BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stolen by the Ref

I was just going to say a word or two about sitting back and defending a 1-0 lead for the majority of the game, a tactic the English on here hate the Italians for, but England never do that themselves so I won't bother...

I heard that humble pie they are serving now is really tasty tongue.gif

Must say, I have been quietly impressed by the way the Norwegians have played so far...what's that you say? Didn't even qualify? My mistake then. As you were...

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devastating. I can’t actually describe how I feel at the moment.

We didn’t play well enough in the game tonight. The midfield tonight was very poor compared to previous games. They couldn’t keep the ball and pass it about.

Portugal’s midfield were able to keep the ball moving which therefore created numerous of chances.

The start we made to the game was brilliant, a great little finish for Owen. Does show he only needs a chance and he scores. Portugal’s first goal was a very poor goal to concede from a defensive point of view.

There were two England players on the far side with one Portugal player on the ball. Beckham for me didn’t get close enough to the winger which allowed him to get the cross in. Even if Beckham puts him under pressure, what would the chance be of the winger putting a good cross like that in?

As for Terry, he should have defended better. He was ball watching and allowed the attacker to have a free header. I don’t know if anyone noticed but David James was telling Neville and Beckham before to get closer to the wingers.

Rui Costa’s goal was brilliant, no stopping that I’m afraid.

As for the ref, he was pathetic. These tournaments are about having the best countries from the continent competing for a trophy. The ref`s should be the highest quality and he wasn’t good enough. It just wasn’t the disallowed goal which I’m coming to; it was a number of fouls that he gave against us.

Nothing wrong with the goal that Campbell scored. The goalkeeper stood there when Terry and Campbell jumped for the ball, not at the keeper. But the way how we kept battling was brilliant, Lampard scored a cracking little goal.

As for the penalties, you can’t have a go at someone for missing if they have the nerve to step up in probably one of the most nerve racking situations, they deserve credit for it.

Beckham missed his third penalty in a row. I’m not having a go at him but Beckham has to think why he’s missing them. The miss from him tonight was like the one in Turkey. The way he approaches it is wrong. I’m no expert about taking penalties but surely the more you lean back, the chance of hitting it over is a great one. But credit to him for stepping up.

Beckham in my opinion hasn’t played well enough this tournament. He’s looked average and out of place. Hasn’t shown the qualities that he possesses in crossing a dangerous ball in.

Vassell, you have to feel so sorry for him. His miss was just as bad as Beckham`s, but will be magnified as it put Portugal in a position to win it. I thought that Vassell worked his socks off up front, went on a good run, only to be fouled, certainly not the first foul in the game.

Overall we battled well, but didn’t show enough quality to win the game. The turning point in the game for me was the substitution of Rooney. When he left the field we didn’t have the same look about us. That’s not criticising Vassell, but the persistent way of the long balls up to Rooney and Vassell wasn’t going to work.

A special mention should go out to Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole, probably the two best players on the field. Defended brilliantly, Campbell should have had a goal to his name and Cole tackled Ronaldo brilliantly throughout the game.

As for the ref, he should stick to making watches and chocolates, an absolute disgrace.

A bit like RoverDrake. If you’ve got a point try and use it constructively, not childishly.

Portugal break England hearts

what a match  biggrin.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

(Please don't use that word again) OFF!!! withstupid.gif CHEATING HOME TOWN REFS!!!!!!!!IM FUMING!!

C'mon Abs, we're all narked off at the moment, but that's no way to talk to a lady. It ain't the Portuguese fault the ref was bent (but if there are any Swiss on the board, be prepared to get an earful)

SORRY IF I UPSET A FEMALE BUT THEY STILL GOT THRU BY A CHEATING SCUMBAG!!!HOPE THEY GET KNOCKED OUT NEXT ROUND THO ....CANT BELIEVE HOW TWINKLE TOES RONNNY SPUGGY EARS LAUGHED AFTER HE CAUGHT COLE IN THE HEAD WITH HIS BOOT ......BLOODY SWISS COWardySCCUM

First time i've ever been really disappointed with England not doing to well. Tonight's game showed how much we relied on Rooney's link up play with the midfield.

Owen and Vassell are too similar to play together, both like running onto a ball as Vassell showed to win the free kick that lead to the goal that was disallowed.

Have been very disappointed with Beckham's performance throughout the tournament, he's meant to be in the prime of his career and gave below than average performances every game.

Unlucky to be going home, but hope the Czech win it now.

what a match  biggrin.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

(Please don't use that word again) OFF!!! withstupid.gif CHEATING HOME TOWN REFS!!!!!!!!IM FUMING!!

C'mon Abs, we're all narked off at the moment, but that's no way to talk to a lady. It ain't the Portuguese fault the ref was bent (but if there are any Swiss on the board, be prepared to get an earful)

I think they're hiding at the moment laugh.gif

2ND OPINION WHAT DOES SHE EXPECT COMING ON AN ENGLISH BOARD AND GLOATING.....ROSES????

Why is it a free kick if you boot comes off?

Where exactly is there a push for campbells goal?

You're not allowed to play without your boots.

If you look at the replay, Terry has his arm on the goallies shoulder - stopping him from getting to the ball. Thought it was harsh but then didn't expect anything more from a very poor referee. He was in poor in his first match aswell and along with Terje Hauge (who also has been poor in the two matches so far) have been mediocre in an otherwise good tournament for the refs.

The team who scores more goals in open play should win, we did that but thanks to a complete tit, we didn't win.

Nope not sour grapes, FACTS.

I hope Sweden win it now. Good, honest hard-working team.

I'd hate to see the diving portugese win it.

As for that ref?!? Jesus christ mad.gif

As you must well know you've got little chance of getting there.

Ofcourse they're favourites, but their defense isn't impressive at all. And stranger things have happened. You gotta be optimistic, we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Apart from a place in the semi-final!

Well duh... but noone expects us to get there. We will have performed well even if we go out. Holland have much more pressure on them.

And not to anyone in particular:

Yes the referee was awful, but don't do what the Italians always do and solely blame the ref. He had a part in it, but Portugal were the better team too, don't forget that.

Well duh you seem to seeing as you haven't stopped chirping on for the last two weeks about wanting England in the semi as it would be an easier game for you lot.

Oh and to you in particular you can be assured the head of our FA will not be blaming it all on a fix. We still have every right to be bitter about one of the weakest referee's i've ever seen.

I was just going to say a word or two about sitting back and defending a 1-0 lead for the majority of the game, a tactic the English on here hate the Italians for, but England never do that themselves so I won't bother...

I heard that humble pie they are serving now is really tasty  tongue.gif

Must say, I have been quietly impressed by the way the Norwegians have played so far...what's that you say? Didn't even qualify? My mistake then. As you were...

I didnt think we were discussing Norway.. But if you want to, yes we suck, but we know it biggrin.gif

I heard that humble pie they are serving now is really tasty tongue.gif

No humble pie needed for me thanks as I made no predictions on what we would do. I leave rash predictions for the fools who said we would not make it out of the group.

Why is it a free kick if you boot comes off?

Where exactly is there a push for campbells goal?

You're not allowed to play without your boots.

If you look at the replay, Terry has his arm on the goallies shoulder - stopping him from getting to the ball. Thought it was harsh but then didn't expect anything more from a very poor referee. He was in poor in his first match aswell and along with Terje Hauge (who also has been poor in the two matches so far) have been mediocre in an otherwise good tournament for the refs.

The referee was miles away from the incident and could never have seen Terry's arm. Plus it was just plain bad goal keeping by Ricardo he let himself get caught under the ball.

If you look at the replay, Terry has his arm on the goallies shoulder - stopping him from getting to the ball. Thought it was harsh but then didn't expect anything more from a very poor referee.

The keeper actually moves into Terry hence why he ends up with his arm over his shoulder. Also the only actual raising of hands for a push in the incident (as the nob ref indicated) if you look closely was by the defender on Terry as he was about to jump.

David Beckhams reputation

Not wanting to say I told you so but I told you so. As soon as I heard the other day the ref was Swiss I had my reservations, posted it somewhere.

Why do we always seem to get screwed to go out. Sweet revenge for the Swiss I suppose. Very sad right now.

On the bright side it's saved me between $20 and $40 I would have paid for PPV had we progressed, too bad I'd be more than happy to pay that for a spot in the final.

The team who scores more goals in open play should win, we did that but thanks to a complete tit, we didn't win.

Nope not sour grapes, FACTS.

I hope Sweden win it now. Good, honest hard-working team.

I'd hate to see the diving portugese win it.

As for that ref?!? Jesus christ mad.gif

spot on ossy ,ANYONE BUT THE FROGS AND PORTUGAL FOR ME......

That's why the linesman called the goal back - he was in the proper position to actually see Terry's arm holding back Ricardo as he tried to go towards the ball.

It could have gone either way (the decision and the match), and that's the way life is.

2ND OPINION WHAT DOES SHE EXPECT COMING ON AN ENGLISH BOARD AND GLOATING.....ROSES????

Wasn't having a pop Abbey, but an Englishman is magnanimous in victory and courteous in defeat in my book. I'm as hacked off as you right now, believe me; but like you said, it's the ref you have to criticize, not the Portuguese.

If you look at the replay, Terry has his arm on the goallies shoulder - stopping him from getting to the ball. Thought it was harsh but then didn't expect anything more from a very poor referee.

The keeper actually moves into Terry hence why he ends up with his arm over his shoulder. Also the only actual raising of hands for a push in the incident (as the nob ref indicated) if you look closely was by the defender on Terry as he was about to jump.

David Beckhams reputation

JUST had same discussion on ythe mobilyle

That's why the linesman called the goal back - he was in the proper position to actually see Terry's arm holding back Ricardo as he tried to go towards the ball.

It could have gone either way (the decision and the match), and that's the way life is.

The linesman gave the goal. The ref disallowed it.

If you play defensive for 87 minutes you usually get punished. We would have had it not been for Lampards goal.

Bringing a small, fast striker onto the field of play and then hoofing it up in the air (Rovers style) for him and owen to win is useless. Why not bring someone on who was going to win it in the air. Heskey maybe?

Bringing on a defensive midfielder in the 52nd minute. Nice one Sven, really take the defensive game to them.

Neville, Terry, Sol and A. Cole. You're true lions, you battled for every ball, you ran after everything that even got past you. HEROES

The midfield 4, Gerrard - Battled, couldn't do much else. Scholes - Made his usual clumsy challenges, created a little bit. Lampard - Quiet at times, never made a true impact. And finally, David 'Media Darling' Beckham - That my lad, was a disgrace, you're supposed to be this england captain that leads by example and not one that shouts and rips into everyone. If thats the example you want the rest of the players to follow then we shouldn't have bothered. You've been off all tournament and will need to re-think your future at Real (If it's affected his game, surely it has!?)

Come on you Czech

I have to agree with that post 100% and it sums up EXACTLY what im feeling right now. Well, all but the Beckham part. Beckhams has by no means performed this competition, but once more this boils down to Eriksson; Becks is not a shouter, nor a captain, but he is doing his best in a position ERIKSSON put him in. Erikssons menality sucks. Chelsea are so lucky they didn't get him or else theyd be playing defensive, unispirational, negative football all season long.

Another stupid decision was to bring Hargreaves on - last sub and with extra time a real possibility. That meant we had no offensive options and thats why Portugal grabbed a goal. We were lucky Lampard scored.

I want Eriksson out asap. How are we to progress as a team when he persists with older players that havent made an impact and that keep 10 men behind the ball the moment we score. I wish we had lost in 90 minutes because the defeat would be so much less harsh on the players that gave their all.

*Becks desperately unlucky on the penalty - anyone that saw it would have seen his leading foot knocked sum mud which knocked the ball off the spot. He wrong footed the keeper and would have scored.

*Cole MOM by a long streak. What a player. Im eating my words saying that he would be unable to cope with Ronaldo, he did it brilliantly.

*Give Sol the captains armband

Squad strength and depth was a factor tonight, and could be again for the world cup qualifiers.

Figo wasn't having the best of games but was replaced to good effect. Beckham wasn't having the best of games, but there wasn't a handy replacement for him. Comparing both teams substitutions tonight, I think Scolari had an easier job than Sven, with the attacking options available to him.

Wasn't having a pop Abbey, but an Englishman is magnanimous in victory and courteous in defeat in my book. I'm as hacked off as you right now, believe me; but like you said, it's the ref you have to criticize, not the Portuguese.

NO probs morph but courteous ? and all that stuff sucks ....we lost and and gracious and that stuff is for losers and i hate it thumbs-up.gif and if spellings bad i pressed the check thingy .....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr im going to bed grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not you morph just life

Well duh you seem to seeing as you haven't stopped chirping on for the last two weeks about wanting England in the semi as it would be an easier game for you lot.

Oh and to you in particular you can be assured the head of our FA will not be blaming it all on a fix. We still have every right to be bitter about one of the weakest referee's i've ever seen.

Noone here has been going on about it for two weeks, hell I didn't even know which possible opponents we could have in the semis two weeks ago. And England WOULD be easier. Why? Because our full backs are our weak spot, and England have no wingers while Portugal has both very good wingers and attacking fullbacks. Not that they're necessarily a worse team.

I haven't mentioned the FA blaming it all on a fix, I was talking about the referee, like in the WC '02 where it was 100% Byron Morenos fault Italy went out. And again I haven't said you can't be bitter. I just said that it wasn't solely the refs fault you went out, had you outplayed them you would've won anyway. Probably.

Squad strength and depth was a factor tonight, and could be again for the world cup qualifiers.

Figo wasn't having the best of games but was replaced to good effect. Beckham wasn't having the best of games, but there wasn't a handy replacement for him. Comparing both teams substitutions tonight, I think Scolari had an easier job than Sven, with the attacking options available to him.

as in vassells or defoe?or heskhhehaw or beattie?robinson or calamity ...HE LOOKED AS SOLID AS A TOILET DUCK ALL TOURY?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.