BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

Definition....

Petty

adj. pet·ti·er, pet·ti·est

Of small importance; trivial: a petty grievance.

Marked by narrowness of mind, ideas, or views.

Marked by meanness or lack of generosity, especially in trifling matters.

Secondary in importance or rank; subordinate. See Synonyms at trivial.

Law. Variant of petit.

Missing the point entirely.

Of course it doesn't really matter if Cole is staying.

Rather serious if he is leaving and Dickov is the replacement though.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does matter whether he stays or not. He is a quality player.

But the fact of the matter is that you are complaining Souness did not talk about Cole when it is Dickov he has signed and subsequently interviewed about.

He was obviously asked about what he thought Dickov could bring to the club and he talked about him.

Who do you expect him to talk about?

Can imagine it now: -

Interviewer: 'So what can Paul Dickov bring to the side?'

GS: 'Never mind him, lets talk about Cole'

huh.gif

That interview was on roversworld, whereby he was trying to say that Dickov would be a good role model for his younger players. He did include Cole shortly after.

Well if that's the case, no worries but it's a glaring omission from the journalist.

which is also the reason why you still hold rovers responsible for selling duff.

all because of that first press release that was sent out by the club saying we had agreed to sell duff.

instead of the actual reason, when John Williams was interviewed and said the words - " the last bid triggered the release clause'

all i would say rev - is that you seem very quick to jump on a press story before finding out the truth!

Yes it does matter whether he stays or not. He is a quality player.

But the fact of the matter is that you are complaining Souness did not talk about Cole when it is Dickov he has signed and subsequently interviewed about.

He was obviously asked about what he thought Dickov could bring to the club and he talked about him.

Who do you expect him to talk about?

Can imagine it now: -

Interviewer: 'So what can Paul Dickov bring to the side?'

GS: 'Never mind him, lets talk about Cole'

huh.gif

and that hits the nail squarely on the head !

PPS why the hell are you bringing the Duff thing up again ?  Can't you get over the fact that HE wanted to LEAVE, WILLIAMS and SOUNESS wanted hin to STAY, HE ran out of Manchester airport, HE invoked HIS release clause, and he's happy now kissing his Chelsea shirt.  For ****'s sake it's 11 months ago, give it a rest !!!

Deep breaths Tris. Want to borrow some of my medication by the way? It works a treat - I just burst out laughing at Jan's (few) posts these days.

Don't think I'm reading too much into it. The article also says "The Blackburn Rovers boss is relishing the prospect of adding the ingredient of Dickov's experienxce to the raw talent of Paul Gallagher and Jonathan Stead next season." How much clearer could that be?

To be fair, I'm sure Andy Cole, being the 2nd highest premiership scorer and all that, wouldn't be too impressed if GS starts telling him what Dickov can do to help his game.

PPS why the hell are you bringing the Duff thing up again ?  Can't you get over the fact that HE wanted to LEAVE, WILLIAMS and SOUNESS wanted hin to STAY, HE ran out of Manchester airport, HE invoked HIS release clause, and he's happy now kissing his Chelsea shirt.  For ****'s sake it's 11 months ago, give it a rest !!!

Deep breaths Tris. Want to borrow some of my medication by the way? It works a treat - I just burst out laughing at Jan's (few) posts these days.

I suppose Jan is either hibernating, or on the huddleboard, discussing ways of killing Souness, Ferguson and Tugay with fellow Celtic fans. Anyway, give the Duff nonsense a rest RB, he wanted to be in the Champions league, and double his pay, which I can understand.

Can't really go wrong at 150k. The David Speedie comparison sounds about right too. We know we're not going to attract the likes of Henry to Rovers (we'd do well to get Henry's Cat), but I'd rather have a battler like Dickov than a lazy playboy like Yorke.

Incidentally, it does look like Souness is making positionally like-for-like swaps in the transfer market this season to replace underperforming/dissenting players. Dickov in, Yorke out. Matteo in (hopefully), Todd/Babbel out. Pederson in (hopefully), Andreson out. He clearly feels he's got the balance of the squad right, but key players have underperformed and it looks like he's fine-tuning to get the best out of the rest of them. Judging by last season I think he's right. With 2 or 3 astute signings and the removal of people like Babbel, Todd & Yorke (who have made no secret of their reluctance to play for club and/or manager) I think we'll be back to the level we were the season before. I'd settle for that.

Can't really go wrong at 150k. The David Speedie comparison sounds about right too. We know we're not going to attract the likes of Henry to Rovers (we'd do well to get Henry's Cat), but I'd rather have a battler like Dickov than a lazy playboy like Yorke.

Incidentally, it does look like Souness is making positionally like-for-like swaps in the transfer market this season to replace underperforming/dissenting players. Dickov in, Yorke out. Matteo in (hopefully), Todd/Babbel out. Pederson in (hopefully), Andreson out. He clearly feels he's got the balance of the squad right, but key players have underperformed and it looks like he's fine-tuning to get the best out of the rest of them. Judging by last season I think he's right. With 2 or 3 astute signings and the removal of people like Babbel, Todd & Yorke (who have made no secret of their reluctance to play for club and/or manager) I think we'll be back to the level we were the season before. I'd settle for that.

hammer....nail...head

• 2 weeks later...

been chatting to a leicester fan today who was fixing my work lap tops virus and he was telling me he was gutted dickov has gone he said he is best player he seen at leicester since linekar ewas around.........after id finished laughing i thought mmmmmmmmmm??interesting. dry.gifbiggrin.gif

been chatting to a leicester fan today who was fixing my work lap tops virus and he was telling me he was gutted dickov has gone he said he is best player he seen at leicester since linekar ewas around.........after id finished laughing i thought mmmmmmmmmm??interesting. dry.gifbiggrin.gif

Hope we end up with the same idea about him.

But I doubt that biggrin.gif

There is no doubt that Dickov was enormously popular with the Leicester supporters.

The good news for Rovers is that Dickov will set a level of determination nd commitment below which our established forwards cannot fall without being replaced.

I should imagine at this stage, Souness is thinking in terms of Cole and Stead starting games with Dickov being introduced with 20 minutes to go to produce new problems for the opposition defenders.

been chatting to a leicester fan today who was fixing my work lap tops virus and he was telling me he was gutted dickov has gone he said he is best player he seen at leicester since linekar ewas around.........after id finished laughing i thought mmmmmmmmmm??interesting. dry.gif  biggrin.gif

There is no doubt that Dickov was enormously popular with the Leicester supporters.

The good news for Rovers is that Dickov will set a level of determination nd commitment below which our established forwards cannot fall without being replaced.

I should imagine at this stage, Souness is thinking in terms of Cole and Stead starting games with Dickov being introduced with 20 minutes to go to produce new problems for the opposition defenders.

I like what you say Philipl. I can see Dicov really getting worked up if things are not going our way and maybe giving Mr I couldn't give a stuff Cole a talking to aswell when he starts to go off the boil

About the point where you say that Souey will start with Stead and Cole and then bring on Dickov to mix things up. All I can say here is that I feel sorry for Gally as thats what I thought his job was.

been chatting to a leicester fan and he was telling me he was gutted dickov has gone he said he is best player he seen at leicester since linekar ewas around.........after id finished laughing i thought mmmmmmmmmm??interesting. dry.gifbiggrin.gif

Maybe thats what Linekar should have done circa 14 years ago! rover.gif

Pity really cos Linekars refusal to take Jack Walkers revolution seriously meant that we had to make do with Shearer instead! wink.giflaugh.gif

Pity really cos Linekars refusal to take Jack Walkers revolution seriously meant that we had to make do with Shearer instead! wink.giflaugh.gif

Sorry to be pedantic but his refusal meant we had to look elsewhere for a striker to spearhead our promotion challenge (Don Mackay was manager when we bid for Lineker) and so we actually had to make do with David Speedie instead.

Pity really cos Linekars refusal to take Jack Walkers revolution seriously meant that we had to make do with Shearer instead! wink.gif  laugh.gif

Sorry to be pedantic but his refusal meant we had to look elsewhere for a striker to spearhead our promotion challenge (Don Mackay was manager when we bid for Lineker) and so we actually had to make do with David Speedie instead.

You are quite correct FLB. I bow to your superior pedantry. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah - he did score more goals than Mr Cole.

I can't see how we can presume Dickov will be our number one striker next season anyway (J. Stead?). Not when Souness said in the LET on Tuesday, as I've previously pointed out, that if they release some players it would enable them to "go again" into the market. I would have thought reducing the wage bill by £55k a week (or even half of that figure as is rumoured) would enable us to go looking for a replacement for Cole.

Whether there is time to get one in - or indeed Cole does actually leave anyway - of course remains to be seen.

Shearer will stay at Newcastle for the rest of the season, then he'll retire and become a coach/manager in a minor club, before he takes us to Champions League in 2008 !

EDIT: Anyone who knows why my signature doesn't "work"?

Edited by herbergeehh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.