a stick reminded me that, whatever the local rivalries, there is still far more that unites fans than divides them ..

Have a lovely Christmas, all, and best wishes for 2024 ... 

A scholar and a gentleman. All the best. 

24 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Why are you getting personal? No need to say I have thin skin and zero counter argument. What are you adding to the debate, there?

Wahlstedt made two mistakes today that cost us. I agree with that, and that's before I read the OTT stuff on here.

However, like Pears, Wahlstedt is a young keeper that is going to make mistakes but has potential, of which he actually showed for the most part of the game today when called upon. Coming to England will be a huge move for him, but he has shown signs that he's starting to settle and show what he can do, as evidenced in recent games. As with Pears, I'm prepared to cut him some slack. Instead, I've seen "rubbish keepers" and so on. Fantastic assessments.

I'm much older than these lads but I'm fairly sure there is more focus on them now than there would have been ten, twenty, or thirty years ago. If somebody was criticising you for your work on a public forum, I'm sure you'd acknowledge that this sort of thing has to be managed and dealt with in a way that doesn't beat you down, but that you have to accept that it exists. I don't think many of us can begin to imagine what that is like, even if we were paid well. There is nothing wrong with criticising - for example, saying that he could have pushed those shots to the side or whatever, but some on here dismiss him out of hand, which I think is wrong. He's 24 or 25. Criticising is one thing, but what I see is a down-beating that he's "no good" and so on. It's here in black and white.

Furthermore, a poster highlighted the polarity of a one-off turn-up saying "we're fucking A!" followed by "same old Rovers, always a let-down". Most of us who watch every Rovers game know that today was actually a good performance against a superior side, and we tried our best. I just do not care for supporters who turn up and expect things that we could produce 25 years ago. If they head off into the sunset, that's sad, but fine, you can't price them down to spend their Saturdays watching something they're clearly unimpressed with.

I just think you seem particularly and bizarrely focused on criticising the fans today.

This is a place just like talking down the pub and even if they are young, if they arent up to it one day (or in general) then they will receive criticism, and if they are (or if they are freaks of nature like Adam Wharton, what a joke he is) then they will be praised.

Its a difficult one because obviously people vent post game and I get that people will go over the top so I would concede that at times just after games people can lose perspective. But when young players are criticised, I think a lot of the frustration is not at the player themselves. Its at the club for making us overly reliant on them too early in their development. Leonard is a good example, he obviously has something about him and is a promising talent but clearly isnt ready to play week in week out for asupposedly ambitious Championship club. Wahlstedt is a different case, I get the point about settling but we have seen enough to see his strengths and also his weaknesses but the latter are recurring quite alot.

I dont get this "its not 1995" narrative youve built about early leavers and where this anger has come from. Ive never understood it or done it but it happens not just at Rovers and each game. I dont see the point in it, maybe its to avoid traffic or whatever, but I dont get why you think its an indictment on the players. The Shearer and Sutton stuff has come from nowhere. Fans pay huge amounts over the season and give up their time, again I dont see why youd leave early but attending shouldnt be like an obligation where you must stay for it all and even if they do leave, its money in the coffers and numbers on the gate, thats the main thing.

• Like 2

Just now, NeilInBristol said:

So true 

Not that he provides lots of goals but where is Gally? No mention of him in a while. It's Dec and our striker signing from June has just made his first 60mins. 

Gally's back in a couple of weeks apparently. We've missed him - not because he's a great striker, but because he's the best we've got at the club. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, superniko said:

I thought Ennis did well personally? I thought our control on the game started to slip once he went off as we couldn't hold onto the ball up front.

• Like 4

Killed once more by having no bench to change the direction of the game. Plus we knew before the game Hyam and Ennis would have to be subbed at around the hour mark. So we would have to shuffle the side at a crucial moment of the game. Their subs made our lads look like they were running backwards. Especially when they were running from midfield in the last half of the second half. We were taking it stood still, they were running. At the end we were tip tapping it around until we lost the ball, either in our own half or in theirs. Tip tap for a dozen passes in our last third then launch it long to nobody. Our ability to retain possession fell off a cliff at the end. Tiredness ? Probably.

The keeper ? Not for me. How long is Pears out for ?

Carter, did ok in a false position. My grandson said “ why didn’t we move Carter over when Hyam went off and play Hill at right back ? “ Good question. At least Carter was up to speed.

Hyam, played well considering.

Wharton, played well.

Travis, did manfully in a false position for him

Tronstad, did well in his usual measured way.

Wharton, our best player, class act, scored a terrific goal, limped off at the end.

Moran, a boy in a man’s game.

Garrett, got stuck in as per usual.

Ennis, at the moment a blunt instrument. Just a big lad. I’ll give him time but it’s not looking good at the moment.

Siggy, the lad isn’t a left winger. He’s wasted out there, he isn’t quick enough. He never beat the full back once. 

Subs

Hill, not at his best.

Leonard, see Moran.

Markanday, brought on for time added on, really JDT ?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BigBar said:

What I am saying is actually in defence of Leonard, it's not his fault he is featuring as much, would do well on loan lower down the league and could be the making of him. Haven't given up on him yet. I was one of those judging Ennis before he kicked a ball, I was right, he was never going to be good enough at this level and was happy to put my neck on the line with that even though it seems to massively offend people when you don't back every signing to the hilt and then only praise them once they are here.

Of course it’s not his fault. If Gally, Dolan and Hedges were fit he wouldn’t even be on the bench.