BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have very little interested in the Euro's apart from watching England. I expect my interest will get more when they get closer. 

On England squad, my 26 man squad would be

Keeper - Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson

Defenders - Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Tripper, Tomori, Guehi, James

Midfielders - Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Mainoo, Maddison, Gallagher

Strikers - Kane, Foden, Saka, Grealish, Palmer, Bowen, Gordon, Watkins, Wilson

I'd go with

Keepers: Pickford, Henderson, Butland

Defenders: Walker, White, Stones, Branthwaite, Maguire, Tomori, Mitchell, Shaw, Trippier 

Midfielders: Rice, Gallagher, Mainoo, Alexander-Arnold, Lewis, Bellingham

Forwards: Foden, Palmer, Bowen, Saka, Grealish, Kane, Watkins, Solanke

• Like 1

The lack of a left back and the void of central midfielders aside from Rice is a huge concern. As is the inevitable selection of Maguire. We really need to hope that Kane isnt either carrying his injury into the tournament or even misses out entirely as that would be a potentially fatal blow.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to England's first game, first time for me at a tournament. Can't wait. 

If it was up to me I would start : 

Pickford

Walker      Stones      ??????      Shaw

TAA       Rice   

Saka       Bellingham     Foden

Kane

Probably as good a front six players as England have ever had. A proper midfielder instead of TAA would be better but you can't deny his quality.  Saka, Bellingham, Foden and Kane are probably all in the top 10 forwards in world football, I can't think of a period where we have had that ever? Rice as also kicked on massively, and you wouldn't be surprised if Real or Barca wanted him. Also - unlike the period where we had Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard - the player are well balanced as Foden and Saka are very comfortable playing wide.

Back five though has been bad for a while and going backwards. Stones and Walker are solid, but the keeper, left back and the other CB are all worries for me. Its super concerning that we seem to be drifting into Maguire starting after he had a really bad season and more injuries. I am still very confused why someone like Tomori has not been given a chance to bed in.

Shaw and Chilwell both unconvincing. Shaw was great but injuries have hurt him badly, and Chilwell has also missed most of the season. 

Pickford I can live with as he is decent at everything (handling, shot stopping, coming for crosses, distribution) although not brilliant at any either, but great teams need great keepers and while good he is not in the top bracket....

Edit - also with Watkins, Cole Palmer, Grealish, Gordon off the bench there is genuine quality to bring on to change games.

Edited by joey_big_nose

12 minutes ago, superniko said:

Hasn't Trafford been a laughing stock at Burnley and ended up losing his place? Would be a ridiculous call up, despite the likelihood of 0 minutes.

We’ve no really top notch keepers. The likes of Jim Montgomery, Gordon West, even Peter Bonnetti would have 75 caps today.

Wharton, Eze and Brainthwaite in

Henderson left out

There is a real touch of class about Wharton. What a crying shame we will never see the best of him. Here's hoping his career lasts longer than the Venkys do here and we get to see him in our colours again. If he makes the full Euros squad it is going to be a real joy watching one of our own in an England shirt

• Like 5

Glad that Rashford and Henderson have been dropped but a bit of a strange squad overall.

8 centre backs and only 1 left back who himself is unlikely to make it shows the imbalance, and 6 of the centre backs are likely competing to be understudy to calamity Maguire.

We also look thin in midfield with Wharton (who will probably be cut) and Mainoo having potentially a huge responsibility on them.

We have a number of injured players, players out of form and players not playing often.

Full squad here; ESPN: Rashford, Henderson out of Euro squad

Goalkeepers: James Trafford, Dean Henderson, Aaron Ramsdale, Jordan Pickford

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite, Jarrell Quansah, Luke Shaw, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Kieran Trippier

Midfielders: Adam Wharton, Kobbie Mainoo, Curtis Jones, Conor Gallagher, Declan Rice, Trent Alexander-Arnold

Forwards: Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Phil Foden, Cole Palmer, Jude Bellingham, Bukayo Saka, James Maddison, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Jack Grealish

Southgate stalwarts Henderson, Rashford, and Phillips are out. Not one of them deserves a spot so fair play to Southgate. I doubt they will but all 3 of them should look at choices they've made over the past year or so. Henderson is winding down his career but going to Saudi Arabia was a bad idea. Ditto with Phillips signing for City, it completely derailed his career. So much so that West Ham gave up on him. As for Rashford, he has been moping around all season and now he is suffering the consequences of that. He needed to leave Man U 2 seasons ago. He is too comfortable and is able to get away with things that wouldn't cut it elsewhere. 

All of us on here want Wharton in, and I'm glad he made the initial 33. Looking at who is listed as a midfield player I agree with @joey_big_nosethat TAA is looking like the favourite to play alongside Rice. 

A few on here like Tomori, Southgate obviously doesn't.

I am surprised at Joe Gomez. Maybe he's there as he can play anywhere across the back 4. If not for injuries at the wrong time he'd have had Maguire's spot. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Glad that Rashford and Henderson have been dropped but a bit of a strange squad overall.

8 centre backs and only 1 left back who himself is unlikely to make it shows the imbalance, and 6 of the centre backs are likely competing to be understudy to calamity Maguire.

We also look thin in midfield with Wharton (who will probably be cut) and Mainoo having potentially a huge responsibility on them.

We have a number of injured players, players out of form and players not playing often.

No Chilwell makes me think that Southgate has been given positive reports on Shaw. He has used Trippier at left back plenty too. 

Quansah and Branthwaite are there for the experience. They both look very good. Is Colwill injured? He looked like he'd play a big part at this tournament. A left footed central defender is a rare find. 

I wouldn't be worried about Mainoo, he was the only calm head in a sputtering Man U team.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazing how much turnover in the squad/team in just three years.

Euro 2020 Final vs. Italy (played 11th July 2021)

Kalvin Phillips, Raheem Sterling, Mason Mount all started, all miss the squad completely this time.

Jordan Henderson, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho all came off the bench, all miss the squad completely this time.

6/16 or 37.5% of Englands players in the match miss the 26 man squad entirely, just three years on.

Non playing substitues that also miss out on the squad this time include. Tyrone Mings, Conor Coady, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Reece James.

Other members of the squad to miss out, Ben Chilwell, Ben White, Sam Johnstone.

An incredible 13/26 or half the entire squad miss out on Euro 2024, just three years later.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well he didn't pick his supposedly favourites so its disapproves this claim. plus Mount, 

Maguire and Stones are rightly first choice for me. 

Who else is there at left back? I would have took Jones. 

Ben White should have been picked but according to Southgate he is still unavailable given he can 2 roles which might be needed in the Euro's 

The defenders I would take would be these  Jarrad Branthwaite, Luke Shaw, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Joe Gomez, Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Kieran Trippier

Rice, TAA, Gallagher and Bellingham would be my first 4 so its between Wharton, Mainoo and Jones for last CM for me 

Injuries will always happened before Tournaments starts 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Kalvin Phillips, Raheem Sterling, Mason Mount all started, all miss the squad completely this time.

Jordan Henderson, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho all came off the bench, all miss the squad completely this time.

6/16 or 37.5% of Englands players in the match miss the 26 man squad entirely, just three years on.

Non playing substitues that also miss out on the squad this time include. Tyrone Mings, Conor Coady, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Reece James.

An incredible 13/26 or half the entire squad miss out on Euro 2024, just three years later.

I was looking at old squads myself. It is interesting to see. 

5 of your first 6 switched teams since Euro 2021. Them not making this squad shows that the grass is not always greener, and with 3 of them at Man U I'd tell other young English players to keep away. Mainoo should leave now. 

The rest of them, aside from Coady who's past it and Ben White who hates Southgate, have been derailed by injuries.

I am not bothered that any of the players you listed are not in. James and Sancho were once touted as being potential world beaters. James has appeared in roughly half of Chelsea's premier league games in the last 4 seasons, and Sancho is only now getting back to showing what he can do after 2 disastrous years at Old Trafford. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

But what's good is it does feel that they have all been replaced by better players. Only really top one out of that bunch was Sterling, but I would take the set of current forwards as better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Maguire has been anything but a calamity for England

• Like 2

You'd imagine that Brainthwaite and Trafford are sure fire to not go. I don't think he will take Jarrod Bowen either.

One of Quansah, Guehi or Dunk will go.

Up top I'd say Ivan Toney will be dropped.

Unfortunately, I think the last one to go will be Wharton

I think it is surprising he has named Guehi and Dunk over Tomori. He does not rate him whatsoever or can't be arsed to go to Italy

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

No Chilwell makes me think that Southgate has been given positive reports on Shaw. He has used Trippier at left back plenty too. 

Quansah and Branthwaite are there for the experience. They both look very good. Is Colwill injured? He looked like he'd play a big part at this tournament. A left footed central defender is a rare find. 

I wouldn't be worried about Mainoo, he was the only calm head in a sputtering Man U team.  

Chilwell himself has been injured and to be honest isnt that good to begin with. Colwill is obviously more of a centre back but has also been injured. And with Mainoo, he clearly has ability but like Wharton is unproven.

Regarding those positions, the worries are not specific to Southgate's selections. We are just very weak in those areas. We could (Southgate sounded pessimistic on Shaw's fitness) very feasibly enter the tournament without a single left back in the squad. And reliant on a 33 year old right back who has himself recently had an injury and some poor form in the last few months to plug that gap.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well he didn't pick his supposedly favourites so its disapproves this claim. plus Mount, 

Maguire and Stones are rightly first choice for me. 

Who else is there at left back? I would have took Jones. 

Ben White should have been picked but according to Southgate he is still unavailable given he can 2 roles which might be needed in the Euro's 

The defenders I would take would be these  Jarrad Branthwaite, Luke Shaw, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Joe Gomez, Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Kieran Trippier

Rice, TAA, Gallagher and Bellingham would be my first 4 so its between Wharton, Mainoo and Jones for last CM for me 

Injuries will always happened before Tournaments starts 

Bellingham isnt going to play and doesnt play in a deeper midfield role. So doesnt count for those positions. I think Wharton and Mainoo should go and compete with Alexander Arnold beside Rice.

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I am surprised at Joe Gomez. Maybe he's there as he can play anywhere across the back 4. If not for injuries at the wrong time he'd have had Maguire's spot. 

He's had a really good season for Liverpool, though, not sure how he did during their end of season collapse. I think he's left back cover, as he has played there very effectively for Liverpool this campaign. He went through a really bad spell of form a year or so back, so the only question is his mental toughness. Otherwise, he's deserved in the squad.

Looking at the forward talent, Southgate's job is to give them a foundation to express themselves and surely, England will do well. I think the key will be getting Foden on the ball centrally, as he has done for Man City. Guardiola has, I feel, restricted Foden by moving him around and dropping him. But, it was notable, for the run-in, when the pressure meant he couldn't tinker (self-indulgently, sometimes, in my humble opinion), Foden, Silva and De Bruyne played pretty much every match.

I would also keep Bowen in the final squad, if he can replicate his direct and brave style of play that he has for West Ham. He could be the 'secret' weapon off the bench.