BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

he was NOT good for the BRFC as a whole, if you dont want to play then out you must go.

Comparing his medal haul to that of Dickov is a joke. PD has never played a full season in a team full of superstars. He may not have the grace of top class striker but he certainly makes up for that with aggression and effort, and that is definately something you can never say about cole or dorke !

As far as we know it's Souness that Cole had a problem with and not the club. To suggest his conduct is "simply unacceptable" doesn't make sense when we have no clue what actually happened. In March Souness admitted that he had been in the wrong as much as Cole regarding their bust-ups. Unless you have heard something that hasn't come out in the press?

Cole and Souness are similar in that they can both start an argument in an empty room. If anything this is likely to be the fault of both parties. Most arguments are.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time, Andy Cole was a fantastic signing and I beleive every single rovers fan thought so. He then went on the immediately save us from relegation and subsequently win us the worthington cup.

I think Cole has been released because despite the hype on here about his bust-up with Souness, its the fact that we have several ver useful strikers available. With the signing of Dickov, plus Stead and Gallacher, we also have Matt Jansen who I'm sure Souness beleives in 100% for the coming season. Cole's loyalty bonus combined with astronomical wage (in today's climate) would not make financial sense to keep him at the club for an extra year.

he was NOT good for the BRFC as a whole, if you dont want to play then out you must go. His moping and sulks are not good for the club and IMo it is far better to rid the club of him and get someone else who can do a job.

Comparing his medal haul to that of Dickov is a joke. PD has never played a full season in a team full of superstars. He may not have the grace of top class striker but he certainly makes up for that with aggression and effort, and that is definately something you can never say about cole or dorke !

tinykit.gif

Dickov can't even get a place in the Scotland team now or over the last five years, i think comparing medal is a perfect assessment to be honest, Dickov has had poor players around him because he has no chance in hell playing for a top 3 team as Cole has.

Plus when Cole did have a decent partner in stead, i am sure the interview still exists on Roverworld where Cole said he plays for the fans who have been great to him and we have a great set of lads at Rovers, i thought it was a good response, obviously Cole has problems with Souness but I think he still played his part which shows some character at least.

Even when we first signed Cole he always lack great ethusiam but he was like that t United.

If you are not happy with me comparing medals, well I am not even going to start on comparing their career goal ratio, its not a contest.

Maybe if we compare who runs around like a headless chicken Dickov would beat Cole to that one.

No offense but I think there is a small possibility that you are trying a bit to hard to justify Souness's decision, ask yourself if against West Brom you would have liked to Stead and Cole or Stead and Dickov, honestly I can't believe anyone whould not select Cole.

But I do think that Souness has made it clear to Cole that he will not be starting, in every interview he has not mentioned his name, probably this put more pressure on Cole and then wanted to leave.

Edited by chris

I would imagine what happened last Monday will hit the media sometime this weekend - and I am talking about Cole v Souness - something happened at Brockhall and I am certain that Kamy might be able to put an angle on that if ever it makes the headlines.

handbags at 40 paces in the sandpit !! blink.gif

Andy Cole was a top class player, at Rovers he was still quality, his influence in keeping us up and winning us the worthington cup was shadowed only by jansen and friedel, we will miss him enormously and the pressure this is placing on a striker who has shown alot of promise but has only played a handful of premiership games, a striker that has only broken into double figures for goal in the premier league once, a striker who has an awful lot to learn before he can be considered a starter and one who was once one of england's brightest young talents and is now not even close to premiership standard. This is crazy if we do not buy someone who will guarentee goals and has experience up front it is criminal. Not to mention what Stead and Gally could have learnt of a top performer like Cole, oh well local derbies next season anyone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ham/3902743.stm apparently Fulham are taking his £60,000 wages over. didnt think he was on that much, thought he was on 40,000 at the most. good luck to the boy if he has blagged that much money off us

In the last two weeks, his slary has gone from around £40k, to £45k, to £50k, to £55k and now £60k each time the story is updated in the press.

I wish I had a job that was like that !

I was chatting with a mate of mine who's a Fulham season ticket holder last night and he seems to have mixed feelings about Cole, as do other Fulham supporters. They appreciate when on form he's class, when he's not he's ordinary to say the least.

What was more illuminating is that he tells me that the Cottagers have waved goodbye to over a dozen players since the end of last season, and are down to a first team squad of around 16 players. He also said that "Super Mo" isn't likely to be bankrolling them anywhere near as extensively in the future. The Fulham fans are genuinely concerned for this season.

So if Andrew is looking for an easy ride with this move, he might be in for a shock!

well i said i wouldn't but I will, Dickov IMPRESSIVE (not) stats

92-93 Arsenal 2 Goals, 3 Games (-)

93-94(déc) Arsenal 1 Games (-)

93-94(avr) Luton Town 1 Goals, 15 Games (-)

93-94 Brighton and HA 5 Goals, 8 Games (-)

94-95 Arsenal 0 goals 9 Games (-)

95-96 Arsenal 1 Goals, 7 Games (-)

96-97(déc) Arsenal 0 goals 1 Games (-)

96-97 Manchester City 5 Goals, 29 Games (-)

97-98 Manchester City 9 Goals, 30 Games (-)

98-99 Manchester City 10 Goals, 35 Games (-)

99-00 Manchester City 5 Goals, 34 Games (-)

00-01 Manchester City 4 Goals, 21 Games (-)

01-02(fév) Manchester City 0 goals 7 Games (-)

01-02 Leicester City 4 Goals, 12 Games (-)

02-03 Leicester City 17 Goals, 42 Games (-)

03-04 Leicester City 11 Goals, 35 Games (-)

keep in mind many of these are in div1 and in div2

Edited by chris

rover.gif do not worry he is only here as a squad player,or that is what most of the blue ans white eyes on here thought when he signed.

we will have no problems if we start with gally ans stead,if sourness sticks with dickov ala lucas niell,we will be in the mire after 10 games.

I should add I don't have anything against Dickov stats are stats and facts are facts, I think he would make a good "squad" player.

Souness quoted in the LET today ""I've got to mention little Paul Dickov. I think his movement this year will make us a different team all round," mused Souness, as he reflected on a satisfying night's work."

Souness has had this attitude the second he signed Dickov, I really don't know the whole story but Cole must have felt little option but to leave with Souness's attitude, its evident Souness treally didn't want him, and a unwanted Cole is going to move on now.

I don't know waggy, getting rid of Cole's wages (if they are 60k/week) means we could bring in someone for 1.5 mill and pay them 30k/week. Or someone for 2 mill and pay them 20k/week.

If we got rid of the Trinidadian parasite, Count of Monte Fisto Todd, and Flipflop, we can add a fe more too. rover.gif

Chris

the stats are unarguable thats for sure.

its just a pity that workrate and effort cannot be statistified

but imho

putting cole against someone like dickov it would show AC is far far way behind him.

I cannot and wont argue against goal ratio but compare it to assists I do not think that the difference would be too far apart.

Rmun mentions mr harrods

well I agree that if Cole doesn't put in any effort to assist his new team then he will be one of those UNTOUCHABLE players and it will be all down to himself.

if only I was earning 60k a week eh ? cool.gif

Well, heck, if medals are what count, why aren't we going after Phil Neville?

Medals aren't always a true reflection of a players worth.

As an example, the greatest player in the history of the Premiership(in my opinion) only has one medal.

And he won that with us!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Cole's gone- he had great technique, vision, skill and movement. He was however sadly lacking in his ability to finish well (the difference between him being a great player and a good one) and consistency.

Dickov is infinately more limited, but I would not rule out him being more effective for Rovers next season than Cole would of. He is going to shake up defenders and give Stead space.... and we have Gallagher to come on if we need a bit of quality on the ball. Alll is not lost and certainly not millions in wages.

The saved cash could be used to look at someone like Nicky Butt and a veteran striker.

Medals aren't always a true reflection of a players worth.

As an example, the greatest player in the history of the Premiership(in my opinion) only has one medal.

And he won that with us!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Ian Pearce?!?! Only one medal? Wow! laugh.gif

Well i think we are dissapointed that Cole's leaving he's beena top class at Rovers. Look on the bright side though his massive wage will be of the wage budget and maybe this will free up cash for future transfer. I'm sure we've got enough players in: Stead, Gally, Jansen & Dickov to score us goals. But it's still a big disapiontment to see one of our best players leave.

People can try to justify it by saying he saved us £20 million by keeping us up...and he may well have done...but we could have spent that £7 million on a much younger player who could have done the same job.

I don't think he was a bad signing at the time Le Chuck, yes his goals did save us. We can say his goals saved us about 20 mill but in reality it could have been much more, there is a strong possibility that if we had gone down that year we could still be floundering so it's impossible to say.

I think we have had good return for our spending where we have gone wrong is keeping him too long. Should ahve been looking to ship him out half way through the season before last.

Your question about the younger strikers is a bit of a rhetorical one, who exactly was available that could have been a shoe in to do what Cole did. It is all shoulda coulda woulda type stuff, judgements and opinions formed with the benefit of hindsight.

The transfer market was still inflated back then, if you remember we got Cole because we were pipped to our first choice by Leeds. That first choice was one Robbie Fowler and he went for ELEVEN million, we lost out on personal terms. IN retrospect we should be thanking our lucky stars we got Cole instead.

Of course I am disappointed we are getting nothing for him but just having him off the wage bill will be a big help. It will have been hard for Rovers to cap their salaries when Cole is pulling in 50 Grand a week for doing pretty much nothing in terms of effort, can't everyone see how that must have made other players feel. I think it would have cause a general malaise within the club and it has showed.

All will be well without Cole, you'll see everyone, don't worry be happy.

Was it my imagination, or did I detect a real work ethic in Cole in the latter part of last season, chasing no end of lost causes.

No it was not your imagination. Does half a dozen games at the end of a season really make up for the last 1-3/4 seasons of sulking, standing with hands on hips and being caught offside, I think not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.