BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

Well my answer would never be Cole simply because one player should never be able to remove the manager. I was behind Hodgson against Sherwood for the same reason. It's not because I blindly support the manager because anyone who sit's next to me would know that is not true. However for any club to succeed the manager must be in charge.

If Souness went instead of Cole and I came in as a new manager, i'm talking hypothetically so bare with me, my first action would be to get rid of Cole. I don't care how hard done by he feels, by going to the PFA he lost any respect I ever had for him, especially when he had recently had time off due him getting himself sent off once again.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the tears being shed over him leaving.

Of course our memories are of his end to last season when I thought he played very well- but I was comparing that with some disgraceful performances he put in the first half of the season, where he made some incedible misses time and time again.He did run his socks off, but that was when it became clear he was not doing it earlier in the season. Going to the PFA sums up the man, Souness must of been seething. Ferguson lost his rag with Cole and shifted him out because of the effect it had on the other squad members and it seems Souey is thinking the same.

I am not worried if he goes as I am sure we can get a decent replacement. Either way I dont think its makes too much difference.

Given that the majority opinion on this board was that Souness deserved to stay in his role because of what he had achieved in the previous seasons; then Cole should be made a life member of the squad for his achievements.

His goals alone kept us up in year 1, and he scored a fantastic winning goal in a cup final. He did the business in year two; and in year three, despite not having any wingers worthy of the name, his all round play and his goals, especially in the run-in were as vital as anyone else's contribution in keeping us up.

So I do not subscribe at all to the notion that we will be better off on the field without him. Assuming Jansen is finished, we've got two kids and a one-hit wonder journeyman up front. Excellent.

However, no doubt we will be better off financially without him. But who put him on $55k/week with a $1m bonus in the first place? Step forwards Messrs Souness and Williams.

Getting rid of deadwood like Ward, Carsley etc is one thing, but falling out with and then getting rid of his own purchases is quite another.

How long before Stead, Bazza and the rest fall foul of the great man???

I still don't know where that £55k comes from. I remember seeing when he signed that he was on £35-40k per week, and I've seen that number a lot of the time. But ofcourse, in the tabloids they add 25% to every players salary so it's an easy mistake to make.

Maybe the rumours of Robbie Fowler to Rovers for 2 million pounds grow louder each day.

I can't believe for a moment Souness believes that we will go into this season with what he has and be satisfied with it.

If we sign that has-been, then I may be tempted to join the proper anti-Souness camp. Fowler is old, knackered and useless, and Man City would be laughing if we bought him. If he comes in, I would seriously worry about the future of our team, and the mental state of our manager. And if we pay any money for him, let alone 2m pounds, we would be stupid.

I'd prefer Cole to Fowler, but Fowler does have the skill and goalscoring ability, he just somehow needs to find it again. Maybe it's his confidence or maybe it's lack of good coaching (Houllier doesn't exactly get the best out of his players, neither does Keegan) but I believe he can get back to his old self. Even if he's only halfway there he's a damn good player.

And it's possible that City look to offload him cheaply just to get rid of his wages... hmm. I can't really think of that many possible targets available for £1-2m, as I can't imagine us spending any more than that unless we get some cash for Yorke, Cole, Todd and Flitcroft.

Fowler is not worth 1-2m pounds in my opinion. He was good at Liverpool, and OK at Leeds, but rubbish at Citeh. He has little in the way of real pace that he had at Liverpool because of his injuries, and lacks his ruthless finishing that made him so feared. If we sign him it will be because we're overawed by his reputation and younger days at Liverpool, and that he's a good friend of Souness. It won't be because he's still a great player.

Getting rid of deadwood like Ward, Carsley etc is one thing, but falling out with and then getting rid of his own purchases is quite another.

In a sentence and a half that is as accurate a summation of "the Souness years" as I have seen.

But see Rev, that's looking at the glass as if it's half-empty.

It's true that Souness has a habit of falling out with players, but to sum up his managerial career with Rovers in that manner certainly belittles his efforts for the club as a whole.

The "glass is half-full" view? Personally, I'd sum up "the Souness years" by saying: Promotion; survival, a cup victory and Europe; sixth place and Europe; and survival.

I feel the decision is ultimately right, people get all messed up by Cole's upturn in effort in the last half dozen games and suddenly he's a crowd favourite. Up til then he was getting (justifiably) a lot of stick from the crowd (and this messageboard).

That's about the most accurate statement I have seen on the Cole issue. It seemed like for a season and three quarters everyone wants shut of Mr Offside, hands on hips, won't chase, can't hit a barn door Cole, then he has a couple of games where he breaks a sweat and people think he's great. If he goes great, if he stays not as great.

For the Souness out bandwagon, does the report not say a decision was made at a board meeting, Cole has clearly taken the huff and his ego is bigger than the boss'. So sod off. It's a TEAM game. It's Blackburn Rovers, not Cole's Rovers. The man felt threatened by Dickov what a pussy, he was afraid of having his lack of effort shown for all the world to see.

Bob, mark me down in the "incredibly fed up" brigade.

Put me in there as well. We NEED Andy Cole to teach the youngsters how to become a top striker, something Dickov can't provide.

How can Cole teach anything, clearly someone needs to remind Cole himself what a top striker is like. As for teaching the young uns, I dare say it was only the arrival on the scene of young Stead that made Cole buck up his ideas. I have become absolutely sick of hearing "pass to Cole, offside. The man has lost it, done finished and is being paid far far more than he deserves.

Let's have Cole leave hopefully recouping a bit of cash, sit back and if Chelsea buy that other forward Drog??, try to work something for Gudjohnsen. No guts no glory. They loaned a blonde guy to Brum last year.

Edited by USABlue

Put me in the indifferent camp. If he stays fair enough as long as he puts in the effort every match.

If however his ego has got the better of him then the Souness has done the right thing.No point in having a disgruntled has been in the dressing room.

Thanks for the memories Andrew Cole.

I'll now shamelessly quote myself from more than a month ago in the Paul Dickov thread:

If Dickov is being brought in as a replacement for Cole, then yes, a mistake is being made.  If, as it seems, Dickov is being brought in to take Yorke's place, then it is an excellent move.  End of story.

And so I'll stick by my original statement... Dickov is a nice squad player and a great replacement for (as well as the antithesis of) Yorke, but he should not be charged with the responsibility of filling Cole's boots.

The only two things that would prove to me that Souness hasn't lost the plot are: (1) a move for a (relatively) big-time striker, e.g. Beattie; or (2) the total resurgence of Matt Jansen. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for either one.

Put me in the indifferent camp. If he stays fair enough as long as he puts in the effort every match.

If however his ego has got the better of him then the Souness has done the right thing.No point in having a disgruntled has been in the dressing room.

Thanks for the memories Andrew Cole.

Ditto.

I'm inclined to agree with USA Blue. This season, Cole only decided to put some effort in when Jon Stead arrived. His efforts changed for the better after that.

To be honest, I'm now wondering if the three (Flitcroft, Cole and Todd) are partly responsible for at least some of the poor performances - it must be hard to lift your team when key members are sulking.

This decision was made by the Board. It's not Souness who said he couldn't work with Cole, it's Cole who said he couldn't work with Souness. I'm very disappointed with Andrew. He would do well to remember that Souness has been there, done that, etc.

It's also interesting to note Cole's attitude towards the arrival of Paul Dickov. Why should he be so nervous about another striker coming in (especially knowing that Yorke was expected to leave) unless he knew in his heart that he either couldn't cut it or he could but would have to keep putting the effort in for his place?

I'll throw myself into the "upset if he leaves" side of the argument, but only from the point of view that it leaves us incredibly lightweight up front. There is no way of convincing me that we have the firepower, minus Cole, to stay in the Premiership.

This is the only reason that I would be upset, because we cannot afford to have disruptive influences around the first team (and I know that some of you will say that the biggest disruptive influence is in charge). As has been said already, everybody has to pull the same way and, like it or not, Souness is in charge and if players do not like the way he runs things they, and we, are better off without them here.

I suppose I naiively thought that everybody would behave like grown-ups and return to pre-season prepared to start with a clean slate !

The LET report suggested that the decision to make Cole available for transfer was made at a board meeting. Therefore is it not likely that, once the decision was made discussion turned to freeing up more cash than originally intended to tempt some kind of replacement.

I like the idea of one last hurrah with Shearer if he becomes available. It's written in the stars - the legend returns to win us the FA Cup with his last contributions as a Premiership player !!!

Back in the real world I cannot offer any suitable replacement names, if indeed the club would look to replace Cole. Presumably, if Cole ends up at Fulham, we'll end up with Radzinski.

good move if true!

I for one (and only?), will be very pleased.

Cole is an average striker holding up an enourmous wage, and could/should be replaced with another avarage striker on considerable lower wages. Im not a bit worried about loosing cole, my only concern is if we do this deal without any financial gaining at all.

Cole is over the hill, and will soon be joining yorke in the reserves somewhere. Hopefully not in BRFC on 55k a week.

If given the choice between Souness and Cole, who would you keep?

To be honest, my answer to that now wouldn't be as black and white as it would've been 12 months ago.

Nice one T4E! laugh.gif

biggrin.gif I wish I could claim that was deliberate!

rover.gif good news if you ask me,let the king sulk-sulk on the kings road,pity we will be paying for it though,another master stroke by sourness tinykit.gif

rover.gif i aint a cole fan -to me he has been stealing his 55k for the last 2 season's,this is though another nail in sourness's coffin. tinykit.gif

I would be dissappointed if Cole leaves, particularly if we then have to pony up his wages at the next club.

I think Rovers are a better team with Cole playing than without.

I was looking forward to seeing Cole playing in a side with two wingers again( Emerton and De Pedro) giving him better service, with Fergie and Tugay in the middle.

Coles best work for us came in a balanced side-Duff+Gillespie, Dunn+Tugay.

Still, I also wanted Chopper for my tenth birthday and a got a Skateboard.

Hey-ho.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.