BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

We will get absolutely decimated.  Rothwell will make mince meat of us.  A motivated Southampton to beat a cautious Rovers 0-5... I think we've got a very poor squad which is reflected in our league position.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

We will get absolutely decimated.  Rothwell will make mince meat of us.  A motivated Southampton to beat a cautious Rovers 0-5... I think we've got a very poor squad which is reflected in our league position.  

I give Samaritans a call before it’s too late if I were you.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Andy said:

There's less pressure for a result after the Sunderland game, so a point wouldn't be a disaster.

Hard to leave anyone out from the last game, injuries pending / etc.
You don't change a winning side.

That’s if we’re all fit. Were a bit brittle in that respect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old Codger said:

I've long said that football is a game of confidence, made interesting by the influence of lady luck. Both Rovers and Southampton have had their fair share of games where both those factors have deserted them, leading to unpalatable reverses. Both have players capable of stinging the opposition - imagine Rovers this season if we'd had an out and out striker like AA in the side together with Super Sammie!?! - but both are prone to giving away very silly goals.

This has score draw written all over it, so of course that means one side will probably nick it. Hopefully it will be Rovers with home advantage (really??) and their dander up after Monday who grab the still vital points towards survival.

Head 1-1 (Szmodics and Armstrong)

Heart 3-1 (JRC, Szmodics, Telalovic - Armstrong)

Hit and Hope 5-4 (an exciting late season goal fest with Rovers coming out on top for keeping going till the 97th minute)

COYB!

Oh, and please bugger off some time soon ye loons of Venkster Land, ye scunners of backroom scullduggery, and all who care not for the legend of East Lancashire Blue and Whitery. 

Why do we yanks & rebs here in the good ol’ U.S.A. not say, “bugger off”?! 😂

I’m going to make a point to start saying it more often, lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Why do we yanks & rebs here in the good ol’ U.S.A. not say, “bugger off”?! 😂

I’m going to make a point to start saying it more often, lol

I think it probably loses some of it's impact due to the accent, but I'd certainly like to be a fly on the wall when you start bandying that phrase about State-side 🙂

Nervous about this one - we do have a tendency to smoke our own exhaust sometimes, especially after having had a good day out earlier in the week...

It should be a decent game of football, if Rovers turn up, and yes, they can all bugger off if they don't! 😉

COYB!

• Like 2

JDT got this one all wrong when we went down there trying to play an open game against that lot signed our own defeat before we'd kicked off.

Lucky to get away with only 4 so hopefully Eustace will offer something a lot more organised and if we can get a goal up anything can happen.

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

JDT got this one all wrong when we went down there trying to play an open game against that lot signed our own defeat before we'd kicked off.

Lucky to get away with only 4 so hopefully Eustace will offer something a lot more organised and if we can get a goal up anything can happen.

I thought we set up the most defensive we had been under Tomasson down there. We sat deep and invited pressure as we let them dominate the ball and territory. We conceded a really poor goal from a corner just before half time and the game plan went to pieces. Shortly into the second half Brittain got a stupid red card and from then it was simply damage limitation. I think Eustace will adopt similar tactics on Saturday but with the new found resilience we a more than capable of keeping a clean sheet. And with Szmodics we can always nick one.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Agreed looks a good player, I like him 

I'd be amazed if signing him permanently would be an option - prem teams don't give away their kids who don't quite make it as readily as they used to. 

He's really growing on me though. I had a downer on both him and Ayari after their first few appearances. They looked far too green to come into the situation we found ourselves in. Physically he looks great though and he has improved markedly not he's getting used to the Championship. Even another 12 month loan would be worth exploring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd be amazed if signing him permanently would be an option - prem teams don't give away their kids who don't quite make it as readily as they used to. 

He's really growing on me though. I had a downer on both him and Ayari after their first few appearances. They looked far too green to come into the situation we found ourselves in. Physically he looks great though and he has improved markedly not he's getting used to the Championship. Even another 12 month loan would be worth exploring. 

I actually don't think he'd cost too much. £500-750k?

36 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I actually don't think he'd cost too much. £500-750k?

Doubt it to be honest. I think if they view him as having even the slightest chance of making their first team squad in the next couple of years, then they'll want more money than any club would realistically be willing to pay. Even if they don't see him as a future player for them, they'll probably be looking to loan him out for another 12 months to get more value out of selling him next year. 

• Like 1

Predicting these games is an impossible task, but here’s the matchups:

Rovers (45 pts) vs Saints;

Stoke (45) vs WBA;

Hud (40) vs Millwall (44);

Leicester vs Brum (42);

Roth (23) vs pilgrims (41).

If Rovers get even a point, it’s a boost. Obviously we need baggies, foxes, & Rotherham to win. Don’t count on Rotherham.  I don’t want to see Hud get any closer, but we don’t need Millwall to get ahead of us. A tie might be best there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WacoRover said:

Predicting these games is an impossible task, but here’s the matchups:

Rovers (45 pts) vs Saints;

Stoke (45) vs WBA;

Hud (40) vs Millwall (44);

Leicester vs Brum (42);

Roth (23) vs pilgrims (41).

If Rovers get even a point, it’s a boost. Obviously we need baggies, foxes, & Rotherham to win. Don’t count on Rotherham.  I don’t want to see Hud get any closer, but we don’t need Millwall to get ahead of us. A tie might be best there. 

You mean a draw. In the UK ties are what you used to wear around your neck. Occasionally you get them in cricket.
Incidentally Mrs Shoelaces went to her first baseball match in Cincinnati this week. Her verdict - “ rounders on steroids “.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You mean a draw. In the UK ties are what you used to wear around your neck. Occasionally you get them in cricket.
Incidentally Mrs Shoelaces went to her first baseball match in Cincinnati this week. Her verdict - “ rounders on steroids “.

I like baseball. Pace of the game and ambience very similar to cricket. I like watching the techniques of the bowlers (pitchers) and batters (now horribly used in cricket also).  Went to the Red Sox v LA Angels game last year, low scoring game but v enjoyable.

Back to the Saints game, a draw would be a good result against them. They're a good side with some talented players. Hope A Armstrong doesn't score. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I like baseball. Pace of the game and ambience very similar to cricket. I like watching the techniques of the bowlers (pitchers) and batters (now horribly used in cricket also).  Went to the Red Sox v LA Angels game last year, low scoring game but v enjoyable.

Back to the Saints game, a draw would be a good result against them. They're a good side with some talented players. Hope A Armstrong doesn't score. 

She said it took three hours from start to finish. Longer than a football game  but not as long as a day at the cricket?

4 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I think Ayari looks a player too- only small but very aggressive, tenacious, skillful and can carry the ball. Can see why Brighton thought he might be worth a gamble.

Exactly the sort of player who if we signed on a 4 year deal, we'd be absolutely delighted. A 6 month loan when you're in a dog fight, it feels a lot more like he's just making mistakes on your time.

Having said that, he too is winning me round. He looks very, very green in terms of his game awareness I think, but that's understandable. I think it goes to show how tricky it is to bring in good quality loans who from the get-go are only ever likely to be squad players. 

10 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I think Ayari looks a player too- only small but very aggressive, tenacious, skillful and can carry the ball. Can see why Brighton thought he might be worth a gamble.

Agreed, I like the look of Ayari - definitely has something about him.
Has the technical ability, but also puts his foot in.
A proper 'Rovers' player, I guess.

Chrisene, I'm still not 100% on. He's looked better in recent games, but I think he's still playing within himself a bit.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Y’all talk about Cup ties…I never heard the phrase, Cup draws.
 just saying.

USED to wear a tie? I wore a tie to my job for 31 years. It was required Court attire.
And, I still wear a tie occasionally.
I cannot quit after so many years. Besides, I have about 30 of ‘em 😅

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

just saying.

USED to wear a tie? I wore a tie to my job for 31 years. It was required Court attire.

Different context - a cup tie refers to the actual game. A draw is the result.

I’ve got a few more ties than that. Unfortunately the last time I wore one was the usual black one for a funeral earlier this year.

3 hours ago, WacoRover said:

just saying.

Cup draw. Generally used in December when the FA cup gets serious. The third round cup draw is a highlight of the season for many, especially the surviving teams, from the lower leagues. 

7 hours ago, lraC said:

Cup draw. Generally used in December when the FA cup gets serious. The third round cup draw is a highlight of the season for many, especially the surviving teams, from the lower leagues. 

It used to be when it was broadcast live on BBC radio at 12-30 pm or 12-45 pm on the Monday after the 2nd games. Now I never know when it’s on.

• Like 1