BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

17 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Your last one sums it up. His success or failure will not be judged by a comparison to JDT’s last 11 games. I don’t know why it keeps getting done.

To justify yet another shambolic decision by the club needing an appointment after getting a promising young manager to crash and burn.

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He turned down a Dutch club and a Swiss club in just 18 months in charge of us. He'll find another gig very easily when he wants it. 

He MIGHT get another Championship gig, but I'm sure he'd be much more discerning this time. 

…. Exactly the sort of places I envisage his next gig to be at.

When one or two of the bigger Championship clubs had vacancies earlier in the season, they did not fancy JDT.

He did well last season, but did not have tangible success, and then struggled this season, admittedly with mitigating circumstances, but hard luck stories don’t cut any ice in professional sport.

His only tangible success to date is in Scandinavia, hence the Swedish National gig.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

That’s because we scored 5 in a game where we were able to field Hedges, Dolan, Gally and Szmodics for the first time, and we also had JRC, Hyam and Pears playing which JDT didn’t have at the start of January.

If those 7 players had constantly been available during JDT’s last 11 games, does anyone really think we wouldn’t have better stats that what is posted there?

Plus it again desperately includes the Stoke game to prove, err, I’m not sure what. That Eustace’s run is better than JDT’s worst run across 19 months when we had a massive injury crisis?

It's almost as if you want Eustace to be worse than Tomasson. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

It's almost as if you want Eustace to be worse than Tomasson. 

If you think that you really, really haven’t read any of my posts on the Eustace thread then have you?

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Yep, ironically those adding in the Stoke game - which can charitably be called a debatable addition- are actually highlighting how naff Eustace has been. If you have to give him that one result to help make his stats good, it shows he hasn't done that well! In fact desperation to include it shows how underwhelming the rest of the time has been. 

Mind you it's all rather arbitrary  - no context, deciding where to start/end  the stats from. I'd have a bit more time for it if there was an honesty of its been a fairly crap start which has perked up of late.  

He was involved in the team selection and tactics for the Stoke Game plus he was on the touchline second half making subs and managing the players from the touchline. 

I also don't think Eustace has been naff at all but he has tried to sort the defence out and stop us leaking goals so much. Also factor in very limited time on the training pitch he has had. Look at the performances since we have had time on the training pitch we had 1 win, 2 draws and 1 lose but 2 clean sheets and much better overall performances

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

That’s because we scored 5 in a game where we were able to field Hedges, Dolan, Gally and Szmodics for the first time, and we also had JRC, Hyam and Pears playing which JDT didn’t have at the start of January.

If those 7 players had constantly been available during JDT’s last 11 games, does anyone really think we wouldn’t have better stats that what is posted there?

Plus it again desperately includes the Stoke game to prove, err, I’m not sure what. That Eustace’s run is better than JDT’s worst run across 19 months when we had a massive injury crisis?

All it does is show that the form has been turned around to a degree, but particularly the defence,hopefully enough to keep us up. 

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Stats should never be used on their own as they can be cherry picked to prove anything you want - for example…

JDT in the league this season 1.17 points per game extrapolated over a season = 54 and almost certain to be safe

JE in the league this season (including Stoke) 1 point per game extrapolated over a season = 46 point and likely to be relegated

JE without the Stoke game 0.82 points per game = 38 points and certain relegation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was involved in the team selection and tactics for the Stoke Game plus he was on the touchline second half making subs and managing the players from the touchline. 

I also don't think Eustace has been naff at all but he has tried to sort the defence out and stop us leaking goals so much. Also factor in very limited time on the training pitch he has had. Look at the performances since we have had time on the training pitch we had 1 win, 2 draws and 1 lose but 2 clean sheets and much better overall performances

You are totally missing the point! I'm not arguing with you as to whether it was his game - I've seen enough others to do that and will steer clear.  I'm saying if his record was so good it wouldn't make a difference whether this one match was included or not. As it does make a big difference, that shows he hasn't been doing that well!

Would agree the last couple of weeks have been more positive. Let's be honest though, it hasn't an amazing start. (BTW it's OK to criticise the club and admit when everything is not rosy.)

10 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

Markanday still looks completely off championship level

To be fair, he was very good yesterday and certainly one of our stronger performers.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I genuinely think Man City are dreadful to watch - they just have such ridiculous players that it works. 

Southampton (and Martin) are trying to be a Poundland Man City. 

Premier League is mostly like watching chess these days.

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

You are totally missing the point! I'm not arguing with you as to whether it was his game - I've seen enough others to do that and will steer clear.  I'm saying if his record was so good it wouldn't make a difference whether this one match was included or not. As it does make a big difference, that shows he hasn't been doing that well!

Would agree the last couple of weeks have been more positive. Let's be honest though, it hasn't an amazing start. (BTW it's OK to criticise the club and admit when everything is not rosy.)

Eustace stopped the goals going in and settling for a point in some games. 

Eustace took the decision to be being defensively and work from that solid base. He has got on with the job of keeping us up and Moving us forward towards the summer and what transfers we needed in

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Eustace stopped the goals going in and settling for a point in some games. 

Eustace took the decision to be being defensively and work from that solid base. He has got on with the job of keeping us up and Moving us forward towards the summer and what transfers we needed in

Try, just try please, to engaging with the points people make. 

29 minutes ago, 47er said:

I don't think Hedges will ever be constantly available,  Nor Gally. Nor JRC.

That was the problem for Tomasson, a thread -bare squad. Forced to send out boys to do a man's job.

Eustace has been fortunate in that his arrival coincided with the return of valuable players.

Let's never forget how Tomasson was let down time and time again. In the end he'd had enough but they wouldn't let him go and held on to his contract until the situation was impossible.

That's the truth of it.

He was the best appointment since Big Sam but he was conned into believing there was a project for him to lead.

That doesn't excuse his treatment of Wharton over the Burnley game or his stubbornness in insisting on a style of play his squad wasn't up to.

But look at the performances in the Cups--a sense of pride and optimism. We hadn't see anything like that for years. A razor-blade width from reaching the play-offs in his first season with us.We were an exciting team, other fans than Rover's poured over our performances.

I'll look back on his tenure with great fondness. Reminded us what a great Club we are.

In the end, like everything they touch, it was brought to an end by Venkys.

My feelings too, with some moderate backing financially and shared ambition, I believe JDT could have delivered promotion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

My feelings too, with some moderate backing financially and shared ambition, I believe JDT could have delivered promotion.

We kept blowing up in pressure games. That’s been going on for a while now, before JDT. So I think if we had have got into the play offs the same thing would have happened.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We kept blowing up in pressure games. That’s been going on for a while now, before JDT. So I think if we had have got into the play offs the same thing would have happened.

We didn't bottle the big Cup-ties though?

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The way we were playing towards the end of JDT’s time here no way would we have got a 0-0 draw yesterday. More likely we would have tried to go toe to toe with them and lost 3-1.

But every chance we'd have won against some of the shitter teams we drew against.

Either way it's irrelevant, if we're sitting first or second in January next year the owners will decimate the squad or do some meddling to cause disruption and prevent us from being promoted.

16 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I'd have said we did at Sheff Utd

Fantastic game. Really proud of our performance. Tired towards the end.

A great advert for us that day. So  creative.

On 03/04/2024 at 11:08, Mercer said:

Think there will be goals galore.

Think Saints will win as they usually start matches well and when on song would tear our slow and static defence to pieces.  I see them racing into a 2 or 3 goal lead  with a the final score ending up 1-4 or 2-4. 

Keep up the good work old chap. Always entertaining! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 47er said:

We didn't bottle the big Cup-ties though?

They were basically” free hits “ . Nobody on here expected us to win at West Ham or Leicester. The first time we looked like winning in what had become  a pressure game, the cup game against Sheff U, we couldn’t get over the line in spite of being in a great position to do so.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

I had a feeling we'd perform well against Southampton. The way JE sets his sides up means he will always have a chance against a team coached by Russell Martin

We should get used to that type of performance - make the pitch as narrow as possible when you don't have the ball, but as wide as possible when you do. JE certainly follows that mantra. We look so much better in defence. Not allowing ourselves to be exposed to as many 1 v 1's really helps........ We have to understand that Hyam, Wharton and Carter aren't Premier League standard, and I really think that's where JDT let himself down

Unfortunately, we weren't good enough when we won that ball further up the pitch. It is a stark contrast to how our season was going before the change

I do worry about next year. There's every chance we are going to lose both Gallagher and Szmodics and clearly Eustace doesn't have a lot of faith in those behind them. Although, he can be reluctant to make changes at times, so that may be another thing we need to get used to. Really he just needs backing. We need some better wingers and we need a better striker than Gally who, for all of his work rate, is just not up to standard for the Championship imo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I had a feeling we'd perform well against Southampton. The way JE sets his sides up means he will always have a chance against a team coached by Russell Martin

We should get used to that type of performance - make the pitch as narrow as possible when you don't have the ball, but as wide as possible when you do. JE certainly follows that mantra. We look so much better in defence. Not allowing ourselves to be exposed to as many 1 v 1's really helps........ We have to understand that Hyam, Wharton and Carter aren't Premier League standard, and I really think that's where JDT let himself down

Unfortunately, we weren't good enough when we won that ball further up the pitch. It is a stark contrast to how our season was going before the change

I do worry about next year. There's every chance we are going to lose both Gallagher and Szmodics and clearly Eustace doesn't have a lot of faith in those behind them. Although, he can be reluctant to make changes at times, so that may be another thing we need to get used to. Really he just needs backing. We need some better wingers and we need a better striker than Gally who, for all of his work rate, is just not up to standard for the Championship imo.

I don’t think Gally will be much of a loss to be honest. He’s not enough of a threat up front and he misses vital games through injury. If we can’t do better than that with the wages he’s reputedly on we need a change of scouts.