BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

I feel the decision is ultimately right, people get all messed up by Cole's upturn in effort in the last half dozen games and suddenly he's a crowd favourite. Up til then he was getting (justifiably) a lot of stick from the crowd (and this messageboard).

That's about the most accurate statement I have seen on the Cole issue. It seemed like for a season and three quarters everyone wants shut of Mr Offside, hands on hips, won't chase, can't hit a barn door Cole, then he has a couple of games where he breaks a sweat and people think he's great. If he goes great, if he stays not as great.

For the Souness out bandwagon, does the report not say a decision was made at a board meeting,

Here's yet another for the 'Souness Out' bandwagon........... Was Cole's end of season flourish (that has clearly hoodwinked so many members on here) not come after Souness had torn such a large strip off him? huh.gif

Was it good pschology or a fluke? One comparison that I find particularly interesting is the number of people on here that came out in criticism of Kidd for being too soft yet have now done u-turns by accusing Souness of being too abrasive. tongue.gifsmile.gif

Personally and after thinking more about it (I admit that I too my have been influenced by Coles 11th hour performances and his last-man-off-the-pitch stuff after the last game) I think a sulking Cole in the final year of his contract and with some sort of loyalty bonus

would simply have been happy to take his 55K per week for as little a return as possible. In fact his need for revenge could even have resulted in him deliberately under performing and scheming in order to 'get even' with Souness.

Pot him OK but we need a replacement of real quality. All our other guys

as yet are merely 2nd strikers imo.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coles best work for us came in a balanced side-Duff+Gillespie, Dunn+Tugay.

Balanced?!? You're having a laugh! There's not a tackle between any of em!

You don`t think that his best work (for us) came with those players around him?

Coles best work for us came in a balanced side-Duff+Gillespie, Dunn+Tugay.

Balanced?!? You're having a laugh! There's not a tackle between any of em!

You don`t think that his best work (for us) came with those players around him?

It probably did, yes. But that team is far from balanced.

In fact his need for revenge could even have resulted in him deliberately under performing and scheming in order to 'get even' with Souness.

You actually beleive this???

So now you're telling me that you have never heard of the term 'player power'?

Can't say I'm that bothered about him going actually. Although I am very disapointed with the timings.

& to alarge extent - I agree with TND, apart from him deliberately playing badly!

As I didn't go to many games last season - I had to get the majority of my news from this messageboard. And if I had the time, or inclanation, I'd be able to go back to last season and count all the messages slating cole up until his 'falling out' with souness.

After this episode, I started to read things that said he was running after lost causes and generally putting in 100% - something that he has never really been known for at BRFC. I firmly belive Cole and his agent started to look for a new club in those last 10 games.

His record last season was pretty awful. So what if he was our top scorer....it was still a bad return for someone on 55k a week.

His record with us was great for 2 seasons and I guess that's what 7.5 million bought us. It kept us up and it helped us to win a cup. But we are in very different times now as a club and more importantly - we have a very new batch of players.

We are in new times, so we need to get rid of the old . that includes anyone who thinks he has a divine right to a place at any cost ( todd, flitty, cole all included) And its importnant that cole is sent home for germany now. We don't need his sulking affecting the whole teams preperations.

Unless there was a big shift in the board meeting yesterday, I suspect, like others, we'll go after radinski.

Miracle mode on..... The trustees have seen the light and realised we need a new hero. they sanction a bid for beattie as we had a % of the transfer fee due to us from beattie anyway, so it should be cheaper to us. he comes and leads us to european glory

realist mode back on..... keep dreaming andy

one last thing.

stick cole in the reserves until he caves in his wage demands for his new club and his pay off from us.

he won't want to spend the last year in the stiffs. he didnt want to do it at man u and he wont want to do it here.

its a risky game, but we should be playing hard ball on this one.

Pot him OK but we need a replacement of real quality. All our other guys

as yet are merely 2nd strikers imo.

TND I think you sum it up here in what the majority of people's feelings are - yes alot would like him to stay but I doubt if we have/had a quality replacement would overall not be too bothered. Keeping an unhappy Cole is not the answer- and as what keeps being said 'no player is bigger than the Club' regardless of who or what they have done.

My argument is against the timing of this all scenario - but as usual we will all be left guessing tinykit.giftinykit.gif

Sadly, Capt. most people on here have been slating the alternatives, such as Fowler, Radzinsky, etc., yet they would be no worse than Cole, and most likely at much lower wages. I think a big percentage wouldn't be happy unless we brought in Henry (and even then, I'm sure Kirslu would complain!!).

Cole was definitely bought for a stupidly high transfer fee for someone his age and a stupidly high wage for a club of our modest revenue.

However, letting him go now without a replacement could be a disaster.

Cole has a physical strength, (although that's not always obvious) - something that none of Stead, Gallagher, Dickov and Jansen have. So we'd be lacking in that regard. Imo we need someone like Cole to use his bulk to hold up the ball and provide a platform for our attacks.

I would say Dickov is much better at holding the ball up than Cole. The thing is my only worry with Dickov is his lack of goals, his overall play will be great as he will do loads of running and hold the ball up. Cole has scored 27 goals in 2 and a half years so it's not much to cope without is it.

I still think we need another striker if Cole goes but lets not kid ourselves that he is irreplaceable. If he was as good as some on here are making out then clubs would be beating down the door for him wouldn't they.

So now you're telling me that you have never heard of the term 'player power'?

Yes, I have.

However, I personally believe Andy Cole wouldn`t sulk and deliberately seek to get his revenge on Souness by playing badly.

Is all.

I disagree Mr. 6. Against Fulham, Stead did a great job holding the ball up towards the end of the match, despite the abuse he was getting. And he's still young enough to add the bulk needed to do that over a full season.

Looks like he may not go to Germany now. link

Interesting bit is where it says

'Cole's relationship with Souness has deteriorated to such an extent that the player indicated he was no longer prepared to play for the Rovers boss during a meeting on Monday.

If true what choice do the club and for that matter Souness have but to let him go now. I'd say no choice whatsoever.

Regardless of his playing ability, I'll be glad when his gone.

It seems he's got a "big fish in small pond" attitude after coming to Rovers from Man Utd.

That may be off-beam, but it's just my impression. I think the manager now favours work-rate and aggression over talent (that's not to suggest he wants a team of workaholic talentless players, just what his priority is ...)

LET

And they are hoping a deal can be struck with the Cottagers in the next few days, which is why Cole is unlikely to join the rest of the squad on their flight to Stuttgart.

Blimey! I could have sworn that the first game was tomorrow! What are they planning on doing? Parachute onto the pitch after getting changed on the plane? I thought they'd already left to be honest.

Well, unless what the LET is reporting is a load of nonsense, then there's no option.

See you Andy, and take your mate with you please, if you can find someone daft enough to have you both.

Losing Cole doesn't seem as frightening as it did yesterday, for some strange reason. Wondering who, if anybody is going to replace him is TERRIFYING!. Come on GS and JW, give us all a lift. blink.gif

Just being a bit pedantic , but if someone "indicates" that they are no longer willing to "work" for you , despite receiving wheelbarrow loads of dosh, doesn't that effectively break the contract between the two parties?

rover.gif good news if you ask me,let the king sulk-sulk on the kings road,pity we will be paying for it though,another master stroke by sourness tinykit.gif

rover.gif i aint a cole fan -to me he has been stealing his 55k for the last 2 season's,this is though another nail in sourness's coffin. tinykit.gif

You just quoted yourself for no apparent reason, and then slated Souness for getting rid of a player who you say has been "stealing" from the club.

What are you on about, Captain Contradiction?

Den r.e. Germany - Oh. That'll be it then.

Den r.e. Terrified - Surely he has to leave before we can replace him?

Ace - I'd have thought so - but I'm no expert. I'll try it later today and let you know (and I can't see any wheelbarrows round here).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.