BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm hoping Hughes is of similar calibre to Curbishley and that he will also be at Ewood for many years. We have had too many managerial changes. I'm also hoping that we are not grooming the next ManU manager.

Good God, I totally agree with you.

I'm going to pop open a mini-Moet.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back at the Dickov v Cole debate........... fair points Tris. And just one further point before Jim diverts the subject entirely - filthy lucre. Weigh up the cost of relegation (that of course wouldn't be a consideration if he was still here) vs the saving we're making by having Dickov here rather than the hands-on-hipster (and his £1m loyalty bonus that he'd have trousered at the end of the season). We won't have the answer on that one for another few months, but I'd say so far so good.

Back at the Dickov v Cole debate...........

Just can't help wondering what the outcome of Cole & Dickov playing in the same team would be like?

One would be buzzing around like a blue-arsed fly, the other would be hands-on-hips waiting for the next precision through-ball.

I know which I would prefer.

Back at the Dickov v Cole debate...........

Just can't help wondering what the outcome of Cole & Dickov playing in the same team would be like?

One would be buzzing around like a blue-arsed fly, the other would be hands-on-hips waiting for the next precision through-ball.

I know which I would prefer.

I'm gutted to say that I think the outcome would be fantastic.

One would be forced to take his hands off his hips and revel in the chances his new partner would create for him. And as he has the rare gift of finding non-existant space, and the other rare gift of popping up in the right place at the right time, he'd have enough chances to bag an absolute shedload.

Unfortunately, his qualities don't extend to being challenged for an automatic starting spot, or speaking to lesser mortals who work hard and aren't in the same bracket when it comes to God-given natural talent.

So we were never allowed to find out.

I'm hoping Hughes is of similar calibre to Curbishley and that he will also be at Ewood for many years. We have had too many managerial changes. I'm also hoping that we are not grooming the next ManU manager.

Think it through Jim. If Hughes is selected to be next MU manager it will be because he has done a siht-hot succesful job at BRFC. Something to be much sought after rather than dismissed out of hand? huh.gif

Edited by thenodrog

Better than Dickov and Cole would have been keeping the Cole-Stead partnership that was working fantastically well at the end of last season.

One of the big disappointments this season has been the decline of Jon Stead. Is the departure of Cole the reason ? - the two events are not unconnected in my opinion.

Better than Dickov and Cole would have been keeping the Cole-Stead partnership that was working fantastically well at the end of last season.

One of the big disappointments this season has been the decline of Jon Stead. Is the departure of Cole the reason ? - the two events are not unconnected in my opinion.

Cole was the one who refused to honour his obligations to play football for his employer. And as Stead admitted to the LET during his purple patch, Cole hardly ever spoke to him on or off the field.

So I doubt that partnership would have flourished in the long term.

Cole's inexcusable attitude towards Teddy Sheringham was - I'm sure - one of the reasons why Alex Ferguson was happy to cash in on him when the money was good.

Cole's inexcusable attitude towards Teddy Sheringham was - I'm sure - one of the reasons why Alex Ferguson was happy to cash in on him when the money was good.

I think it's more likely that Ferguson sold Cole because Rovers wafted 8 million pounds under his nose and Cole was not a first team regular anymore.

I agree. I also think Cole was vindicated in ignoring Sheringham (they still worked well together on the pitch) if the reason for their falling out is what everyone usually says it was...but I really don't want to open that can of worms.

I was one of the ones who wanted us to sign Dickov as long as he wasn't a replacement for Cole, but I've switfly gotten over it. Dickov has served Rovers better this season than Cole has Fulham, and for probably a third of the wages.

I agree. I also think Cole was vindicated in ignoring Sheringham (they still worked well together on the pitch) if the reason for their falling out is what everyone usually says it was...but I really don't want to open that can of worms.

Without opening it up for debate.......can you fill me in as to what the rumour was?

Without opening it up for debate.......can you fill me in as to what the rumour was?

Not a rumour, I think it's been substantiated. (ha! does this still mean it's a rumour?)

One of them (not sure which) had a shot on goal and missed when the other would have had an open goal if the other had passed.

"Ooooh you selfish cow!"

Then they stopped talking to each other and one of them planted a hedge of enourmous Leylandii trees and blocked out all the light from the other's garden. So the other one ordered lots of pizzas to be delivered at the other's address.

Etc etc. All very mature stuff.

• 5 months later...

Got to remember that Dickov played a lot of matches with a groin injury and you could tell by watching him that it affected his play.

With our lack of options up front and the severity of the situation we were in, we had to play him.

I think he is an excellent player to have in the squad. His contribution to us last season was enormous and you cannot forget that.

Got to remember that Dickov played a lot of matches with a groin injury and you could tell by watching him that it affected his play.

With our lack of options up front and the severity of the situation we were in, we had to play him.

I think he is an excellent player to have in the squad. His contribution to us last season was enormous and you cannot forget that.

327929[/snapback]

If the worst comes to the worst and we fail to sign any of our other targets the partnership of Dickov with Kuqi will provide little finesse and lots of blood sweat and toil, BUT I cannot imagine many centre half partnerships relishing playing against them.

• 3 weeks later...

Good spot, John. I wrote the obvious in responding to their question... that as Dickov was purchased for a mere £150,000 and his goals helped save us from relegation, he most certainly was a hit.

Dickov's popularity certainly took a hit over the second half of the year as he struggled with injury and the task of playing up top in a 4-5-1, but he never complained whilst turning in a season worth of gutsy performances for the club. I'll admit that as this summer has approached, I've overlooked Dickov a little bit with delusions of bringing in a Bellamy and McCarthy strikeforce, but I think if we're all realistic then Dickov will certainly have a role to play next year. I can't see him starting for the simple fact that he and Bellamy don't seem to complement each other well, but he'll be a valuable asset off the bench and in those starts he does make we know the effort we'll get.

Thanks for your hard work so far, Paul, and let's keep up that work in the coming season.

I would bet odds on Rovers are looking for a second front line striker to play alonside Bellamy so Dickov will be competing with Kuqui and perhaps Matty for a place on the bench.

He did what was asked of him last season and with his groin healed is likely to be capable of being even more a handful this season.

Interesting poll by that article- get voting lads!

• 4 weeks later...

"At the time I did not think it was that bad but having looked at it again, I have no excuses. I went straight in and and apologised to Paul Konchesky afterwards. It is all very well being passionate and aggressive but I can't condone that."

He won't be able for Rovers again till September 11th.

Dickov only has 10 Scottish caps. " I have never thought about quitiing. I am disappointed I don't have thaat many caps and I want to play for as long as I can at both club and international level.You always make yourself available and it is up to the manager to pick you. I will be the first one to hold my hand up if I can't do it.I will know myself because my game is basically about fitness. If that starts going then that will be it. Hopefully I will play here. I am not going to get any club football in the next few weeks si if I get selected on Wednesday it will be a chance for me.It would definitely give me a chance with the qualifiers coming up."

LET

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.