BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well dean ashton from crewe will do for starters.

There's a name to get people queueing up at the turnstiles!

So on the assumption that Yorke is going that would leave Jansen (short of confidence), Cole (still class, experienced), Gallagher (still young and learning), Stead (had a great first season, can he repeat?) and then Ashton.

I'm assuming Ashton is young and inexperienced ... would that leave our forward line woefully short of experience?

i may think youth is the way forward.but did sir alex not also hold that view. :

Waggy- how can you possibly compare Sir Alex's careful nuturing of youth players over half a decade in some cases before gradually blooding them in the team, usually after loan deals at other clubs with your call to spontaneously throw in the youngsters, presumably just for the hell of it? The approach you suggested is infintely less subtle and potentially far more damaging to the players than anything Ferguson would put his name to.

rover.gif beg to differ,the 3rd premiership season fergie started with all his youngsters,they got hammered 3-1 at villa and hansen said YOU WIN NOWT WITH KIDS,which utd did,they won the league,

yes beckham went to preston,and the nevilles and scoles to bury or stocprt,but were have danns-donnely-harkins etc been in the last few years. tinykit.gif

He's young and looks good in some games, and then hardly touches the ball in others. Has experience though, been playing for Crewe for years. He would also cost a lot more than 100k though, it's a well known fact that he is/was a promising player. Now if Waggy had known this 5 years ago maybe we'd have something to talk about, but now you're looking at millions for a player who hasn't lived up to his early hype.

i may think youth is the way forward.but did sir alex not also hold that view. :

Waggy- how can you possibly compare Sir Alex's careful nuturing of youth players over half a decade in some cases before gradually blooding them in the team, usually after loan deals at other clubs with your call to spontaneously throw in the youngsters, presumably just for the hell of it? The approach you suggested is infintely less subtle and potentially far more damaging to the players than anything Ferguson would put his name to.

rover.gif beg to differ,the 3rd premiership season fergie started with all his youngsters,they got hammered 3-1 at villa and hansen said YOU WIN NOWT WITH KIDS,which utd did,they won the league,

yes beckham went to preston,and the nevilles and scoles to bury or stocprt,but were have danns-donnely-harkins etc been in the last few years. tinykit.gif

David Beckham, the Nevilles and Paul Scholes are all England internationals with undoubted pedigree as layers of the highest calibre. This was apparent as soon as they were all about 19 years old. The fact that they lost in their first game (first post-Cantona game) is immaterial.

I'll give you £500 if Danns is good enough to go on to be England captain.

Well, imo we've bought an average first division player who gives us absolutely nothing that we haven't already got. The plus side is that it hasn't cost us too much money.

Well he certainly doesn't play like any of the forwards we already have so I don't know what you mean with that, I can tell that from the limited amount that I've seen him. Dickov is a handful for opposition defenders, getting in their way and disrupting their game which certainly none of our current forwards do.

Look- it's a couple of hundred grand. A cheap boost to the squad to replace the hapless Yorke who is a pale shadow of his former self. People are looking to much into this. It's similar to the Todd signing a few years ago. People were up in arms (including myself I must admit but that's because I thought he was a prat rather than it being about his talent or lack of it) but what do you expect for a squad player? The only way he'd be our main striker is if he put in some fantastic performances and we could hardly complain about that then could we?

Can we have a poll on which injury he's going to pick up 1st?  tongue.gif

Dont be silly, theres no need for a poll! Its going to be the old hamstring

But hamstrings are soooo 2003/4! I fancy metatarsels to make a comeback - they never really took off first time around.

I think Dickov could be a good signing but, like most others on here, I hope he's not a replacement for Cole. I think he does give us something different to what we have. We have no-one to match his work-rate for a start. He can receive the ball to feet with his back to goal and, crucially, control it. He can turn quickly and get shots at goal or win free-kicks around the penalty area.

But who's going to play the ball to his feet? - Yorke and Cole have constantly been trying to control balls fired to them at chest height - a foot above head height for Dickov! Who's going to make runs from midfield to receive the ball from Dickov when he has his back to goal? And who's going to take the free-kicks that Dickov wins?

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the signing. He's a handy player to have around but we'll need to change the way we play to get the most out of him. How many times next season will we hoof the ball upfield in his general direction expecting him to beat a 6'4" defender in the air? How many times will an Emerton cross fly just over his head? And what is the answer to Unleaded's quizzz? We'll just have to wait and see.

Can we have a poll on which injury he's going to pick up 1st?   tongue.gif

Dont be silly, theres no need for a poll! Its going to be the old hamstring

But hamstrings are soooo 2003/4! I fancy metatarsels to make a comeback - they never really took off first time around.

Actually I think hamstrings were 2002/03, last season was the year of the knee. biggrin.gif

Edited by owenrilla

rover.gif and i'll give you a million if dikov scores 30 goals next season. tinykit.gif

Where was it suggested that he would?

Dickov is a tryer but that is about it. Crave some signings that excite me!!!!!!!!

by the way, anybody from the bristol area going to games next season, know there is a south west supporters branch but have not contacted them yet. need a match buddy or buddys!!!! help!!!

rover.gif and i'll give you a million if dikov scores 30 goals next season. tinykit.gif

rover.gif and were did i say danns would captian england tinykit.gif

rover.gif and were did i say danns would captian england tinykit.gif

There's a direct link between that and your comparison between Danns, Donnelly and Harkins, and the Manchester United youngsters that have all gone on the regularly represent England.

So, what point are you making with the 30 goals statement? Assuming you did have a point to make....

Who are the nutters who are voting the first option?

Leicester City - 97 games 37 goals

Manchester City - 182 games 41 goals

Brighton & Hove Albion - 8 games 5 goals

Luton Town - 15 games 1 goal

Arsenal - 26 games 7 goals

That's a scoring ratio of a goal every four games (near enough). A lot of those were in lower divisions too.

There is nothing to suggest that last season wasn't a fluke, to label him a goalscorer after one good season out of 13 or so is insane. He was playing in a team that suited his style, an ugly style that involved playing alongside a big striker.

If he's anything more than 4th choice then we've just taken a step backwards.

Edited by LeChuck

Whilst this signing hardly sets my pulse racing I can see the merits in it.

He puts in the work and keeps defenders on their toes and he's not a bad finisher either. He's cost next to nothing and unlike previous signings, we know what we're getting - 100% commitment.

Let's face it, if we'd had 11 players with the same application as Dickov last season there'd have been no flirtation with relegation.

I admit he's not a Shearer, Sutton or even Jansen but those days are long gone, I suppose it's something we'll have to get used to.

Who are the nutters who are voting the first option?

Leicester City - 97 games 37 goals

Manchester City - 182 games 41 goals

Brighton & Hove Albion - 8 games 5 goals

Luton Town - 15 games 1 goal

Arsenal - 26 games 7 goals

That's a scoring ratio of a goal every four games (near enough). A lot of those were in lower divisions too.

There is nothing to suggest that last season wasn't a fluke, to label him a goalscorer after one good season out of 13 or so is insane. He was playing in a team that suited his style, an ugly style that involved playing alongside a big striker.

If he's anything more than 4th choice then we've just taken a step backwards.

Sack race.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.