BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (h) 23/12/23

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Ennis controlled it further than I can kick it. He was poor. 

He won the ball several times off two centre halves and laid the ball off. When he went off Leonard just couldnt do anything like that.

We need a proven striker desperately, but my guess is Ennis will start the games when fit until Gallagher gets back.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I just think you seem particularly and bizarrely focused on criticising the fans today.

This is a place just like talking down the pub and even if they are young, if they arent up to it one day (or in general) then they will receive criticism, and if they are (or if they are freaks of nature like Adam Wharton, what a joke he is) then they will be praised.

Its a difficult one because obviously people vent post game and I get that people will go over the top so I would concede that at times just after games people can lose perspective. But when young players are criticised, I think a lot of the frustration is not at the player themselves. Its at the club for making us overly reliant on them too early in their development. Leonard is a good example, he obviously has something about him and is a promising talent but clearly isnt ready to play week in week out for asupposedly ambitious Championship club. Wahlstedt is a different case, I get the point about settling but we have seen enough to see his strengths and also his weaknesses but the latter are recurring quite alot.

I dont get this "its not 1995" narrative youve built about early leavers and where this anger has come from. Ive never understood it or done it but it happens not just at Rovers and each game. I dont see the point in it, maybe its to avoid traffic or whatever, but I dont get why you think its an indictment on the players. The Shearer and Sutton stuff has come from nowhere. Fans pay huge amounts over the season and give up their time, again I dont see why youd leave early but attending shouldnt be like an obligation where you must stay for it all and even if they do leave, its money in the coffers and numbers on the gate, thats the main thing.

When I used to do this (not every match!) it was entirely for this season.

Leaving just a few minutes early could cut 45 minutes off my drive home.

Only tended to do it on night matches where I had a early start for work the next day.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Killed once more by having no bench to change the direction of the game. Plus we knew before the game Hyam and Ennis would have to be subbed at around the hour mark. So we would have to shuffle the side at a crucial moment of the game. Their subs made our lads look like they were running backwards. Especially when they were running from midfield in the last half of the second half. We were taking it stood still, they were running. At the end we were tip tapping it around until we lost the ball, either in our own half or in theirs. Tip tap for a dozen passes in our last third then launch it long to nobody. Our ability to retain possession fell off a cliff at the end. Tiredness ? Probably.

The keeper ? Not for me. How long is Pears out for ?

Carter, did ok in a false position. My grandson said “ why didn’t we move Carter over when Hyam went off and play Hill at right back ? “ Good question. At least Carter was up to speed.

Hyam, played well considering.

Wharton, played well.

Travis, did manfully in a false position for him

Tronstad, did well in his usual measured way.

Wharton, our best player, class act, scored a terrific goal, limped off at the end.

Moran, a boy in a man’s game.

Garrett, got stuck in as per usual.

Ennis, at the moment a blunt instrument. Just a big lad. I’ll give him time but it’s not looking good at the moment.

Siggy, the lad isn’t a left winger. He’s wasted out there, he isn’t quick enough. He never beat the full back once. 

Subs

Hill, not at his best.

Leonard, see Moran.

Markanday, brought on for time added on, really JDT ?

Good summary. Agree with all. I really rate Garett too, think he has a good future with us but he needs experience ahead of him.

Just spotted this stat in the LT

"Rovers have now conceded 18 goals in the final 15 minutes of Championship matches this season, the most in the division."

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

He won the ball several times off two centre halves and laid the ball off. When he went off Leonard just couldnt do anything like that.

We need a proven striker desperately, but my guess is Ennis will start the games when fit until Gallagher gets back.

We need to get a goal threat from somewhere. This one up front isn’t the answer. Carry on like this and the better footballing teams will out football us and the ale house teams will out battle us. Maybe a move to 4-4-2 and be a bit more direct until we get a full compliment of players back.

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Wharton always looks like his limping, in the same way Duffer always used to walk round like he was knackered after 2 minutes. 

Nah, he got clattered just after Markanday came on. Took a knock to the knee. Hope it is not as bad as it looked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Good summary. Agree with all. I really rate Garett too, think he has a good future with us but he needs experience ahead of him.

Just spotted this stat in the LT

"Rovers have now conceded 18 goals in the final 15 minutes of Championship matches this season, the most in the division."

That’s a shocking stat - did it indicate how many points this has cost us?

Edited by wilsdenrover

7 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Wharton always looks like his limping, in the same way Duffer always used to walk round like he was knackered after 2 minutes. 

I always say young Adam walks like one of those long distance walkers in the Olympics, it's all in the hips. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need to get a goal threat from somewhere. This one up front isn’t the answer. Carry on like this and the better footballing teams will out football us and the ale house teams will out battle us. Maybe a move to 4-4-2 and be a bit more direct until we get a full compliment of players back.

I actually thought we did have two up top today - we played a diamond 442 I think with Sigurdsson alongside Ennis as forwards, with Moran the tip of the diamond in behind. In terms of getting into goal scoring positions it worked very well... But often we would have multiple touches close to or inside the opposition box but not actually get a shot away and then lose the ball....

We need someone who will just take the shot on.

• Like 1

I actually thought we did have two up top today - we played a diamond 442 I think with Sigurdsson alongside Ennis as forwards, with Moran the tip of the diamond in behind. In terms of getting into goal scoring positions it worked very well... But often we would have multiple touches close to or inside the opposition box but not actually get a shot away and then lose the ball....

Yeh agreed.

The big difference is we had zero from the bench. They brought on good subs for tired legs. We just got tired. We lacked experience to close the game out too. 

• Like 1

In the first half Siggy was out wide left more often than not. Right in front of me actually. I agree about us not having a pop. We were trying to score the perfect goal. They had a pop from distance twice and got lucky twice.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In the first half Siggy was out wide left more often than not. Right in front of me actually. I agree about us not having a pop. We were trying to score the perfect goal. They had a pop from distance twice and got lucky twice.

My mate came along for the first time in a while today. He said the same about us not shooting, and trying to score the perfect goal. Siggy and Moran were particularly guilty of it. We are short of a fast, direct winger.

• Like 3