BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that he signed a two-year deal is excellent news. Had Rovers put a three year offer on the table for Dickov it would have been too long in my opinion, but two years is the perfect amount of time for Dickov to be here before he steps aside to make room for the (by then hopefully) emerging Derbyshire, Barker, and Garner.

taken as a whole most teams needs a least five forwards, due to the fact that players get hurt, lose form etc, so at 150k it is a very good signing.

other fans and some of our own) might laugh now, but it will be us who is laughing at the end of the season when he has scored 10-15 goals, nice on GS thumbs-up.gif

Edited by des

I bet Dickov has a better season than Stead, and if not, I'll buy a Nike Stanley shirt and get 'Pringle' on the back.

Pringle 9 or Pringle 21?

I'd wait a bit anyway, Big Col should be calling me anytime soon to play for Blackpool.

I bet Dickov has a better season than Stead, and if not, I'll buy a Nike Stanley shirt and get 'Pringle' on the back.

Pringle 9 or Pringle 21?

I'd wait a bit anyway, Big Col should be calling me anytime soon to play for Blackpool.

One day Pringle...

One day.

For the money, and as a replacement for Yorke it's a good signing and I do think that he'll score a few goals, as well as make a few. He's a different player to Cole and I do think that in the last 15 minutes of a game he's the sort who will really run the oppo's tired defenders ragged, hopefully allowing Stead more space to score a winning goal or two thumbs-up.gif And if he's son is a Rovers fan then he's going to put in all the more effort to make his kid proud cool.gif

Think back 2 months. Start of April. If we'd been told in two months time we'd have been looking forward to another season of Premiership football, as well as signing an International striker with 14 goals in the Premiership that season, we'd have all been pinching ourselves.

Ok, so he's not a glamourous name. We're not being linked to Zidane or Batistuta, those days are long gone. Things have evened themselves out, and signings like Dickov are ones we're going to continue to make. At the price we're getting him, he's an absolute steal.

Edited by Tugay4England

What I don't undertsand is that he reckons he spoke to other ex-rovers players about coming here and that confirmed it for him. That can't be true though because Jan knows everything behind the scenes and she said that every ex-player hates Souness' guts.

That was the reason they were all going to be so fired up when they beat us and she was right about that wasn't she. blink.gif

Edited by Manchester Blue

Ok, so he's not a glamourous name. We're not being linked to Zidane or Batistuta, those days are long gone. Things have evened themselves out, and signings like Dickov are ones we're going to continue to make. At the price we're getting him, he's an absolute steal.

So there's no happy medium between Zidane, Batistuta and Dickov? huh.gif Signing players of Dickov's ability is all we can expect because we can't attract superstars? That's a slightly skewed argument.

In the cold light of day though, Dickov could be a useful signing. At least he'll give a sh*t.

So there's no happy medium between Zidane, Batistuta and Dickov? huh.gif Signing players of Dickov's ability is all we can expect because we can't attract superstars? That's a slightly skewed argument.

In the cold light of day though, Dickov could be a useful signing. At least he'll give a sh*t.

Not skewed in the slightest. Dickov is our happy medium. He is a very good player. The idea that he's not doesnt seem to be based on any sorts of facts whatsoever.

Point is, our fans don't seem to have realised that we cannot compete for the biggest players any more. We're a small club who's fans have a big club mentality. Thats the reason so many of them seem to think Dickov is a bad buy.

You could say we're a big club who's fans have a small club mentallity. ohmy.gif

You could, but you'd be wrong.

Why? because we only get 23/24000 gates? JW's money sees to the difference between us and other better supported sides. Apart from that, why are we a small club?

You could say we're a big club who's fans have a small club mentallity. ohmy.gif

Why? because we only get 23/24000 gates? JW's money sees to the difference between us and other better supported sides. Apart from that, why are we a small club?

We're a small club, from a small town, surrounded by dozens of other small clubs, and a few massive ones.

If it wasnt for 10 years of huge investment, we'd be down with Burnley and Preston. If we were lucky.

Edited by Tugay4England

We're a small club, from a small town, surrounded by dozens of other small clubs, and a few massive ones.

If it wasnt for 10 years of huge investment, we'd be down with Burnley and Preston. If we were lucky.

Before this debate gets silly I think it's important to point out that before Uncle Jacks money, Rovers were at least one if not two divisions above Burnley, Preston, Bolton, Blackpool etc.

Without Jack's money we wouldnt be a Premiership club. Because for a club/town our size, our natural level is below that. We got lucky. But one day we'll end up back where we probably should be, by rights. We're punching well above our weight even now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.