BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

Blimey this is like a stock market crash or something.

"Bought too many stocks in Cole, now leaping off a window ledge is the only answer!"

Get it in proportion for goodness' sakes! Write-offs happen everywhere, it's not just us. "Laughing stock" I don't know!

Bunch of drama queens!

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn`t even call it a write off never mind a laughing stock. We all know that Cole had a huge contribution in helping us stay up a couple of years ago. God only knows how much that extra time in the premiership has earnt us but it must be a damn sight more than what Cole has cost us in transfer fees and wages.

I`m still not sad to see him go now mind. He just didn`t endear himself to me for some reason. Moody git.

The above just seems to confirms that Dickov was brought in as a direct replacement for Cole.....Souness has had it in for him since the season finished,he had no plans to play him.

SG194, that just doesn't make any kind of sense.

If that was the case they'd have got shut asap rather than paying him (apparently) over half a milliion quid since a ball was last kicked in the Premiership.

Instead he was welcomed back to pre-season and was a part of the squad to go to Germany until the very last minute.

Someone is now going to tell me that it was an elaborate half a million pound gamble to con people into buying season tickets and that this weeks events have been stage managed - just like Duff legging it out of Manchester Airport two years ago.

Let's try and keep a sense of perspective eh ?

blink.gif

There is now the case of a bright side if he does go. Despite seeiming astronomical at 55k, if it was that high plus the fact that there will be no 1million loyalty bonus, there will be some money left over. 1 million from LB, and hopefully a huge whak of what would have been a 55k a week payment, could get us a decent striker for the season.

Cole and Grabbi cost 14 million and with zero return....disastrous for our club and we all know who is to blame.

tinykit.gif and we all know whos to blame for getting us back into the premiership and into europe and wining the worthington cup and signing such good players as stead, thommo, brad, u no what i could go on forever but i have better things to do..... Play the PC at Chess!!!

Ps: Cole move than saved his transfer fee with his goals that kept us up and won us the cup! So you have to look at more things than just the fees. Look at shearer Cost newcastle £15million!!!! will leave for free!

Another £7m wasted. Time to add Cole to the list along with Grabbi and Davies

Would that money wasted include the money we made from staying in the prem ,last year and the time before and the cup money?

dummy spitter mard arse sulking etc yes

I'm sorry I don't agree with that. Davis and Grabbi were wastes, Cole was not. He was a good player, kept us up when we first bought him, and although many here disagree, his partnership with Stead was a big reason why we stayed up last year. Yes, Stead got all the plaudits but Cole worked his socks off for us.

£7 million kept TV money flowing, if we'd have gone down, it would have been a return to the days of 8,000 fans and mediocre teams.

Do you mean the time we came 6th and he got a paultry 7 goals?

He has cost us over £20m in wages, signing on fees and transfers and propbably numerous lost sponsorship deals.

That arguement is about as lame and spurious as the 'Emerton is great becasue he has got 40000000000 assists'

In what way is Cole a waste of £7mil. ? Having fired us to a League Cup win, Europe in two successive seasons and saved us from financially disasterous relegation, I'd say it was £7mil. well spent.

Whilst losing Cole is a blow, him being one of only a handful in our squad worthy of the tag 'World-class', it is not the end of the World. He is certainly replacable.

Working on the assumption that it was Cole who demanded the transfer, there is little the board, or Souness, could have done about it. Admittedly it'd have been good to get some cash for him but in the troubled financial climate the Premiership finds itself in, such aspirations were hardly realistic.

One final thing. Ask yourself this; why hasn't a bigger side than Fulham come in for him?

Cole's goals kept us in the Premiership in his first season here, so explaing to me how the 7 Mil was wasted?

As for being a laughing stock? that's what a lot of this is about isn't it, it's not what's best for the club it's about how much stick you have to put up with from the ManU fans in the pubs. Deal with it, it is in the best interests of Rovers in the long term. Cole and Yorkes lazy attitude clearly would have undermined the whole team, a sort of well if he can then I can thing.

I think Souness probably allowed the Coles and Yorkes too MUCH leeway, I don,t think the falling out is about egos either.

I think it is about Cole being treated easily, when other players started to complain Souness decided it was only fair to put his foot down, Cole tell's Souness but I'm Andy Cole, Souness says I don't care Cole says sod this I'm off. Something along those lines.

I cant believe cole was not going to be in the first team next season. Dickov is no good to play alongside stead.

He was a good player, and now we need a replacment who is just as good.

I'm purely looking at the financial loss,(WORTH 7 MILLION TO NOWT IN 2.5 YEARS??)yes Cole's goal's kept us in the Prem but I would have realistically thought we would have been looking at recouping at least 1.5 - 2 million for him as he's still clearly a quality player....how much did Boro pay for Viduka unsure.gif

Its my personal opinion that Fulham have got Cole on the cheap that bothers me, an Andy Cole who is STILL capable of coming up with the goods at the highest level....we have just merely concluded a lose lose deal here and nothing else.

As for the Grabbi deal, the less said the better......JHC!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Both clubs then agreed on the basis of a deal and now all that remains is for Cole to sort out personal terms with the Cottagers today. - LET

the above was the most worrying thing for me. assuming that it's a free transfer as stated in the same article, the above can only mean one thing. - we will pay part of cole's wages at fulham. either that or a swap for mcbride.

personally, i'm gutted. cole looks like he's able to command about a 1m transfer fee at least, and in this case, we're paying him to go. bad bad business, all because of souness' huge ego.

we better have a decent replacement lined up. if it's dickov, there's only one way we're going. down.

Both clubs then agreed on the basis of a deal and now all that remains is for Cole to sort out personal terms with the Cottagers today.  - LET

the above was the most worrying thing for me. assuming that it's a free transfer as stated in the same article, the above can only mean one thing. - we will pay part of cole's wages at fulham. either that or a swap for mcbride.

personally, i'm gutted. cole looks like he's able to command about a 1m transfer fee at least, and in this case, we're paying him to go. bad bad business, all because of souness' huge ego.

we better have a decent replacement lined up. if it's dickov, there's only one way we're going. down.

Cheers for that rational ending to your post vyeo withstupid.gif

Edited by Blue and White Army

Can't believe we didn't try to get something for him

...that all I wanted to say really sad.gif

The best deal would have been to insist that whilst they can have Cole for nowt they have to take Yorke as well.

btw wonder where that numbnuts Jezzard is? He's gone mighty quiet since the dodgy grocer pulled the purse strings shut.

That arguement is about as lame and spurious as the 'Emerton is great becasue he has got 40000000000 assists'

So, stats only count when they back your point up?

Woe Woe and thrice Woe! ohmy.gif Cole........Grabbi........Davies.......... Final and unequivocal proof if any were needed that transfer fees are history. RIP transfers. We will never see their like again.

Shame really cos the end of football as we know it is nigh. All the big money is being given to the players in wages with none going to the clubs.......it's a surety that the infrastructure of present day football is unsustainable. The money is quite simply being siphoned away by players and their agents to be reinvested in God knows what. There will be no money to develop grounds, improve facilities for spectators (who gives a flying one for them anyway?), develop young players, employ ex-players for the same purpose etc etc.

Quite simply football is about to be sacrificed on the alter of greed of its own making. Like a fire the more you chuck on it the faster it consumes it thereby speeding up its own demise. It's not the beginning of the end....that was down to George Eastham, Johnny Bosman, ITV digital etc...........this is the end of the beginning of the end. sad.gif

BTW this jinxed figure of BRFC and 7 million pound transfers...........does it not make you kinda nervous about Ferguson. huh.gif

So, stats only count when they back your point up?

If you want

As far as I know, it would be the board's decision to let him go for nothing, nowt to do with Souness. Hopefully we will not be paying his wages, that would be taking the pi$$.

Some people on here just want an excuse to work themselves into a good froth.

He has cost us over £20m in wages, signing on fees and transfers and propbably numerous lost sponsorship deals.

I agree, I think he was a bad signing.

Yes, at the time we needed a striker...but did we really have to spend £7 million on a player that we wouldn't see a return on? It was a poor decision and we will pay for it now because we won't have any money to replace him.

People can try to justify it by saying he saved us £20 million by keeping us up...and he may well have done...but we could have spent that £7 million on a much younger player who could have done the same job.

Shame really cos the end of football as we know it is nigh. All the big money is being given to the players in wages with none going to the clubs.......it's a surety that the infrastructure of present day football is unsustainable. The money is quite simply being siphoned away by players and their agents to be reinvested in God knows what. There will be no money to develop grounds, improve facilities for spectators (who gives a flying one for them anyway?), develop young players, employ ex-players for the same purpose etc etc.

Quite simply football is about to be sacrificed on the alter of greed of its own making. Like a fire the more you chuck on it the faster it consumes it thereby speeding up its own demise. It's not the beginning of the end....that was down to George Eastham, Johnny Bosman, ITV digital etc...........this is the end of the beginning of the end. sad.gif

Wrong thread Theno - this should be in the season ticket (non) renewal thread !

Depressing really ; low fan base , not enough money in the town , bunch of greedy ba$£ards dominating the game ....

Oh yes.......and Souness sad.gif

I am very dissapointed to say the least.

I can't understand some fans glee in the fact that Cole has left the club.

Was it my imagination, or did I detect a real work ethic in Cole in the latter part of last season, chasing no end of lost causes.

Yes, in pure statiscal terms his goal ratio wasn't particulary good. But sureley this was more down to the style of play we employed. Cole enjoys balls played through into the box from midfield for him to run on to or balls delivered from wide.

Did we do that? Can anyone honestly say we played to his strengths?

Of course we didn't!

We are going to be left with a strikeforce of Dickov, Stead, Gally and Jansen.

I am sorry, that is know where near good enough, nor strong enough.

sad.gifmad.gifsad.gifmad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.