BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

Paul Dickov is uninspiring at best and if he's to take over from Andy Cole- I hope you all enjoy the first division!

Really? Just a Celtic supporter now are we Jan?

As for Stevie Crawford laugh.gif , it's not our fault Berti is as thick as the proverbial pig's excrement, Dickov is a much better player, I bet you'll try and convince us we should have signed Kevin Kyle in a minute...

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Dickov is uninspiring at best and if he's to take over from Andy Cole- I hope you all enjoy the first division!

Hope you enjoy the Champions League Jan, then the Uefa Cup directly after of course...

Hey- Nationwide or Premiership, I'll always be a Rovers fan. Will you?

If you wanted to get a Scotland striker cheaper who is better and younger I'd have gone for Stevie Crawford from Dunfermline (actually he's out of contract- oh and he gets a game for Scotland and scores more goals!!)

Hmm I think you'll find they've scored about the same amount of goals for Scotland, Crawford maybe edging it - he has got more caps after all. But then, judging by your closing comment you probably don't support Scotland just now because we aren't doing very well, eh?

I support Scotland whatever.

I thought I'd made it clear that I wouldnt be getting a Rovers season ticket this year- or for the foreseeable future- nothing to do with the first division (indeed I'd have been more likely to have got one there because he'd no longer have been manager- if the Board had any sense.)

Stevie Crawford- 20 caps 4 goals

Paul Dickless- 8 caps 1 goal

Edited by Jan

Simon Garner praises the signing of Dickov then he says this:

"He reminds me of another Scot I played alongside when I was at Ewood Park, David Speedie.

Speedie was a much better player and scored more goals than Dickov but he did a similar job and had the type of experience that Dickov can bring."

is it still a complement or an insult

If Dickov is being brought in as a replacement for Cole, then yes, a mistake is being made.  If, as it seems, Dickov is being brought in to take Yorke's place, then it is an excellent move.  End of story.

Spot on. thumbs-up.gif

I voted 'Good buy for the money', because we know what we're getting with this signing. I'd rather see a player like Dickov on the bench than Yorke, even if he only comes on towards the end of a game where his style of play will put the pressure back on their defenders.

I also think that he'll be a good player to call upon when we have to out-battle opposition, rather than outplay them. We've always struggled to take points from teams playing in the lower quarter of the table, who are happy to put players behind the ball and defend. If we can't play around them, Dickov gives us the tenacity upfront to try play in a more direct fashion.

It would be nice if we could promote a youngster from the reserves or spend more cash on a promising young striker, but upfront isn't the area we're desperate to improve in. What limited budget we have will be better invested elsewhere in the team. I'd rather have Dickov and a half-decent left winger than spend money on an Earnshaw/Ashton and only have a little left, making it harder to sign a left-sided midfielder.

My only concern is that this may push Gally (and to an extent, Jansen) further down the pecking order and potentially hamper his progression. (Digressing slightly - before the Dickov signing, I thought Gally would be in the frame to make a big impact next season, with other teams focussing on Cole and Steadinho upfront, leaving Gally to make an impact when he was on the pitch (as he did against Man Yoo))

If Dickov's here to replace Cole (which I think is highly likely although the rumours are still around), then we are in big trouble.

I support Scotland whatever.

I thought I'd made it clear that I wouldnt be getting a Rovers season ticket this year- or for the foreseeable future- nothing to do with the first division (indeed I'd have been more likely to have got one there because he'd no longer have been manager- if the Board had any sense.)

Stevie Crawford- 20 caps 4 goals

Paul Dickless- 8 caps 1 goal

Well if you've made it clear you won't support Rovers whilst Souness is still here, then why are you still here? Why don't you leave us to supporting Rovers and you go and post your negative smart arsed comments elsewhere.

Jan, just out of interest, is the reason that your not getting a season ticket purely down to the fact that Souness is still manager, or are there other reasons as well?

I think that generally, when Mr Souness has bought someone from relative oscurity he has bought well.

Friedel

Tugay

Gray

Todd (on the pitch)

Neill (up to the season just gone)

I do appreciate that there are others who have not made the grade.

So I'll reserve judgement, but I'll be quietly optimistic about Dickov. A move out of Leicester might just galvanise him into action.

rover.gif great signing my arse,souness has just garaunteed another bad season,paul dickov is a good 1st division player at best. tinykit.gif

*yawn*

Don't let him wind you up. The man clearly knows nothing about football and just enjoys winding people up.

rover.gif listen you yorkshire pudding,if i was going to support a team,other than my OWN TOWN TEAM,i would pick one that wins something now and again.

ps have the team got a keeper tomorrow,or is orvil 'the cat'making another diasater,i mean appearence. tinykit.giftinykit.gif

rover.gif listen you yorkshire pudding,if i was going to support a team,other than my OWN TOWN TEAM,i would pick one that wins something now and again.

ps have the team got a keeper tomorrow,or is orvil 'the cat'making another diasater,i mean appearence. tinykit.giftinykit.gif

Working mate and the football season has finished.

rover.giftinykit.gif

ps have the team got a keeper tomorrow,or is orvil 'the cat'making another diasater,i mean appearence. tinykit.gif  tinykit.gif

Working mate and the football season has finished.

The football season is never finished. tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.