BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

If ever a game is shaped by both sides previous match it is this one.

Can Rovers carry on defending well, pressing expertly and scoring freely? In all fairness, the games before Sunderland suggested the defending and pressing were coming back to scratch.

Southampton on the other hand were controlling their game at Ipswich and still contrived to lose so will come to Ewood with a decent backing and win at all costs requirement if automatic promotion hopes aren't going to be extinguished.

Southampton are excellent going forward but their defence is sloppy and vulnerable so we have a chance of making it back to back wins.

Welcome back to Adam Armstrong and Joe Rothwell.

• Like 3

Good to know that we can go into this one with an unchanged team except Chrisene starting in place of Pickering.

Would be a fantastic sign that we have turned the corner if we could get a win here. Southampton's season on hold now till the playoffs so we should be looking to out compete them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very easy decision team selection wise here. same 11 that started the Sunderland game

I think Pickering may be out.

• Like 2

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic

southampton do over commit the martinball and when they lose it they are vulnerable,id`e have 2 banks of four sitting deeper with sammie and dolan stood further up the pitch  looking for the out ball,i don`t think they are very good at defending at all,the late ipswich goal was caused by dithering,sarmiento had time to fall over,get up and still get his shot away

They surely must have given up on automatics now, even if they win their games in hand it's a bridge too far. It'll be interesting to see how they react to Monday, on paper we're probably their easiest remaining game aside from maybe Stoke at home. Unless of course we make a habit of playing like WE did on Monday too. I think most of us were expecting a pumping before Monday, at least there's some hope now. Southampton games usually guarantee goals so it should be entertaining either way.

Plymouth go to Rotherham on Friday night so will be hoping for some kind of reaction after potting Foster. QPR will want to finish Sheff Weds off and put themselves safe. Millwall and Huddersfield should be a slug fest. No doubting how huge a win could be.

I've long said that football is a game of confidence, made interesting by the influence of lady luck. Both Rovers and Southampton have had their fair share of games where both those factors have deserted them, leading to unpalatable reverses. Both have players capable of stinging the opposition - imagine Rovers this season if we'd had an out and out striker like AA in the side together with Super Sammie!?! - but both are prone to giving away very silly goals.

This has score draw written all over it, so of course that means one side will probably nick it. Hopefully it will be Rovers with home advantage (really??) and their dander up after Monday who grab the still vital points towards survival.

Head 1-1 (Szmodics and Armstrong)

Heart 3-1 (JRC, Szmodics, Telalovic - Armstrong)

Hit and Hope 5-4 (an exciting late season goal fest with Rovers coming out on top for keeping going till the 97th minute)

COYB!

Oh, and please bugger off some time soon ye loons of Venkster Land, ye scunners of backroom scullduggery, and all who care not for the legend of East Lancashire Blue and Whitery. 

• Like 1

Southampton will want to protect the current 4th spot.

This gives them home advantage in the 2nd leg playoff game v 5th.

Above based on their being out of contention for 3rd spot despite games in hand.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Really hope the soft lads can get another win here. Russell Martin is a complete cock womble and I'd love to see him fail to get this side promoted.

On the subject of cockwombles they have also been spotted in Pune. This one clucks when called Bling.

download~2.jpeg

• Like 2

Adam Armstrong and Joe Rothwell both returning to Ewood, I think for the first time for both of them?

Hopefully we can maintain what has been a reasonable defensive record as of late, but I still expect us to concede with the firepower that Saints have.

Southampton have become a bit of an inconsistent bunch in recent weeks. Its an awkward time for them as they can't make automatic spots anymore but are nailed on for the playoffs. The next few games will probably feel like a bit of a slog for them as they'll just want to get to the playoff matches, so it could be a good time to play them with that in mind.

Monday saw us start with Hedges, Szmodics, Dolan and Gallagher as a front 4 for the first time this season (I think?), and I feel that it is probably our best attacking combination. Hopefully they can do the business as they did against Sunderland.

Aside from bringing in Chrisene for Pickering I don't see any need to change it, injuries pending of course.

Have a decent insight into Southampton from contacts I made whilst working for a spell down there.  Generally, fans seem to loathe Martin and haven't too many kind words to say about Wilcox!

This is 'soft lads' versus 'soft lads', 'bottlejobs' versus 'bottlejobs'.

Who will crumble first?

Think there will be goals galore.

Think Saints will win as they usually start matches well and when on song would tear our slow and static defence to pieces.  I see them racing into a 2 or 3 goal lead  with a the final score ending up 1-4 or 2-4. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

I have a sneaky feeling we'll get something from this. Saints are now in a 'playing for nothing' mentality until May, and if any other team could match us for a soft under-belly it's these guys. There is more on the line for us, so hopefully we play that way. 

Surprised to see that Rothwell, Smallbone, Sulemana and Walker-Peters were all on the bench on Monday for them. They would walk into most Championship teams. Rothwell in particular had a spell where he looked steady for Bournemouth in the Prem so i'm surprised to see he doesn't play much now.

23 hours ago, philipl said:

If ever a game is shaped by both sides previous match it is this one.

Can Rovers carry on defending well, pressing expertly and scoring freely? In all fairness, the games before Sunderland suggested the defending and pressing were coming back to scratch.

Southampton on the other hand were controlling their game at Ipswich and still contrived to lose so will come to Ewood with a decent backing and win at all costs requirement if automatic promotion hopes aren't going to be extinguished.

Southampton are excellent going forward but their defence is sloppy and vulnerable so we have a chance of making it back to back wins.

Welcome back to Adam Armstrong and Joe Rothwell.

....but Rothwell can fck off....just saying...

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Have a decent insight into Southampton from contacts I made whilst working for a spell down there.  Generally, fans seem to loathe Martin and haven't too many kind words to say about Wilcox!

Who will crumble first?

Think Saints will win as they usually start matches well and when on song would tear our slow and static defence to pieces.  I see them racing into a 2 or 3 goal lead  with a the final score ending up 1-4 or 2-4. 

More contacts across the country and another thrashing. Another day in Mercer world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Who will crumble first?

They'll be happy to see that Wilcox is off to Man United then.

5 minutes ago, Michael123458 said:

We can nick this 1 nil. We will be under the cosh for long long periods but after Monday who feels we’ve got our rovers back. I do still buzzing off Mondays win let’s push on now fuck the saints. 

RTID!!

If we are going to win it I think we’ll need more than one goal. It’s doable though if we can reproduce the Newcastle/Sunderland form. At least Southampton won’t be parking the bus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

They'll be happy to see that Wilcox is off to Man United then.

Think they are!!

Two signings stick in the craw for them - Shea Charles from City for £10million+ who can't get in the team and Ross Stewart from Sunderland for £10million and he's still injured and yet to kick a ball for them.

Wilcox owes opportunity at United to their new CEO Berrada who Wilcox worked under at City.

Can we play north east teams every week?. Shame there's so few of them because we usually seem to do well.

Back to earth with a bump I think with this one.

1-0 defeat with the immutable law of the ex in Adam Armstrong inevitably scoring the winner. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Can we play north east teams every week?. Shame there's so few of them because we usually seem to do well.

Back to earth with a bump I think with this one.

1-0 defeat with the immutable law of the ex in Adam Armstrong inevitably scoring the winner. 

Surely this means a goal for Gallagher too? 🧐

• Like 2

There's less pressure for a result after the Sunderland game, so a point wouldn't be a disaster.

Hard to leave anyone out from the last game, injuries pending / etc.
You don't change a winning side.

• Like 2