BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone else up for being a bit less quick to criticise?

I think your over reacting a bit too quickly there in deciding not to be too critical, too soon.

All the noises coming out of Ewood suggest that Cole will be here next season. Cole wants to stop and we don't want to sell (WBA were told to take their interest elsewhere I think I read). So, as I've already said: -

Dickov is a good signing IMO (+10 PL goals, £100,000, 8 other clubs after him = a bad player?). If he turns out to be a load of rubbish, doesn't try, and adds nothing to the spirit of the squad then I'll hold my hand up (again).

If Cole was to leave (let's be honest anything could yet happen) I can only presume that we'd be in the market for a replacement.

For those saying we need a signing to "excite" the fans. I agree. But as Brian Potter once said "I want to moon walk son, but it ain't gonna happen".

We haven't got a load of cash to blow (a similar situation to a lot of other clubs) if we can pick up a couple more signings (left winger/midfielder / centre half / right back / replacement for Tugay - er, hang on...) then great, we'll have done well on a limited budget.

Unfortunately our going out and blowing £7.5 million on a player, such as Kevin Davies have gone. Now that would have been exciting.

On paper it looks a reasonable deal. £100k for a player who got 13 prem (or whatever it actually was) goals last year.

However what concerns me is what it means for us next season. I certainly don't want to see Cole replaced by Dickov, or Stead for that matter. And Gally needs to be given 1st team opportunities when he can. So I'd hope that he'd be a squad player for us really.

But what leaves me feeling a little disappointed is that I just don't rate him as a player. Yes he's very good at scrapping for the ball, but I'd like us to have a little more ambition than that. To me this almost seems like we're saying "right, its backs to the wall again next season". It strikes me as a step backwards, a short term signing at best.

It's just a little underwhelming, and whilst I'm sure he'll give 100% for us, which is what we like to see, this all has the same taste to me as Ashley Ward. Yes, he'll run around all day, but in the premiership, you sometimes need a little more than that. Of course we can't sign Henry or players like that, and I don't know of anyone else we could have signed for that money (although personally, I'd have looked at defence, then midfield before I looked at our front line for transfers this summer). But this transfer has failed to excite me. By all means I hope he proves me wrong, but I can't see him being anything more than a squad player and someone we play from the bench when we're 2 down, and we need to lump the ball forward and have someone kick at defenders ankles.

All in all, a disappointing start to the transfer period, although I hope I'm proved otherwise come August.

Hughesy,

Everton also have Campbell, Jeffers and Ferguson.

Boro have Nemeth, Christie and Ricketts.

Just for once, try posting something that is accurate. It won't kill you.

Ferguson and Campbell are more injury prone than duff and dunn.

Rickets and Chrsitie are both @#/? as is nemeth.

Im sorry but Gallagher, Stead, Cole and Jansen are a better strike option than the other clubs mentioned. If that isnt the case then why were Middlesborough looking at Cole?

Arsehole, say something constructive nxt time. laugh.gif

Installing a smiley doesnt excuse personal insults - Whilst lively debate is encouraged, personal attacks are not tolerated. This will be enforced in all sections of the board.- Alan75

Edited by Alan75

We can't ignore the fact that Stead may be found out a little next season - so a willing experienced hardworking striker to play alongside Cole while Stead and Gallagher continue their education for £100k. For me it's an absolute steal - and like Gray could turn out to be an inspirational signing.

Look on the bright side - he is more effective than Yorke laugh.gif

For those saying we need a signing to "excite" the fans. I agree. But as Brian Potter once said "I want to moon walk son, but it ain't gonna happen".

"If my aunt were a man she'd be my uncle" is another fitting one.

Kinda says a lot about Waggy's friend if they won't renew a season ticket because we added some depth for 100,000. Suprised they didn't throw their book on the pitch when we signed Encks. Bet they were ###### about the signing of Gray too. Shocked they still even have a season ticket after we signed Brad, even though he wasn't needed and had failed in the Prem.

I'm not inspired at all by this signing, but can't really complain about it either, as long as Cole isn't going anywhere that is.

We already have 2 young exciting stikers in Gallagher and Stead. Cole has proven he can still cut it with the best and be our number 1. Yorke is on his way and there's still a lot of questions to be answered about Jansen

Personally I'd love us not to sign another striker and the Cole/Jansen partnership be as good as it was in 2002. Just as much I'd love a Gally-Stead partnership to be a massive success. Thing is we don't know this is going to happen, so a fifth stiker IMO is important.

It's better we spend 100k now on an experienced player than have to panic buy come January. As has already been pointed out, we've spent a lot more on less quality players in the past.

He works hard, he works intelligently, and does posess a fair bit of pace.

For all those not happy about this, just spare a moment to think about some of our other great strikers of recent years..... Ward, Blake, Ostenstad.... Grabbi ohmy.gif

Welcome aboard Paul

Instead of analysing this transfer too much we should just ask ourselves the question "Who would you prefer, Yorke or Dickov??".

The 100k fee is nothing when you look at what we are paying Yorke to sit around and do nothing.

For me it's smple...

If he comes to replace Yorke, it's a good buy.

Cheap and he works on the field.

If he cames to replace Cole, bad buy. Cole still has one or two good years in front of him.

We can't ignore the fact that Stead may be found out a little next season - so a willing experienced hardworking striker to play alongside Cole while Stead and Gallagher continue their education for £100k. For me it's an absolute steal - and like Gray could turn out to be an inspirational signing.

Don't get me wrong, i love the idea of youth coming through the ranks and succeeding for Rovers. We've produced some fantastic youth players in the past and they've don'e excellent for us.

BUT - we haven't got any youth players of good enough quality yet. The likes of Barker and Garner are coming through but not right now.

For the time being, we have this proven goal scorer with the work rate of about 70 horses. So lets enjoy the few years of service he gives us whilst Barker and Garner are getting older and ready for the big time.

I just read through the entire thread and I can't say anything that hasn't been said already. If anyone wants to know why this is a good signing, you can find the reasons in the preceding four quotes. Finally, I'll say one more time what Oklahoma said (and what I've said from the very beginning) because it bears repeating:

If Dickov is being brought in as a replacement for Cole, then yes, a mistake is being made. If, as it seems, Dickov is being brought in to take Yorke's place, then it is an excellent move. End of story.

If Dickov is being brought in as a replacement for Cole, then yes, a mistake is being made. If, as it seems, Dickov is being brought in to take Yorke's place, then it is an excellent move. End of story.

I move that we pin this statement and be done with all this arguing.

Bellamy11 - that is fair enough but you will have to specify something else for those so inclined to be able to whinge about.

It's blatantly obvious that some on here are only happy when they are moaning. It's one thing to have your say when you are put out but it is completely different to criticise every single decision by the club. There is a difference between being concerned for the club and of being so self-centred as to grab at every single action by the club in a desperate and selfish desire to satisfy their own need to berate, heckle and accuse. Some just want to point fingers and hurl abuse. Sometimes debates on here resemble public hangings in the need to see somebody scapegoated.

Serious question - What proper Rovers fan would stop going to Ewood because we buy Dickov as a squad player? This is ridiculous for a signing of 100 K. Luckily the polls prove that the majority of Rovers fans have their feet on the ground. The vast majority think it is an ok signing for the money. Big deal. No need to go jumping out of windows but no need to put on an open-bus parade either.

Some people are desperately in need of a sense of perspective....

So let's pin that on the board like bellamy11 said and chill out a bit.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

As I posted several weeks ago, I think this is a sensible signing.

It's almost worth describing it as a signing we couldn't afford not to make simply because of the release clause and therefore the fee, which makes it almost a free signing.

If Dickov is coming to provide strength in depth, then it's of a rare quality (proven) and better off at Ewood than on the bench of one of 8 direct rival teams (I'm assuming the top 5 weren't in for Dickov).

I think he'll be more than a bench warmer, because he'll make it impossible for Souness to leave him out. Who drops out remains to be seen - Stead because he's a half-season wonder, Cole because he reverts to type (lazy whinger), Gallagher (not there yet and much to learn on and off the pitch) ...

... whatever happens, freshening things up in the striker department is a must - everyone can see that. If we get the bargain of the season in that department then the limited funds we have available can buy better talent in other areas.

all agree he is another bad buy.

Waggy

Coming off what you have said - this comment stands out here as a typical reaction from the majority of Rovers fans.

Instead, of looking at the signing in the context of what it is in terms of price and our current predicament they are quick to jump and criticise.

Yes there are alot of sneer from oppostion fans but only beacuse it is not a major name signing , and IMO as a signing in general speaking only is not a good one for the club Blackburn Rovers in terms of long term and S/T sales.

However as I have said, this is only generally speaking - now what I feel people need to look at here is the situation come the first Saturday of the new season and to see if Dickov is the only sigining of the Summer and if Cole is still here. We are not akin to know what Souness has in mind or the signings he wants - funds are probably going to be the decisive factor here - and the price at what PD has come at could well be a steal.

Personally, I feel he is taking a hit and miss on Jansen this season and just needs the cover at a very good price. Who knows we could see the 're-birth' of MJ

PD can score goals and has proven it in the P/L in a bad team - gamble or no gamble it is a gamble we can afford to take without too much loss if it does not work out - unlike Grabbi

Time will tell whether this is a good or bad signing so lets just wait and see as nobody knows what his role is to be yet.

If he's a replacement for Yorke then no problem at all. For the money I don't think we could have got any better. He may not be the best in the world but his attitude seems to be spot on & he is more suitable as a mentor to our up & coming stars than Yorke & possibly even Andy Cole.

Don't get me wrong, Dickov is not in the same class as Cole on the pitch but off the pitch Cole is not a good role model. tinykit.gif

If you wanted to get a Scotland striker cheaper who is better and younger I'd have gone for Stevie Crawford from Dunfermline (actually he's out of contract- oh and he gets a game for Scotland and scores more goals!!)

Paul Dickov is uninspiring at best and if he's to take over from Andy Cole- I hope you all enjoy the first division!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.