BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

We will miss Cole badly. For all the effort Dickov will give us he isn't fit to lace Coles boots in footballing terms. I'd rather see Stead and Gally given a chance.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the managers inability to communicate with players. He may well rue not telling Flitcroft he will no longer be captain to his face. As I understand it Flticroft is very much a favourite in the dressing room, which will no doubt work against the manager.

What rubbish. If you had any understanding at all you would know the reasons behind Flitcroft being removed. Flitcroft knew full well he wasn't going to be captain this year. Souness told Flitcrofts agent he was being replaced, which was quite generous in the circumstances.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greggy, there's this wonderful thing available these days its called TV. Its really clever and allows people in other countries to see the goals.

Every now and again this crap comes up, I suppose you'll be throwing comments at me as well as I don't have 6 generations of family from Blackburn

Duff - sad enough we couldnt afford to say no to £17m

Ugh how many more times... HE HAD A £17m RELEASE CLAUSE IT WAS OUT OF OUR HANDS ONCE CHELSKI BID £17m rolleyes.gif

Ughhh- It was only out of our hands IF Duff wanted it to be . Some of us believe , with good reason , that Duffy was "encouraged" somewhat by our board to make the move so we could get our hands on all that lovely money..... rolleyes.gif

Greggy, there's this wonderful thing available these days its called TV. Its really clever and allows people in other countries to see the goals.

Every now and again this crap comes up, I suppose you'll be throwing comments at me as well as I don't have 6 generations of family from Blackburn

biggrin.gif yeah i have said that to USABlue before, but I thik he knows his stuff, its not really a fair comment, but i will probably use it again biggrin.gif

Thank you Ricky, you said it nicer than I was going to.

I was delighted when Cole signed as he was the kind of class signing I thought was out of our range-compare him with some of the other strikers signed before him.

In my opinion he has helped us win a cup, contributed greatly to our staying up in 2 potential relegation seasons as well as helping Stead make an excellent start to life in the Premiership.

We do not have a replacement for him on the books. I doubt if we have the money,or Souness the nous,to get a suitable replacement.

What rubbish, it seems to me Mr Cole has one of the worst strike to goal ratios I can remember since Ken Beamish, don't you remember the one where he missed from only a few feet out with the goal gaping.

I had the exact opposite feeling I thought he was going to smack it right at the keeper.  Damn near did too.

Why so trusting of Cole, didn't Dickov actually score more than him last season.

He did, but I'm just stating my preferances.

Besides, Dickov scored one more goal and played one more match than Cole, so the goal ratio isn't that different.. wink.gif

EDIT: Wow, after rechecking my sources I found that Dickov played 35, Cole 34, and both of them scored 11 goals last season.

Edited by herbergeehh

Actually I was talking about attempts at goal vs goals scored rather than games played. Greggyk, what difference does my global proximity to Ewood have to do with whether I saw the miss. It's a shrinking World my friend. Not sure what point you were trying to make but it's lost on me, and apparently one or two others, try again son.

Actually I was talking about attempts at goal vs goals scored rather than games played.

There's more to Cole's game than just the goals he scores. For example, as others have said, I'm sure Stead wouldn't have made anything like the same impact had he been partnering Gally, Yorke or Jansen towards the back end of last season.

Cole's one of the few class players we have left. And now it looks like he's going. Possibly to be replaced by a journeyman like Dickov. It's a tragic state of affairs.

What rubbish, it seems to me Mr Cole has one of the worst strike to goal ratios I can remember since Ken Beamish, don't you remember the one where he missed from only a few feet out with the goal gaping.

I had the exact opposite feeling I thought he was going to smack it right at the keeper.  Damn near did too.

Why so trusting of Cole, didn't Dickov actually score more than him last season.

He did, but I'm just stating my preferances.

Besides, Dickov scored one more goal and played one more match than Cole, so the goal ratio isn't that different.. wink.gif

EDIT: Wow, after rechecking my sources I found that Dickov played 35, Cole 34, and both of them scored 11 goals last season.

the fact Dickov did ok last year mean little to me, he's 31 years old, through his peak years he been close to crap when it comes to PL standards, Blake and Ward both scored 12 goals in a relegation season does not make them better then Cole who has a consistent record particularly when he has a decent partner with him (not Yorke).

Dickov has a lot to prove this season, was last season a fluke??? and anyway it was not that great, think about it Dickov best ever season is the same as Cole's poorest season by his standards, Stead and Cole looked good to me and yet again we have lost a good partnership, if i was being honest I would slate Dickov, but i am going to give him a chance with very little expectation

If Cole is allowed to leave without bringing in a suitable replacement first choice striker it will be an absolute disaster for Rovers (Dickov is NOT that man, he is a squad player, albeit a decent one bought at the right price). Purely considering the number of experienced strikers we would have left: three (including Yorke - who we are actively trying to get rid of, and Jansen, who has yet to recapture his pre-injury form) and two promising youngsters with limited Premiership experience. Even with Yorke and Jansen, one or two unfortunate injuries and that's our season over.

It's a shrinking World my friend. 

For some of us maybe. For Scotty new parts of it open up every time he steps off a train.

I'm very disappointed with the news about Cole. He's top quality when he wants to be. As others have said I was looking forward to us having two wingers and supplying him with a few more opportunities than we did last season. I'm not confident of us finding a replacement before January but fingers crossed. Let's hope Stead has been working on his heading - I can't see Dickov winning many flick-ons.

Cola is one of the worst headers of the ball I have ever seen play up front. Have a look at Dwight Yorke if you want to see someone win flick ons and proper heading. Cole has talents, heading is most definitely not one.

I like to see people win flick-ons but I'm not that desperate!!! Jansen's one of the best I've seen at flick-ons. Maybe..... Oh no. Forget that.

How was he right? It's Friday tomorrow and Cole still hasn't been sacked, the club have merely made it clear they will listen to offers, not pay him off.

I talked about this at work today. If the meeting about Cole's future took place on Monday, where he stated his refusal to work for Souness. How did Nixon have the story on Saturday. Unless a certain unscrupulous player or agent fed him the story to strenghten his hand as he was already determined to move away.

Alternatively it could have been an equally unscrupulous Manager doing likewise. Still doesn't make him right. Half right maybe or a little bit right, but then that's just half wrong as well isn't it.

How was he right?

You can be as pedantic as you want to be, and god knows I know you will be, but on this occasion the Nixon fella appears to have got the main facts of the story right. He said Cole was leaving after a bust-up with Souness and that seems to be what's happening.

How was he right?  It's Friday tomorrow and Cole still hasn't been sacked, the club have merely made it clear they will listen to offers, not pay him off.

I talked about this at work today. If the meeting about Cole's future took place on Monday, where he stated his refusal to work for Souness. How did Nixon have the story on Saturday.  Unless a certain unscrupulous player or agent fed him the story to strenghten his hand as he was already determined to move away. 

Alternatively it could have been an equally unscrupulous Manager doing likewise.  Still doesn't make him right.  Half right maybe or a little bit right, but then that's just half wrong as well isn't it.

You're being very argumentative! Are you that nice, friendly bloke I met a couple of times at the end of last season or someone that's nicked his computer? Give it back!

Nixon printed a story about Cole leaving. Everyone slagged him off for three days. Cole won't leave. It's media BS etc... There's a meeting. Rovers are now listening to offers for Cole. It doesn't matter how he came to get the info - he was still right.

EDIT - Okay maybe the word "Sacked" was wrong but that was probably just to grab people's attention...

Edited by Nuclearsox

Maybe I am being argumentative but in fairness this is what I said at the time

It does seem to be Alan Nixon every time. Either he has a real axe to grind or someone is feeding him with these stories. As I said previously the possibility of Cole leaving doesn't surprise me but for him to leave for free while we pay half his wages well sorry but i'll believe it when it's official but not in this rag.

As you can see I thought Cole may well leave just not with a big pay off and still on our payroll. I might be wrong about that and if so i'll be happy to admit it.

I have no axe to grind with you or Scotty i just really dislike lazy journalism, especially when it is a headline like that.

p.s your last line sums up my point, most people just accept that but it infuriates me that's all.

cheers

Edited by Manchester Blue

As Tris would say "show me the quotes" from either Cole or anyone connected with the Club that Cole has refused to play for Souness.

There were however direct quotes from Cole himself in the LET in the summer indicating he wanted to stay.

Let's be realistic here, the relationship between Cole and Souness isn't the best, we also face having to pay Cole a loyalty bonus at the end of the season and are therefore trying to get shut.

Whether it turns out to be a case of saving £1 or £2m and losing £20m remains to be seen.

As Tris would say "show me the quotes" from either Cole or anyone connected with the Club that Cole has refused to play for Souness.

There were however direct quotes from Cole himself in the LET in the summer indicating he wanted to stay.

Let's be realistic here, the relationship between Cole and Souness isn't the best, we also face having to pay Cole a loyalty bonus at the end of the season and are therefore trying to get shut.

Whether it turns out to be a case of saving £1 or £2m and losing £20m remains to be seen.

Having given Cole an undeserved holiday break after the away game at Southampton, what would you (you Revidge Blue) have done when Cole blew apart the whole concept of "team building" by his selfish acts later in the season ???

There were direct quotes in the LET that the above sums up exactly what happened.

As you say - let's be realistic. Can Rovers carry on with a mardy player who's milking the club and contributing less than nothing ?

No. Cole is a disgrace to his profession and whoever gets him is more than welcome.

Having given Cole an undeserved holiday break after the away game at Southampton, what would you (you Revidge Blue) have done when Cole blew apart the whole concept of "team building" by his selfish acts later in the season ???

There were direct quotes in the LET that the above sums up exactly what happened.

As you say - let's be realistic. Can Rovers carry on with a mardy player who's milking the club and contributing less than nothing ?

No. Cole is a disgrace to his profession and whoever gets him is more than welcome.

I agree with you Tris that I wouldn't have given Cole a mid season break. At the end of the day that was Souness's very strange call.

I'll have to disagree though as to your assessment re: Cole's contribution.

His unstinting efforts in the second half of the season and in partnering Stead were vital in keeping us up.

His run and cross led to the crucial own goal v Leicester at Ewood. Superb first goal v Fulham. Created Stead's goal v Everton.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.