BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

Wasn't there a similar debate about whether or not the player was good enough or that the club showed no ambition when we signed Andy Todd, he ended up being one of the best players last season.

It's probably that incident that has led me to stop shooting my mouth off over every signing we make. When Todd was signed I was completely against it and thought it would be a disaster. Todd eventually impressed so much that I had to post how he had shown me to be utterly wrong in the middle of last season. Of course he then spoilt all the good walk by walking out of Ewood on the eve of a game but that doesn't negate the part he played. By that time Todd had proved himself to be a good member of the squad to have, something that Tris had mentioned numerous times but myself and many of those posters on here now up in arms about this signing had disagreed with.

Dickov seems a similar signing- cheap and to be a squad player, meaning he could be first choice but only if he played out of his skin. This time I'm going to give the guy a chance before deciding he is a poor signing. I'm going to see just what he offers our team first. It's be nice if other posters could do the same, especially as they've been proved wrong before. I've learnt my lesson regarding shooting my mouth off thanks to the likes of Freidel, Stead and Todd either proving me wrong or at least performing better than I expected.

Is there anyone else up for being a bit less quick to criticise?

What's that noise I can hear???

Oh, right....

"On my own, on my own, on my own...."

Fair enough.

biggrin.gif

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A striker was needed, but signing Paul Dickov, no matter how hard he works, is hardly an inspiring transfer, that will excite the fans. I know that we don't have much money, but there are better players out there who we could get in on a free transfer. However, I will support Paul and hope that he can score a few goals for us.

If Dickov's as bad as some people are making out it doesn't say much for our current strikers, on the basis he scored more than them all last season (Stead apart).

If he comes in, scores say 10 goals from sub appearances and filling in for injuries then it's a damn fine bit of business, no 2 ways about it.

I'll be leading the standing ovation come the first day of the season and anyone round me not partaking will receive a swift clip round the ear thumbs-up.gif

A striker was needed, but signing Paul Dickov, no matter how hard he works, is hardly an inspiring transfer, that will excite the fans. I know that we don't have much money, but there are better players out there who we could get in on a free transfer. However, I will support Paul and hope that he can score a few goals for us.

What's all this twaddle about 'inspiring the fans'? This is Blackburn Rovers! I doubt even Zidane would fill our ground!

Signing Andy Cole (a Massive signing at the time) hardly added thousands to the gates did it? blink.gif

Leicester scored 48 goals last season and Dickov scored 13 of them, thats not a bad return really. I would imaginge he has been bought in as a replacement for the (hopefully) departing Yorke. Instead of analysing this transfer too much we should just ask ourselves the question "Who would you prefer, Yorke or Dickov??".

The 100k fee is nothing when you look at what we are paying Yorke to sit around and do nothing.

The 100k fee is nothing when you look at what we are paying Yorke to sit around and do nothing.

EXACTLY!

You'd think we'd paid a few million for him the way some people are bleating!

Doubt theres many 100K strikers who scored more than 13 in the prem last year unsure.gif

I know that I might be a bit think, but oif Dickov is so bad why then was eight other clubs after him biggrin.gif

don't you understand its all a conspiracy against us! they pretended to want him and then souness heard and hurried to splash the cash after seeing Dickov bagging in a pen on video... blink.gif

Wasn't there a similar debate about whether or not the player was good enough or that the club showed no ambition when we signed Andy Todd, he ended up being one of the best players last season.

It's probably that incident that has led me to stop shooting my mouth off over every signing we make. When Todd was signed I was completely against it and thought it would be a disaster. Todd eventually impressed so much that I had to post how he had shown me to be utterly wrong in the middle of last season. Of course he then spoilt all the good walk by walking out of Ewood on the eve of a game but that doesn't negate the part he played. By that time Todd had proved himself to be a good member of the squad to have, something that Tris had mentioned numerous times but myself and many of those posters on here now up in arms about this signing had disagreed with.

Dickov seems a similar signing- cheap and to be a squad player, meaning he could be first choice but only if he played out of his skin. This time I'm going to give the guy a chance before deciding he is a poor signing. I'm going to see just what he offers our team first. It's be nice if other posters could do the same, especially as they've been proved wrong before. I've learnt my lesson regarding shooting my mouth off thanks to the likes of Freidel, Stead and Todd either proving me wrong or at least performing better than I expected.

Is there anyone else up for being a bit less quick to criticise?

What's that noise I can hear???

Oh, right....

"On my own, on my own, on my own...."

Fair enough.

biggrin.gif

Good post FLB!

we need experienced cover up front and dickov fits the bill,price wise its as good as we can afford and leaves us able to spend more on covering more essential gaps with the rest of the transfer budget.

In my opinion there's two ways at looking at the reasons why he has signed and what reflection this has on our club one is naturally positive while the other negative:

A: he's chosen us over 8 other premiership club because he feels we are the best.

B: he feels that our competition for places is not as strong as the others and he'll play more football with us.

C. He thinks look at how long Yorke's been there doing nothing for his money, I'll have some of that please.

and he played for the scum ! mad.gif

At first i thought this was a bad buy...... Until I saw the price. 200K is what you'd expect to pay for a failing striker like Stephan Iversen or a useless keeper like Ricardo. However we have a player who can score over 10 goals in a season therefor this is a good deal but not the most important signing we will make.

Lets just hope we dont get Henry Camara 7 goals in 32 games is not impressive whatever language you speak. As for Van Buyen the 4m asking price is as tall as the empire state building for us so i cant see it going through.

i can see the plus and minus of this:

minus - as a few people have said, he's not the most exciting signing, and it's probable that the only thing he will add to the team is a bit of depth

however...

plus - in the good old days we'd be throwing around millions of pounds for players of a similar calibre. so in that sense it could well be a good bit of business.

though this deal hasn't exactly made me pee myself with excitement, i hope mr dickov does his job for rovers and bags a few goals too.

What's all this twaddle about 'inspiring the fans'? This is Blackburn Rovers! I doubt even Zidane would fill our ground!

Signing Andy Cole (a Massive signing at the time) hardly added thousands to the gates did it? blink.gif

Inspire the fans that do go.

Not a bad signing, not the best either. Ive gone for the squad player behind Steady and Cole, as have most people I think. The worry is that he's Cole's replacement, lets just hope he isn't, because that would verge on being ludocris. A good grafter, gets the odd goal, but apart from last season, he's been a very average division one player, that's my concern. One season doesn't make a player. He could barely make Citeh's bench two seasons back. Lets just hope Souey will use him as a bit part player, and then it will be seen as ok bsuiness by the club.

rover.gif when i first heard the news he had signed,it was that dingle on radio lancs who announced it,and he was having a smirk or two about it.i went to work,talked to a few rovers fans about it.

none were impressed,one said' thats it i ain't buying a season ticket this year'.

at break time someone had a telewag,and the comment's by non -roverite's were less than favourable.

this board has maybe a 1,000 members of which half post,and of which 50 post the majority of post's.of these i think quite a few are at work,pissing about on the net when they should be doing something else,ie working.

i honestly think any poll on this topic,is going to be baised,there has been quite a few who have voted it a bad move,and only 3 who have posted there views on here saying so.the bitchness of some members because you hold a view that does not go with the flow is unbelievable.

i am a grass root fan,i work in a factory amongst other rovers fans,and not one has said,what a brilliant signing,not one has said he ain't bad,all agree he is another bad buy.

but the saving grace,he has not signed yet and anything could happen,finger's crossed.

ps is tom pringle =john williams. tinykit.gif

rover.gif when i first heard the news he had signed,it was that dingle on radio lancs who announced it,and he was having a smirk or two about it.i went to work,talked to a few rovers fans about it.

none were impressed,one said' thats it i ain't buying a season ticket this year'.

at break time someone had a telewag,and the comment's by non -roverite's were less than favourable.

this board has maybe a 1,000 members of which half post,and of which 50 post the majority of post's.of these i think quite a few are at work,pissing about on the net when they should be doing something else,ie working.

i honestly think any poll on this topic,is going to be baised,there has been quite a few who have voted it a bad move,and only 3 who have posted there views on here saying so.the bitchness of some members because you hold a view that does not go with the flow is unbelievable.

i am a grass root fan,i work in a factory amongst other rovers fans,and not one has said,what a brilliant signing,not one has said he ain't bad,all agree he is another bad buy.

but the saving grace,he has not signed yet and anything could happen,finger's crossed.

ps is tom pringle =john williams. tinykit.gif

yeah great point, i have asked a few that don't post and they think he's not great, but when they had a think about it, £100,000 and consider him a replacement for Yorke as most hate Yorke then it looks better.#

The fact that Dickov has not even been able to get a regular starting role in the Scotish team in the last five years, when Scotland are crap is worrying but he did do half decent last season, but(again) then Blake and Ward achieved 12 goals in the PL in their careers before rovers transfers. A lot of but's for me to have confidence about the signing, hopefully we are going to see some better signings still, I expect so.

If it is intended to provide competition for places behind Cole and Stead I still don't think he's a patch on Gallagher or even Jansen so I'd put it in the "squad player, no better than what we've got" category.

The Jansen of today or pre accident?

If the former your comments fall in the "insane" bracket.

Let's at least give the guy a chance before writing him off.

Errr........ no not really, it's not in dispute that the post injury Matt has lost a certain "Je ne sais quois" but even now on an off day I reckon he's more than capable of running his socks off (like Dickov) and chipping in with 5 goals a season (like Dickov).

Still hope he doesn't sign, but if he does I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong.

P.S. You still sound a bit peeved I was right all along about Grabbi! tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.