BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

He is our only Championship standard. And he is Championship standard, he has proven it over a number of years. Certainly not a very good Championship striker or a prolific one and he never will be, but an average one.

Take points about his injury record, but even signing one striker this summer is a task, if we even have any money. Let Gallagher go and we need 2. Surely we have learnt this season that we need 2 players for each position.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is our only Championship standard. And he is Championship standard, he has proven it over a number of years. Certainly not a very good Championship striker or a prolific one and he never will be, but an average one.

Take points about his injury record, but even signing one striker this summer is a task, if we even have any money. Let Gallagher go and we need 2. Surely we have learnt this season that we need 2 players for each position.

He’s only championship standard when the guy playing alongside him is banging in the goals. His goal scoring record is nowhere near good enough.

• Like 1

The worry of letting Gallagher go isn't so much losing him as a player.

Rather it's the ability of Broughton to replace him with anything semi-decent. The evidence thus far tells us that we'd just end up with yet another dud.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s only championship standard when the guy playing alongside him is banging in the goals. His goal scoring record is nowhere near good enough.

Its bang average, maybe slightly below, a standard season when he plays a reasonable season is 8 or 9. Plus he gives us other parts to his game which maybe are helping the attacking players he plays with get the goal returns they have got.

Obviously there are other considerations noticeably wages and injury issues. But from a purely footballing position, unless we get 2 new competent strikers at this level as a minimum in the summer, which isnt easy under competent owners, then we need him.

On 03/04/2024 at 11:08, Mercer said:

Have a decent insight into Southampton from contacts I made whilst working for a spell down there.  Generally, fans seem to loathe Martin and haven't too many kind words to say about Wilcox!

This is 'soft lads' versus 'soft lads', 'bottlejobs' versus 'bottlejobs'.

Who will crumble first?

Think there will be goals galore.

Think Saints will win as they usually start matches well and when on song would tear our slow and static defence to pieces.  I see them racing into a 2 or 3 goal lead  with a the final score ending up 1-4 or 2-4. 

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Keep up the good work old chap. Always entertaining! 

Indeed. BRFCS's very own version of Lawro

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The worry of letting Gallagher go isn't so much losing him as a player.

Rather it's the ability of Broughton to replace him with anything semi-decent. The evidence thus far tells us that we'd just end up with yet another dud.

Should be relatively straightforward to find a willing player who'll put the graft in for the team and carry some kind of goal and assist threat.

Sadly they want wages of 10k pwk plus so it's a non starter he'll already be looking for the next Telalovic/Ennis but hoping this time one finally clicks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Should be relatively straightforward to find a willing player who'll put the graft in for the team and carry some kind of goal and assist threat.

Sadly they want wages of 10k pwk plus so it's a non starter he'll already be looking for the next Telalovic/Ennis but hoping this time one finally clicks.

Rumours are/were that Gally was on more than £10k per week.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rumours are/were that Gally was on more than £10k per week.

Yes at least 15k but any half decent half ready made replacement is going to want at least 10.

Broughton will be fishing in the 3k to 6k pwk dept.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t think Gally will be much of a loss to be honest. He’s not enough of a threat up front and he misses vital games through injury. If we can’t do better than that with the wages he’s reputedly on we need a change of scouts.

I didn't realise we had scouts anymore, I thought we just had a ring round the old boys network on the last day to see whatever shyte was still available then sign them up. All with a healthy agents commission of course.

On 06/04/2024 at 18:40, Exiled_Rover said:

Agreed, I'm a big fan of JDT, but we were down if he stayed. 

The QPR game was the final straw for me - he was just being arrogant and stubborn and refusing to adjust his tactics for the squad of players he had available and sadly he'd lost the dressing room.

I think he'll go on to achieve good things in the game (more than Eustace will), but his relationship here had soured. 

Perhaps we would have been promoted with him too, IF we had normal owners.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 05:18, rigger said:

In your opinion. But he still looks better under JE than JDT, hence the original quote, I would suspect.

I thought he looked better against The Saints too.