BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Cole has escaped from Stalag Ewood, stand by for red-top exclusives in the coming days/weeks dishing the dirt on his non-relationship with Souness.

Should make for interesting reading.

ther eis no doubt he did us proud when we won that trophy but lets look at it from a slightly different angle

he is NOT nor will he ever be bigger than BRFC.

The club have done the right thing and got rid of a bad apple even if he is class player. He has scored 1 in 3 for us but really it should be a much better scoring ratio.

Grasping at apples maybe but for me its so long and time to move on.

A big financial headache has been removed from the shoulders of BRFC and now we can make efforts to rid the club of the lazy one, the thug and the unfortunate one.

its time to move on tinykit.giftinykit.gif

COLE STILL HAS HUNGER - COLEMAN

By Duncan Bech, PA Sport

Fulham manager Chris Coleman believes Andy Cole still has the hunger to succeed after signing the veteran striker from Blackburn. The former Manchester United forward has signed a two-year deal with the Cottagers after slipping down the pecking order at Ewood Park.

Coleman has been looking to fill the void left by Louis Saha’s departure for Old Trafford in January, a move which left the London club short of firepower. The transfer of the 32-year-old was announced by Coleman after today’s friendly with Celtic.

“We’re delighted to have signed Andy,” he said. “His pedigree speaks for itself. He had a medical yesterday and everything was fine. He joins us for training on Tuesday. There are just one or two things that Blackburn have to sign for his release but everything has been organised and he’s a Fulham player.”

He added: “I think Andy’s got a point to prove and he’s still eager. Behind Alan Shearer he’s the Premiership’s highest goalscorer.”

Rovers had given Cole permission to talk with Fulham after allowing him to leave Ewood Park on a free transfer. The striker, who joined Blackburn in December 2001 for £7.5million, still had a year to run on his contract with Rovers. But with fellow strikers Jon Stead, Matt Jansen, Paul Gallagher and Paul Dickov all netting in Friday’s 8-0 pre-season rout of German part-timers SG Schorndorf, his exit was on the cards.

Rovers boss Graeme Souness has revealed that another former Manchester United star, Dwight Yorke, was his sixth choice forward - and former Arsenal striker Cole has decided to return to London after netting just twice in the final 11 matches last season for Blackburn, who preserved their top-flight status with four wins in their last six games.

Coleman has a higher opinion of the player. “We’ve been looking at Andy for some time and now was the right moment to move for him, so that’s what we’ve done,” said the Welshman. “It didn’t work out for him at Blackburn for various reasons but that’s nothing to do with us. We’re very pleased he’s a Fulham player and we’re looking forward to working with him.

“We need 11 hungry players on the pitch and Andy is still hungry. He wants to succeed and that’s why we’ve brought him to the club.”

Grasping at apples maybe but for me its so long and time to move on.

Grasping at apples? Not heard that expression before. Is that 1864speak?!? I'd copyright that if I were you. biggrin.gif

More articles about the transfer -

Football 365 - Cottagers sign Andy Cole

and the Sky Sports webpage - COTTAGERS CLINCH COLE CAPTURE.

It seems that Cole has managed to come out this alright as he only had a year left on his contract at Ewood but seems to have got a two-year deal from Fulham.

Cole,Cole Andy Andy Cole

He gets the ball and scores a goal,

Andy Andy Cole! tinykit.gif

Thank goodness we'll never hear that rubbish again in the Blackburn End.

It used to get sung every time he missed a sitter which was infuriating.

Shall we have a vote on how many goals he'll score this season?

I'm going for 12 (now watch him score 25!) laugh.gif

He'll start off well - bag a few in his first couple of matches (everyone on here will be up in arms saying we should have kept him wink.gif ) then fade away and end up with 9 for the season.

Also it was mentioned on sky that he was bought for an undisclosed fee. I realise this still could be free but it seems way may have got something for him after all.

Taken from Fulham FC official homepage

Andy Cole signs for Fulham Football Club...

Fulham Football Club has today announced the signing of former England International Striker Andy Cole from Blackburn on a two year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 32 year old striker has impeccable football credentials both at domestic and international levels. He began his career at Arsenal as a schoolboy graduating from the Lilleshall Centre of Excellence. After a brief spell with Fulham in 1991/92 he went on to play for Bristol City, Newcastle United and latterly Manchester United, where as a record signing he scored 121 goals in 231 appearances.

Cole joined Blackburn Rovers in December 2001 and scored the winning goal in the 2002 Worthington Cup final against Tottenham Hotspur in Cardiff. He is a truly prolific striker and is the second highest goal scorer in Premiership history.

Manager Chris Coleman commented:

'I am delighted to welcome Andy to Fulham, his experience and proven goal-scoring ability were key factors in my decision to add him to the squad. I know he will be one hundred percent committed every time he pulls on the Fulham shirt, and I am sure that his knowledge and understanding of the game will benefit the less experienced players around him.'

I thought that when I heard it on SSN. Wonder if that means we paid up his contract, and they paid the difference, so he could sign a 2 year deal rather than just take on his current contract? Might be plausible if the loyalty bonus was date-based, rather than playing for X years at the club.

I dont think we will replace him.

I think more will be expected from Matt Jansen this season as a result of this.

Come on Matty this is YOUR season!!

By the way, Thanks for the memories Andy, I for one am dissapointed to see you leave but as many other board members have said...

Time to move on tinykit.gif

I think more will be expected from Matt Jansen this season as a result of this.

My sentiments exactly... he rarely had a sniff of a run last season, and with good reason, we were sticking goals away fine. Now's a chance for Matt to prove himself. August - January should be the time where he works like he's never worked before. And lord knows, all the fans want him back, for reasons other than better results.

Yeah now that Cole's gone it leaves a gap in the team upfront along side Stead. And Dickov, Jansen & Gally will be fighting for that place, and maybe this will bring the best out of them. Also it's a possiblilty that we'll sign another striker ... yeah really well maybe

I think Stead is deceptively stronger than he looks. And with his height, he can lean in where Cole woulda used brute strength. I doubt presence will be a problem. While I'm not comparing quality, Arsenal dont exactly have a huge forward, either, and neither did Barca last year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.